Can you bring sea shells back on board?

We too got busted bringing back sea shells from our Disney cruise when our daughter was 12.

And it was posted when you left the ship to not bring any shells, plants or anything back on the ship (Cast away Cay) .

Without our knowing she emptied her sand pail full of shell into one of the beach bags.

Upon returning to the ship I put the bag on the conveyer belt to go thru the scanner it tipped over more, and about 50 sea shells fell out jammed the belt............oooooops:eek:

So now security is looking to see whose bag it was and I did the only thing I could think of.............

I pointed to my husband:D

They took the broken shells, fixed the belt and we were on our merry way shell-less.

Sea Ya

I love collecting shells and other wonderful things and I'm wondering if there is any reason that I cannot bring my great finds back on board ship after visiting a port. I know you cannot bring food off and on the ship, but don't know about other types of things.

We were not aware of the rules but found out when our shells got confiscated about 4-5 years ago. No shells allowed onboard.

That is specifically permitted. :)

I really wondered about that, because on the Sapphire Princess, I saw a lot of people with shell leis.

DH hates beaches. Growing up, beach combing was important on my side of the family. Growing up in California, walking down the beach hunting for shells was what we did. None of us just wanted to lay on the beach & get burned. This gives me less reason to rent a cabana.

Why walk down the beach if we can't bring back any shells?

Edited by knittinggirl

Oop! I guess I have been doing something I shouldn't have! I have brought back a few tiny shells each cruise I have been on, I am talking about maybe one small one from each beach, in a plastic zip loc. Never had a problem, didn't think I would. Last summer, I brought back some pink sand, small amount, from Bermuda...same thing, didn't think about it and it was in my suitcase. I know it says, no soil, no live animals, etc. I didn't consider sand washed thousands of times by the sea, to be soil. I guess, I just read the rules wrong. I am apologizing here to you all....LOL I won't do it again. :(

When we went on our first cruise for our 20th anniversary we missed our kids terribly, as it was the first time we had ever left them. So I collected little things to bring back to them.

We found a lot of shells, not just on the cruise but at the hotel we stayed at a few days after the cruise on Tortola, BVI. We packed all the shells into a towel, stuffed it into a plastic bag and put it in our suitcase. No problem getting it home.

When we get home we bring out the bag of shells to show the kids....the bag moves!! Sure enough we had a crab in one of the shell! Fortunately we had a couple of salt water fish tanks at the time and we put him in one of them and he lived for several years!! Our little bit of Tortola to remember our first cruise!

What if you buy a seashell and have the receipt?

We were in Cozumel last week on oasis and they (Mexican security people at port) took a nice shell away from a man who said he purchased it but was unable to produce a receipt.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by Motorman23

I have taken large sized rocks for my saltwater aquarium at home from every port I visited. Never had a problem yet, they were in the 1-3lb range and that is alot more illegal than taking shells! :p

Edited by jp30338