Group cruise - many first timers - ship question

mtsnd1900

We are putting together a group cruise for many people (family, friends, some with kids). Many of us have been on cruises before, some, it is their first experience.

A few of those who have sailed want to do new ports (understandable), and view the Western as a good choice (Roatan, Belize, Costa Maya, Cozumel) aboard the Vision of the Seas.

I am just concerned about the first impression this ship will have for cruisers, and if it is a viable option. Sure, it went through a rehab, but is there enough to do and keep the interest? Our last few cruises were on Freedom, Allure, Adventure, and the Carnival Dream.

My opinion is that the ship selected should be a more premium ship, even if it is not Royal. Epic, Dream, Getaway, Oasis, Allure are all other options and similar pricing, just the same destinations.

Bottom line.. Is the Vision worth going on? Enough entertainment on it?

I think it depends on your group's interests on if you'd all be happy on the ship.

Our first cruise was on a smaller ship, our 2nd was on Grandeur. I think its a good size for both people who have or haven't cruised before. If you haven't cruised I think there's enough on the ship to check out & not be bored. There's also nothing to compare it to, so you wouldn't be missing the flowrider if you never cruised. Again, though, I'm not looking for a carousel or a zip line on a ship to keep me busy. I'm happy with a pool, a lounge & waking up in a new port everyday. :)

To me, it almost sounds like you're not very excited about the prospect of a smaller/older ship. If it were me trying to plan this trip, I would make a list of ships, including highlights and give it to each group going. Tell them to list their top 3 ship choice and go with the top vote getter.

For a 1st cruise, this is a great starter ship! Those who have never cruised won't know the difference and will be awed. Remember, many of us started cruising before the great big ships with all the bells and whistles, and yet, we keep coming back! Your friends will, too!

We just planned a mixed group cruise(some experienced and some first timers) for July. We went with a Voyager Class ship because it is large enough to appeal to everyone and small enough to be manageable for the new cruisers. The Vision Class may not have enough going on to appeal to everyone.

Thanks for the input everyone! I have the pros/cons list made up for all the possible sailings to select from, and we are meeting to whittle through them. Our last group cruise was on the Carnival Dream - I thought it was a great ship. Will look around online to see about what is offered on the ship, just don't want people to get a bad first impression of sailing... Then again, if they start with the Oasis class ship, there is nowhere to go but down!