TIP or GIFT for the CRUISE DIRECTOR ? in this case, JOSH aka BIG SEXY

Elaine515

Have you ever tipped the CD or taken his/her a gift and if yes, what was it? I am leaving on the Liberty this Saturday and would like to bring Josh aka Big Sexy a gift but have no idea what he might like / want or need... Can or have you given a CD money and let them get what they want?

Please suggest something.. Thanks...

Personally I have never tipped a CD but have usually taken onboard a present/small gift for my CD... In this case, since I have never met Josh and know very little about him, although everything I have read is all good, I was wondering what I could bring him OR has anyone ever tipped their CD. In the past, I have been able to find out what my CD might need/want or like... Josh is a hard one to find that out so I'm hoping someone who knows him can help me out...

So, based on my first 3 responses, does anyone have a gift idea for Josh that I can bring him? Thanks again...

Take him some Somoa Girl Scout cookies. He will be forever grateful.

But he's done so well keeping off his weight!

OP, I suggest you make a donation to St. Jude's, which Carnival supports, in his name and present him with a "friendship" or "thank you" card indicating you made a donation in their name.

"Stay Classy" -Ron Burgundy ;)

A CD is the head of the entertainment department, and charge of and manages all entertainment employees. It's a tough job, but like any job, it is designed for a specific type of person. You are both a manager and entertainer. When I go to a restaurant, I don't tip the Owner/Manager. I tip the servers.

So if you tip the head of Entertainment, do you tip the head of Food Services? The head of Housekeeping? The Head of Engineering? They receive $50K to $100k in salary. Maybe more. The only tip they need, is the Thank you when you pass them running around!

The CD is a member of the staff and I believe gifts and tips would be respectfully declined.

Not true in my past experiences.. I have usually asked some of them what they would like me to bring to them, or I have asked John what he thinks they would like and I have to tell you that I believe every single one of my gifts has been appreciated and some of them I even know for a fact have even been used...

Josh is a floating CD at the present time. He works a ship for 2 weeks then off to another ship- imagine the stuff he would need to pack and unpack each ship if one person from each sailing gives him stuff.

also the cabin has limited space.

Not true in my past experiences.. I have usually asked some of them what they would like me to bring to them, or I have asked John what he thinks they would like and I have to tell you that I believe every single one of my gifts has been appreciated and some of them I even know for a fact have even been used...

do you really think that the person you just gave a gift too is going to make a face and say ewww. no thank you??

I'm as likely to tip the Cruise Director as I am to tip the general manager of the restaurant (which is not at all), or to tip the marketing exec who came up with the advertizing campaign in the case of a large national chain restaurant (which also, not surprisingly, is not at all).

I might be inclined to send a card if the CD did something heroic (like applied the Heimlich maneuver to a member of my party), but not for doing his/her job, no matter how well done.

If you absolutely feel you must do something, I suggest giving cash. Anything else will have to be packed, stored and/or consumed and may well end up in the junk/re-gifting pile.

Josh actually is a huge Pin collector.. unique ones , sport team, limited edition ones .. one of kind ones.. Saw his collection on our Liberty cruise take up the bottom half a full map..

He is a wonderful CD , very kind and generous .. just a real gentleman as is Papa Sexy.

Have a fabulous cruise Josh has set the level high

do you really think that the person you just gave a gift too is going to make a face and say ewww. no thank you??

No I dont expect them to make a face and say ewww. no thank you BUT I have also seen where the gifts I have given to CDs in the past have been used and also shown on their Morning Show... So, Yes, I still believe they do appreciate it and will continue to do it... But, thanks for your imput :(

Josh actually is a huge Pin collector.. unique ones , sport team, limited edition ones .. one of kind ones.. Saw his collection on our Liberty cruise take up the bottom half a full map..

He is a wonderful CD , very kind and generous .. just a real gentleman as is Papa Sexy.

Have a fabulous cruise Josh has set the level high

Thank you Flatlander... I am looking forward to meeting and cruising with him and will look for some kind of pin that he might not have.. That and the girl scout cookies..

THANK YOU to everyone that helped and answered my question...

No I dont expect them to make a face and say ewww. no thank you BUT I have also seen where the gifts I have given to CDs in the past have been used and also shown on their Morning Show... So, Yes, I still believe they do appreciate it and will continue to do it... But, thanks for your imput :(

Thank you Flatlander... I am looking forward to meeting and cruising with him and will look for some kind of pin that he might not have.. That and the girl scout cookies..

THANK YOU to everyone that helped and answered my question...

Can certainly understand giving him a pin but why in the world would you give someone who has problems with their weight a box of cookies????

IT did come off rather harsh--- im sorry=-= not the way it was intended

That's almost as odd as tipping or gifting the captain.

I'm an airline Captain. In my 20+ years flying, I've only had ONE passenger try to tip me in cash as she was getting off the airplane. I can say that it was an awkward and weird moment. It was an old lady and she tried to give me a $5 bill. I didn't know if I should've felt flattered or insulted. I just gave it back to her with a smile, said thanks but that I just couldn't accept her nice gesture. :o

In addition to that one tip, I've had passengers try to gift the crew home made cookies, chocolates, and even chicken wings that they purchased at the airport. Unfortunately, food items always end up in the trash (you never know what may be in food items or if there's an ulterior motive behind it).

The ONLY thing that I've ever gladly accepted with a smile was a $15 gift card to Starbuck's. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

Josh is a floating CD at the present time. He works a ship for 2 weeks then off to another ship- imagine the stuff he would need to pack and unpack each ship if one person from each sailing gives him stuff.

also the cabin has limited space.

Josh has been cruise director on the Liberty since at least October.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums