Princess to RCI

We have sailed both Princess & Royal but prefer Royal overall. We judge our cruise lines by the individual Ship not the cruise lines in total. I will agree with the comment that the staff are more business like on Princess while on RCCL they seem to really be having fun. Between both lines, we have always had nice and friendly staff. Food see no differance, entertainment better on RCCL. I am sure you will have an enjoyable cruise.

You seem to be very open to change and different experiences, so I think you'll enjoy RCI. I've been on four lines, and I've found they all have some things I think they do exceptionally well and some things I would like them to do differently.

The only time I REALLY struggled with a cruise was the first couple days on the Rhapsody (our second cruise). Cruising was still new to me, and I compared everything to my first cruise, which is kind of like a first love...you can't ever replicate it, although you may find that later loves are even better!:D Once I realized things weren't necessarily better or worse, just different, I had a blast.

That's what I want to make sure NOT to do! :-)

I have LOVED both of my cruises with Princess, but I also want to love this next cruise! I'm also already wanting to get onto Celebrity to check that one out, too.

Oh--and Gig 'Em!

That's what I want to make sure NOT to do! :-)

I have LOVED both of my cruises with Princess, but I also want to love this next cruise! I'm also already wanting to get onto Celebrity to check that one out, too.

Oh--and Gig 'Em!

I'm finally on a Celebrity cruise in May...can't wait!:D

I have cruised multiple time with both Princess and RCCL and am platinum on both lines.

Frankly I really enjoy both cruise lines. There are more similarities than differences and some of the differences are just a bit picky.

Regarding activities, I found that a great deal depends on the particular cruise staff that is on board for a particular cruise.

My biggest piece of advice is not to compare the cruise lines. I think that is a mistake rather than an asset.

Variety of what makes life fun and cruising two or more different cruise lines adds to the fun.

I have found that when people go into a cruise with a mind set of comparisons, it actually takes away from the enjoyment. The mindset becomes....well this line does this better...I don't like the way this line does this....this line has better/worse this....

You get the idea. Both are great cruise lines. Enjoy each for what each as to offer and try not to compare. You will have a fun cruise on RCCL just as you had on Princess.

Regarding other passengers, I think so much depends on the itinerary, how long the cruise is, etc. Even two cruises back to back on the same ship may have a different passenger "energy".

I have met too many people on board my cruises that were too busy making comparisons (Holland does this better...RCCL has this....I like the way Celebreity ships have this....etc) That they failed to enjoy what that particular cruise had to offer.

My advice...just go and have a GREAT time!

Edited by vmom

I have not been on Princess, but I have just recently been on Freedom. The staff is excellent. WAY better than the other RCI ship we cruised on previously. They were really excellent, really went out of their way to be helpful, cheerful, fun, and remember each passenger. There are a lot of family movies shown during the cruises, just not necessarily outside. While we did NOT take our 2 kids (7&9), (it was an anniversary trip), we paid extra special attention to what the kids' club programs were doing throughout the week, so that we would know next time when we take the kids, what to expect. They had AMAZING activities for kids and many special family events for families with kids in the club program. One night they had a family karoke, one night it was a family talent show, one was family dance party, these were all specifically for families with kids enrolled in the AO club. I was impressed and I'm sure your kid(s) will enjoy it! I know mine will!!

Here were my dislikes:

Our cruise was 600 over-capacity due to fire on the Grandeur the week before, they rerouted as many passengers as possible to other cruise ships the following week. No deck chairs anywhere near the pool the ENTIRE week.

The (1) midnight deck party was over crowded. Couldn't have participated if we had wanted. And we had arrived early and sat in loungers around the edge, back away from the dance area, but where we could still view it. In no time we were being stepped on and tripped over, it was just too crowded.

There were an extraordinarily large amount of older teens/college age kids on this cruise. Which translated to - NO ONE ELSE being able to get on the dance floor, even out around the pool at the deck parties. If my 9 year old son had been with us, he would have been PO'd for sure that there wouldn't have been enough room to dance gangham style and dynamite due to the pushy-look-at-me-I'm-so-cute/cool teen/college crowd. We're young and were never that way, always made room for others, this was just like the next generation/all about me/don't care if you want to get out here-too bad crowd. They really just took over every event. That part was really un-enjoyable honestly. Next time we cruise, we will go during school and just have our kids miss a week of school, so as to avoid the teen/college crowd.

The food is surely okay, nothing to really write home about, but not bad either. The pizza was just gross. Greasy and not worth the calories, weird frozen taste. The cookies at the Promenade were great though.

I have met too many people on board my cruises that were too busy making comparisons (Holland does this better...RCCL has this....I like the way Celebreity ships have this....etc) That they failed to enjoy what that particular cruise had to offer.

Yeah but if I could just have a Princess ship, with Celebrity's food, with Holland's waiters, Disney's cabins, Royal's entertainment, but Norwegian's shows, at Carnival's price... then I would be happy ;)p

Haha, I totally agree with you though, we're thinking about doing HAL for our 4th cruise, no loyalty to any line, just enjoy each one for what it is. What if we thought of it like going out to eat? Last week you had Chinese, but you are distracted comparing it to Italian plate sitting right in front of you? There's nothing wrong with liking both!

LBeeE... Thank you for the information regarding the kids' activities. The family nights sound fun. We are going during our spring break, so I'm thinking that there will be a lot of kids and teenagers. We'll see how it goes. My son lives being in the water, so the pool area is where he wants to spend a lot of time.

Stateroom Sailor, you made great points! And so applicable to us! We love going to different restaurants and enjoy each one, and I do think that will be how the different lines and ships will be for us, too!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Princess has a grill area by pool that RCCL doesn't have. They also have to movies under the stars every night. Freedom ship might have a movie on or two nights by pool. Not near as nice. If you want burgers on Freedom, you have to go to the Windjammer and they are not open flamed (and no chicken sandwich like on Princess) Pizza is not as good either on RCCL. (IMHO) Freedom has a cafe like the Ruby's international cafe but not near the selection of items. Food in dining room is pretty comparable but we really like the mega salad bar that is available on Freedom on sea days. Don't miss it. Afternoon tea is no comparison. Don't bother. Rooms on Freedom all have a couch or love seat. This gives them an edge as to space. Service has been excellent on both lines. Our GD loves RCCL's kid's club more than any other line. They do a great job on RCCL for activities available. (ice skating, rock climbing etc) Shows are much better on the Freedom. Its really just little things that you will like about each line. That makes it fun to switch back and forth so you don't do the same old thing each vacation.

Also, late night snacks are not as readily available. One of the things I love about the Princess ships is that I can go to three or 4 places at say, 10pm, and grab a free bite. The buffet closes a little earlier on the RCCL ships, and the snacks in the International Café aren't as good or as fresh.

Just got off rhaspohdy of the seas. First time cruising with RCL. Have cruised several times with Princess. Biggest difference I noticed was the food is much better on Princess. RCL has both order off the menu as well as a buffet set up in the MDR for lunch and breakfast.

Also the buffet closes on RCL at 9 pm.

RCL seems to attract a younger crowd and more families than Princess. Otherwise everything else seem similar.

I would cruise with rcl again. Going to give radiance a go in October.

Edited by icat2000

I know 3 groups of people who won't sail Princess again because of #7, which is really unfortunate. I actually posted a thread once encouraging Princess passengers to stand up to these types of people, but they said that they preferred avoidance.

I did a commercial marathon tonight, all the major cruise lines, which are either straight forward or funny. Princess seems the most emotionally tricky, implying that it can change you, or improve your relationship. Here's a couple examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yOmR7B4N4c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9bomRQkuQU

(starts out ok...)

The point is, I think these commercials are reaching out to people who are unhappy, and offering a fix. RCL and CCL advertise people having fun, HAL and Celebrity showcase their service, and Disney and NCL their individual magic, not escaping from yourself! So I think Princess is a victim of it's own marketing scheme, and while effective, it's drawing a crowd that is unhappy at home, and also unhappy on the ship.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but wanted to comment on these commercials too, as it does tie in to our experience of Princess vs RCL.

I've noticed a flood of these commercials recently, where before Princess commercials were far less noticeable. I don't care for them, and find them a bit depressing; cruising to us should be upbeat and happy. It makes me think they are targeting a more sedate crowd which is what we experienced on Caribbean Princess a few years ago. Hence, we haven't gone back. It wasn't bad by any means, it just was not us.

I'm glad for this thread!

As a teen I've cruised princess 4 times. Now as an adult I'm about to take my husband on his first cruise and my first cruise on Royal. Luckily we are now leaving the kids st home now too :D

I was wondering a few days ago how the two compared. Sounds like I made a good choice for our age (mid twenties).