Upgrading/Downgrading Free Classic Drinks Package

Newbury newbie

We're first time cruisers booked on the Eclipse in May. Got a few questions about the drinks packages.

Currently, we've booked via a travel agent and selected the classic drinks package as part of our 123Go deal.

Firstly, I'm considering upgrading my card to a Premium (alcohol) package. I've seen somewhere that this would cost $11.95 a day to upgrade. The Celebrity website suggests that the difference in cost between classic and premium is just $10 and you could save $5 a day if booked on-line. Can I upgrade on-line if originally booked via a travel agent or do I have to go to them? Or should I just wait till on board and do it there?

Secondly, as my wife doesn't drink alcohol can we change her Classic (alcohol) package to the Premium non-alcoholic package for no extra charge?

:confused::confused:

We're first time cruisers booked on the Eclipse in May. Got a few questions about the drinks packages.

Currently, we've booked via a travel agent and selected the classic drinks package as part of our 123Go deal.

Firstly, I'm considering upgrading my card to a Premium (alcohol) package. I've seen somewhere that this would cost $11.95 a day to upgrade. The Celebrity website suggests that the difference in cost between classic and premium is just $10 and you could save $5 a day if booked on-line. Can I upgrade on-line if originally booked via a travel agent or do I have to go to them? Or should I just wait till on board and do it there?

Secondly, as my wife doesn't drink alcohol can we change her Classic (alcohol) package to the Premium non-alcoholic package for no extra charge?

:confused::confused:

The cost to upgrade is 10.00 per day, plus 15% tip, or 11.50 per day. The 15% tip is already included with your classic package from Celebrity. The 5.00 savings if booked on line is if you are paying for the package outright and you do not have it through the 1-2-3 promotion. And no, you can't downgrade your wife's package. But, if you wish to upgrade, you can do that and have her stay with the classic. The premium package increases your beer choices from 6.00 to 13.00 and your wine and mixed drinks from 8.00 to 13.00. You also get Evian, San Pellegrino and Vitamin waters as well as Red Bull with the premium upgrade.

I would wait until you get on board and see if the upgrade is right for you. You don't have to upgrade on the first day either, you can wait until as few as 4 days left to upgrade.

Hi SNJCruisers, thanks for the reply.

If booked separately the classic (alcohol) package is significantly more than the premium non-alcohol package. Like £230 more for 14 nights. Why would they not allow a down grade? Is it just the (illogical) terms of the 123go offer?

I don't think the OP would get a refund if the wife downgrades, since she didn't pay for it in the first place, or am I missing something? She'll still be able to enjoy all the non-alcoholic drinks under the classic package, which I know is less than the premium package but still extensive. Anyway, the rules as interpreted here on the boards are that both persons in the cabin must choose the classic beverage package or else both choose another perk. I've never seen any mention of one adult downgrading but a call to Celebrity should give a definitive answer.

Hi cynbar,

You're slightly missing my point here. We're both currently on the classic and I am looking to upgrade to premium to get a wider choice of beers, cocktails and wine, which I will get my money's worth! As my wife doesn't drink alcohol at all we thought she would benefit more by having the full choice of the premium non-alcohol package. We weren't expecting any refund, just a straight swap to what is a cheaper package.

Hi cynbar,

You're slightly missing my point here. We're both currently on the classic and I am looking to upgrade to premium to get a wider choice of beers, cocktails and wine, which I will get my money's worth! As my wife doesn't drink alcohol at all we thought she would benefit more by having the full choice of the premium non-alcohol package. We weren't expecting any refund, just a straight swap to what is a cheaper package.

We're in the same situation. My DH doesn't drink alcohol and we asked our TA if it was possible with the 1,2,3 package to get him the premium non-alcohol instead of classic alcohol. Like you said, it's asking for a swap to a cheaper package. But we were told no, it's not possible.:(

I'm sure its not officially possible to downgrade to the premium NA, but I would ask someone on board, like the food and beverage manager. If you are nice, I'd imagine there is a chance since it does cost less (and you are already paying for an upgrade for you)

My wife has the non alcohol classic for our upcoming cruise. She wants to upgrade to premium non alcohol. I was told by Celebrity (phone call as they do not respond to emails) that if possible she could but they could not give me a price for the upgrade.

As far as down grading......its not costing them any money so I think the Food and Beverage Department will accommodate....you are not being unreasonable and are saving them some money.

Don't plan on being allowed to change from the free Classic to a Premium Non-alcohol. It has been asked over and over, and always 'no' was the answer.

If she wants drinks that are not available, she will need to either pay as she goes, or buy the upgrade.

Here's what I think the thinking is;

They've already given her the Classic, it's a bonus for them that she won't drink alcohol and will only take advantage of the items that are available on the Classic NON ALCH package. If they allow customers to start substituting the Premium Non ALCH package then they are going to start giving away more expensive coffees, more expensive waters, flavored and normal, Red Bulls etc. that otherwise they would not have to give out. It would add up eventually.

While on face value it might appear cheaper for them to allow it, but it's not, because people that are in this situation are not going to drink the booze anyway. If you were buying it then it makes sense, you certainly wouldn't want to pay for something that you are not going to use. But since it's a promo the other factors come into play.

Hi cynbar,

Sister waited until she was on board. They did swap the one non-alcoholic out with no refund as for yours my sister paid $80.50 but should do it on board hope this helps

Sister waited until she was on board. They did swap the one non-alcoholic out with no refund as for yours my sister paid $80.50 but should do it on board hope this helps

Forgive me, but I don't quite understand what you're saying there. Can you repeat that in another way please? :confused::confused:

Is it possible for you to have the Classic drinks package and your wife to have either the on board credit or the gratuities paid? If so this may solve your problem.

No, both passengers have to choose the same item.