Travel to cruises as factor in GI illness outbreaks

knitter

While this applies to all cruise lines, RCI is attracting attention now. It seems to me that besides sick people traveling, the airlines play a role in this also- planes are filthy! Noro outbreaks that begin within 24-48 hours of cruise departure may originate from the flight taken to get to cruise. We once sat behind a family with a child who was vomiting - they said, whoops, sorry, but potentially put everyone around them at risk from airborne particles. On recent flights, the cup indentation on my tray table was encrusted with dirt, seat back pockets were full of all kinds of trash, and every crevice on the holder of the soap dispenser in the lav was grey with dirt. And the floors in the lavs are scary to contemplate! And I saw this without looking for dirt! Individual hygiene is still the mainstay of prevention, but I think airlines get off the hook for their lack of cleanliness because people don't get symptomatic till they leave the plane, dispersing anything they may have picked up on the plane to other places. Case in point, we were put up overnight after a cancelled flight at an all inclusive resort, where our voucher dinner & breakfast were for the resort's buffet. I am not a fan of buffets and didn't like what was offered, so we ate out. For the heck of it, I looked up reviews of the place on Trip Advisor to discover there were many reports of GI illness in the days preceding our stay. Some people got sick within a day or two of arrival, so they could have picked it en route or at the resort.

Just some things to remember about Norovirus or Norwalk Virus (not flu or cold strains);

When someone vomits outside of a closed-in room (such as a bathroom) the act of vomiting produces a mist or spray that can send airborne particles into the mouths and noses of anyone nearby. As well, vomit particles may land on all surfaces in a bathroom such as flusher handles, taps, counters, even toothbrushes or cups. These are highly contagious. Similarly, diapers and clothing with fecal matter are highly contagious.

The virus can be active outside a host (person) on surfaces such as counters, toilets, faucets, doorknobs and even clothing. It is unknown exactly how long the virus can live on such surfaces, as this depends on the number of viral particles, temperature, and the nature of the environment. Remember that you cannot catch it by just touching a doorknob. You would have to put your hand into your mouth. Therefore, hand-washing is imperative to prevention of transmission.

The main reason for all Norovirus outbreaks is poor hygiene, i.e., people defecating and not washing hands afterward, then contaminating surfaces or foods Note: Alcohol-based hand gels do not kill Norovirus!

http://www.emetophobiahelp.org/norovirus.html

While this applies to all cruise lines, RCI is attracting attention now. It seems to me that besides sick people traveling, the airlines play a role in this also- planes are filthy! Noro outbreaks that begin within 24-48 hours of cruise departure may originate from the flight taken to get to cruise. We once sat behind a family with a child who was vomiting - they said, whoops, sorry, but potentially put everyone around them at risk from airborne particles. On recent flights, the cup indentation on my tray table was encrusted with dirt, seat back pockets were full of all kinds of trash, and every crevice on the holder of the soap dispenser in the lav was grey with dirt. And the floors in the lavs are scary to contemplate! And I saw this without looking for dirt! Individual hygiene is still the mainstay of prevention, but I think airlines get off the hook for their lack of cleanliness because people don't get symptomatic till they leave the plane, dispersing anything they may have picked up on the plane to other places. Case in point, we were put up overnight after a cancelled flight at an all inclusive resort, where our voucher dinner & breakfast were for the resort's buffet. I am not a fan of buffets and didn't like what was offered, so we ate out. For the heck of it, I looked up reviews of the place on Trip Advisor to discover there were many reports of GI illness in the days preceding our stay. Some people got sick within a day or two of arrival, so they could have picked it en route or at the resort.

I've come down with a cold early on during a cruise on more than one occasion that I'm convinced were caught on the plane based on timing. It's certainly important to take precautious on airplanes just as you do everywhere else.

Edited by Dave85

Great info there, thanks!

I had never heard of this before...

"There is some good evidence that people with B or AB blood types are immune to noroviruses. By "immune" I mean that the evidence actually points to them being asymptomatic (not having any, or very mild symptoms)."

I'm B+ so I feel a little invincible now :->

"There is some good evidence that people with B or AB blood types are immune to noroviruses. By "immune" I mean that the evidence actually points to them being asymptomatic (not having any, or very mild symptoms)."

Wow, never heard of that before either. It is really good info. And, makes me feel a little better since I'm a B+.:)

Just some things to remember about Norovirus or Norwalk Virus (not flu or cold strains);

When someone vomits outside of a closed-in room (such as a bathroom) the act of vomiting produces a mist or spray that can send airborne particles into the mouths and noses of anyone nearby. As well, vomit particles may land on all surfaces in a bathroom such as flusher handles, taps, counters, even toothbrushes or cups. These are highly contagious. Similarly, diapers and clothing with fecal matter are highly contagious.

The virus can be active outside a host (person) on surfaces such as counters, toilets, faucets, doorknobs and even clothing. It is unknown exactly how long the virus can live on such surfaces, as this depends on the number of viral particles, temperature, and the nature of the environment. Remember that you cannot catch it by just touching a doorknob. You would have to put your hand into your mouth. Therefore, hand-washing is imperative to prevention of transmission.

The main reason for all Norovirus outbreaks is poor hygiene, i.e., people defecating and not washing hands afterward, then contaminating surfaces or foods Note: Alcohol-based hand gels do not kill Norovirus!

http://www.emetophobiahelp.org/norovirus.html

This reminds me of the scene in "Outbreak" with the guy in the movie theater coughing & you see the particles flying in the air.

Pat

As soon as I reach my seat on the plane -- out come the Chlorox wipes! I wipe down everything in my area (including the overhead light/fan switch). First time I did this, my DH laughed at me -- until he saw how filthy the used Chlorox wipe was :eek: -- now he does it, too!

B+ blood types, rejoice!!!

I have not heard this, but I am also B+ and generally find that I don't suffer from that many stomach ailments. I always thought that everyone has a weak spot...when they are sick or stressed, something happens. Many have bad stomachs. I tend to get backaches.

Unfortunately the sanitizer gels don't do anything and might give a false sense of security to those not thoroughly washing their hands...Oh, I'll just take a squirt of the gel and all is well. It works against bacteria, not viruses.

Do the Clorox wipes (and similar Lysol ones) kill viruses? I have to look at the canister next time.

How do you find out your blood type? Can I call up my doc and ask if it's in my chart somewhere?

As soon as I reach my seat on the plane -- out come the Chlorox wipes! I wipe down everything in my area (including the overhead light/fan switch). First time I did this, my DH laughed at me -- until he saw how filthy the used Chlorox wipe was :eek: -- now he does it, too!

Exactly what I do too. People give me strange looks when I start wiping down the table tray and buttons on my armrest. But hey I'm not going to get sick by touching the disgusting surfaces while on a plane. The other thing I do is try not to drink anything about a 1/2 hour before boarding and definitely go to the bathroom too. This way I don't have to use the horrible in-flight restrooms if possible. I've got countless colds and a few stomach bugs in the past all while flying. I almost hate to fly anymore. :rolleyes:

Edited by Annefran

I don't believe that your blood type has anything to do with immunity!

Viruses are tricky because they have the ability to mutate quickly. Bloodtype may be a contributing factor towards immunity, but is not the single defining factor determining infection or lack thereof. I would advise others NOT to test this, as it is medical theory and not medical fact. Continue to practice good hygene, starting with thorough hand washing using soap and water for 2 minutes.

http://www.cdc.gov/features/norovirus/

Edited by mbjboyle

With the OP, airlines are not so clean, last year on our Peru tour, my wife after 3 days got violently sick with a gi track isuev, ended up to a tourist hospital in Cusco for a night. Their test sad it never came frolm Peru, back home her doctor's test said the same thing. With the timing it was either at the Orlando airport where we had lunch or from the Airlines. I got it a day later, but not nearly as severe, but missed much of Machu Pichu, and was ready to go the next day, well almost.

We always travel with a mini pharmacy of any thing I can get my docs will give me and many OTC stuff, one never knows.

The air planes are sick.

Came in Nov. to Florida on the TA crossing.

Was well and healthy , on the flight to California many people were coughing.

Well after 6 days I got the cough so bad I thought I was dying.

Needed to visit the doctor.

All thru the holidays everyone in my family got the cough from me.