New York

DEEDIA

Not actually a Cruise departure this time but transport related issue. We are looking to fly into Newark (EWR) for a 4 night stay in New York, either Park South Hotel or the Hotel Metro.

Is it easy to get from the Airport to the Hotel, I have looked and found either a Bus or the Air train and then on the NJ Transit. Are these services posted and easy to follow. Is payment accepted on the travel day or in advance.

As we are from the UK the size and distances of things are so different and make travel a bit un nerving, Thank you Diane

Not actually a Cruise departure this time but transport related issue. We are looking to fly into Newark (EWR) for a 4 night stay in New York, either Park South Hotel or the Hotel Metro.

Is it easy to get from the Airport to the Hotel, I have looked and found either a Bus or the Air train and then on the NJ Transit. Are these services posted and easy to follow. Is payment accepted on the travel day or in advance.

As we are from the UK the size and distances of things are so different and make travel a bit un nerving, Thank you Diane

Take the airport bus into NYC. Then taxi to your hotel. EASIEST all the way around. Walk outside of baggage claim and get on the bus. Luggage goes underneath. DIRECT service to NYC. If you take train into the City, you have to take the stupid AirTrain (pay to transfer to NJ Transit), then transfer to the NJ Transit train. I have done it a couple of times and the bus is far, far easier.

http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp

When you decide on a hotel, post back and we will help you find the correct location to get off the bus. The Metro hotel appears to be closest to the Bryant Park stop and the Park South closest to the Grand Central stop.

If you are flying out of Newark, consider buying a round trip bus ticket.

DEEDIA ~

Excellent advice, as always, from Greatam. Although I usually take the train, in your case the bus service makes much more sense--it's much more convenient for someone traveling with luggage, and it involves much less stress if you don't really know your way around.

According to the Coach USA/Olympia Trails website, you can buy your ticket on the bus. (Though I assume they accept payment in cash only, so of course you'll need to have U.S. dollars to hand.) As 138east notes, there's a savings if you purchase round-trip (=return) rather than single-trip tickets.

By the way... for what it's worth: Of the two hotels you mention, the Hotel Metro is the more centrally located. I walk past it frequently. It's literally around the corner from the Empire State Building, right in the heart of Manhattan. The Park South is a little more out of the way--not a bad location by any means, but a bit further from most of the places you'll probably want to visit during your stay in the city. (Years ago, I worked on in office on Park Avenue South, around the corner from the Park South Hotel.)

Well its booked, but all change, we chose to book through our usual TA so the choice of Hotels changed. We are now going in the Paramount Hotel on 46th street at 8th Avenue. It came in at a good price and seems a decent location. We are still flying into Newark so the Bus looks like its on. Thank you for your assistance and opinions. Badatz, not quite there yet :D. Ps anymore input would be gratefully accepted. We will be arriving at EWR on Sunday 4th May approximately 12.25 and returning to EWR on the 8th. Thank you Diane.

Paramount is in a great location. I used to stay there regularly, until I learned about "hotel miles". Now I stop in to use their comfy lobby and restrooms when needed.

Hotel rooms are small, and are "interestingly decorated".

Got2Cruise, no problem in moving around the area especially if people recommend better places for eating and shopping. The Hotel will only be used for taking that well earned rest. A nice Steak one evening would be nice, So feel free to point me in the right direction, :D Also please what will the weather be like for May the 4th, what cloths should we pack, Thank you Diane

Edited by DEEDIA