Need Your Help for Land Tour

chrismch

We're doing a land tour with HAL near the end of August before the cruise portion. For the land section we will be doing stops in Fairbanks (just for the night), Denali, Anchorage and Seward where we will board our ship. Much of this tour will be on a bus or a train, but we will be outdoors as well. Need to know what we should pack.

We plan on taking binoculars, a camera, walking shoes, rain ponchos, water repellent or resistent pants, parkas, one sweater each, gloves, warm socks, long johns and insect repellent (Off Skintastic and Gold Bond Anti-Itch lotion).

Is there anything else we should bring? We'll each be able to bring one piece of luggage and a backpack or tote.

You have an essential list. Also pack the hat. Frankly your bug repellent is pretty worthless in Alaska. You are also past the time of needing any, leave it home.

I strongly recommend you add extra days before your tour, otherwise, you won't be seeing much of Fairbanks. Plenty to see and do with a rental car.

If possible, and you get to Seward early, this is a wildlife jackpot area, with a Kenai Fjords boat tour, well worth the time and expense. Don't be in any rush to get on the ship. I usually board 6pm or later, since I'm enjoying my preferred Seward activities.

You can also take another piece of luggage that includes the clothing that you will need for the ship. That will be handled by HAL and may travel separately and meet you at the ship.

I recommend two pair of walking shoes because it is quite possible that your shoes will get wet. I like to take light weight rain pants and a jacket. The rain pants will keep me dry on a rainy day and will be a top layer if it is really cold, like in Glacier Bay. The jacket will offer the same assurance of staying dry and warm if needed. In August it probably won't be that cold on your land trip but it may be raining. The best advice is to layer lightweight warm fabrics. The parka and poncho may not be needed if you have the rain jacket and pants. I wear a fleece jacket most days. A warm hat and gloves will be needed in Glacier Bay for sure. Wool socks are best and cuddle duds or something similar for a base layer on cold days (Glacier Bay).

We don't have rain jackets so those lightweight rain ponchos to go over our jackets will have to do.

We learned in Ireland the difference between water repellant and water proof coats -- we were soaked after two hours of walking around in the rain. Didn't have umbrellas.

What is the season for mosquitos? I looked at average temps for the inside passage and they look pretty much the same for July and August and don't show a dip until September.

Is 100% deet readily available at pharmacies?

I don't know if 100% deet can be found, but I just bought 98% at REI. Trying looking at sports/camping stores. The pharmacies only sell products that contain up to 30-40% deet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You may not need insect repellent on the cruise itself. But for inland Alaska, the common phrase is that "the Alaska state bird is the mosquito". But in July, we didn't really meet those blood-sucking nuisances until we were north of Fairbanks and Denali....and south of Prudhoe Bay. But in that area, they were pretty fierce!!!

THEN, the repellent was MOST appreciated!

Barb