Westerdam Or Nieuw Amsterdam??

minimartha

Westerdam Or Nieuw Amsterdam?

We are in our mid 40's and usually cruise in March for our anniversary. We've cruised on RC, Celebrity and Carnival but never HAL.

We usually hang out in our room a fair amount in the evenings and don't really go to the shows much anymore. We do enjoy lots of sun, the pools, exercising and specialty restaurants. We prefer mid size ships to mega ships. We love aft facing rooms

We are looking at aft facing balcony cabin (VA or VB) or smallest suites

Which one? And any info appreciated!! :)

The Nieuw Amsterdam is an improved derivative of the same class of ships.

The NA is newer, has much more pool/sun deck space, additional specialty restaurant (very popular) and a nice Silk Den lounge.

If you want to sample HAL product don't look further than the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam (sister ships). This is exactly what you are looking for.

Do you think going for the mini suite is a must or would an aft balcony be adequate? I take baths so on many lines we get a suite simply to get a bathtub. I do like to lay in the sun on my balcony

I found a lot of info on the NA cabins but nothing on Westerdam

We have sailed on both ships and do like both ships.

The Nieuw Amsterdam has one extra specialty restaurant that the Westerdam does not have -- the Tamarind (Pan Asian food). We love that restaurant the best. The Nieuw Amsterdam also has the Silk Den for pre-dinner cocktails. And it overlooks the Lido pool and you can see out into the ocean.

The majority of the cabins on the Vista class (Westerdam) and Signature class (Nieuw Amsterdam) have chairs and ottomans on the balconies and verandahs. The aft cabins will have at least one lounge chair.

Both of these ships have baths in most of the cabins--veranda, ocean view and suites. There are some exceptions. Once with a aft cabin I found it too sunny and hot out there on the veranda. Had a hard time adjusting to not seeing where we were going; just where we had been! Just a personal thing I guess as I certainly wasn't driving the ship! Can one be a backseat driver on a ship?

Edited by catl331
wording

The stern balconies on decks 4 and 5 of the W'dam are about 12 feet deep, while those on the NA are about half that. The deck 4 W'dam balconies have a lot of exposure, while the deck 5 ones are completely covered:

attachment.php?attachmentid=276068&d=1371614118

The NA balconies are more equally sized:

attachment.php?attachmentid=160782&d=1277843903

Do you think going for the mini suite is a must or would an aft balcony be adequate? I take baths so on many lines we get a suite simply to get a bathtub. I do like to lay in the sun on my balcony

I found a lot of info on the NA cabins but nothing on Westerdam

IMO anything containing a word "suite" is waste of money except some outstanding minis on Princess.

All aft balconies on the Nieuw Amsterdam is perfect balance of size/privacy/sun/shade.

The best choice for non-suite aft looking balcony on the Nieuw Amsterdam will be deck 7. They are the largest.

Technically they can fit 2 full loungers but that will be tight.

Plenty of space for balcony chairs.

Aft looking balcony cabin on the Nieuw Amsterdam

2ptdq8p.jpg

The Westerdam has slanted stern. Therefore aft balconies are deeper but most of them are totally exposed or provide minimal privacy.

Those on deck 5 are covered.

By size, all aft balconies can fit 2 full loungers.

Extra large balconies are on decks 4 and 5.

We don't book balcony cabins on HAL Signature class ships any more.

These ships have numerous, spacious and private sun/pool decks, so there is no need to pay for a balcony for us. We save and spend on hydropool (a must) and specialty dining.

Edited by cruisetrail

Westerdam Or Nieuw Amsterdam?

We are in our mid 40's and usually cruise in March for our anniversary. We've cruised on RC, Celebrity and Carnival but never HAL.

We usually hang out in our room a fair amount in the evenings and don't really go to the shows much anymore. We do enjoy lots of sun, the pools, exercising and specialty restaurants. We prefer mid size ships to mega ships. We love aft facing rooms

We are looking at aft facing balcony cabin (VA or VB) or smallest suites

Which one? And any info appreciated!! :)

The Westerdam (or the Queen of Horns as some of us call her) has the highest repeat passenger ratio in the fleet next to the Prinsendam. I was on her for the first time in 2012 and now I know why.

Great crew, great ship and we had good service in the MDR.

Have been on both ships and prefer the Westerdam by far. JT513 has also made an important point on the balcony sizes.

Either ship is fine of course - both carry their positives and negatives. The Westerdam doesn't have the Tamarind & Silk Den that the N.A. does, but it is still our preference.

Whichever one you choose, have a fantastic cruise.

We've sailed on Westerdam four or five times and love the ship.

Our "best cruise ever" was aboard Westerdam!

Great ship, great staff.

That being said, we cruised twice on Nieuw Amsterdam in 2012 and we love that ship as well. And as KK mentioned - Tamarind and the Silk Den are awesome venues.

To me, it's a win-win, no matter which one you choose.

I guess NA would be better for you if you really enjoy specialty restaurants.

The stern balconies on decks 4 and 5 of the W'dam are about 12 feet deep, while those on the NA are about half that. The deck 4 W'dam balconies have a lot of exposure, while the deck 5 ones are completely covered:

attachment.php?attachmentid=276068&d=1371614118

The NA balconies are more equally sized:

attachment.php?attachmentid=160782&d=1277843903

We had a wonderful aft balcony on the Westerdam, fourth floor. Other than a suite, we selected this cabing for the wake view and the size of the balcony. The NA aft balconies are quite a bit smaller.

We don't book balcony cabins on HAL Signature class ships any more.

These ships have numerous, spacious and private sun/pool decks, so there is no need to pay for a balcony for us. We save and spend on hydropool (a must) and specialty dining.

Great information you guys!!! You're making me excited to try HAL for the first time :D

So tell me about the pools and hydropool? And private decks? Really :) more more info lol

The hydropool is a body temperature, mineral water pool with a whirlpool in the middle, two tall spigots that offer a great shoulder/neck/head water massage, bubby jets along the sides of the pool, and a metallic lounge rack at one end so that one enjoys the warm, bubbly water. Included with the hydopool is a thermal suite containing warmed ceraminc loungers, armomatherapy showers and steam rooms, a sauna: a most relaxing combination of pleasures. Locker rooms and showers are also available for those who want them.

These amenities are things that I most enjoy on the Vista and Signature Class ships!

Great information you guys!!! You're making me excited to try HAL for the first time :D

So tell me about the pools and hydropool? And private decks? Really :) more more info lol

You can take a cruise right now:

ms Nieuw Amsterdam & ms Eurodam - Video Review of HAL Signature Class Ships

More info in the review I am still working on.

Enjoy your cruise!

That sounds amazing! Going to enjoy the review RIGHT NOW . Can I leave NOW.

We just booked Westerdam. AFt Balcony for now but may upgrade it... :)

I was able to upgrade (paid) to the aft SC suite on Deck 6. If you have any questions about that location, I would be happy to share my observations with you.

You can take a cruise right now:

ms Nieuw Amsterdam & ms Eurodam - Video Review of HAL Signature Class Ships

More info in the review I am still working on.

Enjoy your cruise!

A very nicely done video indeed! Thank you. If I didn't have a Westerdam cruise in 5 weeks, I might have considered changing ships. With this being our first HAL cruise, I hope that you haven't set my expectations too high for the Westerdam. Even though it is older, I hope it is at similar. I wish you had a video for the Westerdam. :D

A very nicely done video indeed! Thank you. If I didn't have a Westerdam cruise in 5 weeks, I might have considered changing ships. With this being our first HAL cruise, I hope that you haven't set my expectations too high for the Westerdam. Even though it is older, I hope it is at similar. I wish you had a video for the Westerdam. :D

The Westerdam is a lovely ship. I have been on the Zuiderdam, Westerdam, and the Noordam of that Class. HAL made positive strides in the decor of each of the ships. In comparison to the Eurodam, whose decor is unattractive in my opinion, the Westerdam is a beauty. (The Nieuw Amsterdam's decor is superior to the Eurodam's, again, in my opinion.)

I believe you will enjoy her.

The Westerdam is a lovely ship. I have been on the Zuiderdam, Westerdam, and the Noordam of that Class. HAL made positive strides in the decor of each of the ships. In comparison to the Eurodam, whose decor is unattractive in my opinion, the Westerdam is a beauty. (The Nieuw Amsterdam's decor is superior to the Eurodam's, again, in my opinion.)

I believe you will enjoy her.

The more I learn about HAL, the better it looks. I am glad that I will get to see for myself in just 34 days. :)

You won't be disappointed with either choice.

The N.A. is newer and offers more options to occupy your time such as an extra restaurant. It also has onboard cabanas available.

Oh good point I forgot about that one.

For the OP, the cabanas are fine IF you want one. Otherwise they take up space on the Lido and the other deck. It's one of the things we didn't like about the ship - but we don't do cabanas. We do balconies but like our space on the Lido

So, you see, it all depends on what appeals to you - if you are going to do a cabana - that is another feature as a plus for the newer ship.

for us It's another reason to do the Westerdam.

Everything is subjective :D

The fact is that the Nieuw Amsterdam has less public pool and sun deck space as compared to the Westerdam.

Comparing the two ships by reviewing the current published HAL deck plans one can conclude the following:

Lido deck (9): Westerdam has the complete Lido pool area for public use, NA has the same Lido pool area except one side is private cabanas. Aft pool areas are similar with the NA showing more chairs where the Westerdam has more clear deck area.

Observation/Panorama deck (10): Westerdam has a substantial open deck space just aft of the Crow's nest. This area is now staterooms on the NA.

Observation/Sports deck (11): Westerdam has a small open deck, NA has a few more private cabanas.

Even if one was to include the private cabanas it would still be wrong to say that the Nieuw Amsterdam has much more (or more at all) pool/deck space than the Westerdam.

There really is no purpose in being an over-zealous fan of particular HAL ships to the point of misinforming others. The HAL ships have pluses and minuses, and offer different appeal to other people.

igraf

The Nieuw Amsterdam is an improved derivative of the same class of ships.

The NA is newer, has much more pool/sun deck space, additional specialty restaurant (very popular) and a nice Silk Den lounge.

If you want to sample HAL product don't look further than the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam (sister ships). This is exactly what you are looking for.

Edited by igraf