Shoes that won't kill your feet

sparkins_mob

I'm going on my first cruise in May and I'm trying to find a good walking shoe and wondering what everyone recommends? It's a very port intensive Mediterranean cruise and I've signed us up for a LOT of tours so I need to find a good shoe that won't kill my feet.

Do you prefer a walking/running shoe, or a sandal type? I'm worried that my feet may be too hot in sneakers and socks, but sandals may not have enough support.

I have a lot of nurse friends that recommend New Balance sneakers, but are they worth the hype?

I bought two pairs of these for my upcoming and long cruise vacation. I tried them out for a whole day, and they are very, very comfy. Super lightweight, too. I got one for light colored clothes, and one for dark:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AIAVLUU/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dansco's shoes/sandals for less intense walking.

Thank you! That was the other pair I brought for walking for the Black Sea cruise - black lace-up Dansko sandals (the Elena http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/dansko-elena-sandal/2828987) . I LOVE them. Thick sole is supportive and you don't feel the rocks you walk on. The lace-ups are great because if my feet are swollen after walking (8 miles one day in Istanbul:p) I can relax the lacing to give my feet more breathing space.

Dansko fit my feet well and they last forever. I think the black sandals are ~9 years old. I do need to find replacement laces and that might be a little difficult (or a special order at the very least) but a small price to pay to keep wearing these shoes.

Edited by Hoyaheel

If you have any pronation issues, Brooks running shoes offer amazing support. My podiatrist recommended them to me along with Protech Powerstep orthotic insoles and I wear them for tours. I put them on and can walk all day.

Edited by royalcruz

I wear Clark's Structure shoes. Been to Europe several times and walked everywhere. Great shoe for those looooooong walks! They are closed shoes Little Velcro strip on the side and come in brown and black. Not the prettiest shoe but I'm in for the comfort. Walked from the ship to the acropolis in Athens and back. Walked from the ship in Naples to the train station in town then all over Pompeii and walked back from the train station to the ship and etc etc etc

I also don't wear a fanny pack or a camera around my neck, but if you do, enjoy:rolleyes: Not sure how that got into the conversation....

Well, let's see....it got into the conversation because I was merely pointing out that there's more than one way to spot a tourist. I understand that this thread is about shoes. I was wondering why it was such a big deal to wear white shoes (not the patent leather sleazy-lounge-singer kind). I'm sorry it went over your head. And I'm glad you fit in everywhere you go. :rolleyes:

Well, let's see....it got into the conversation because I was merely pointing out that there's more than one way to spot a tourist. I understand that this thread is about shoes. I was wondering why it was such a big deal to wear white shoes (not the patent leather sleazy-lounge-singer kind). I'm sorry it went over your head. And I'm glad you fit in everywhere you go. :rolleyes:

Leaving out the snark....

There's no reason you can't wear your white shoes if that's what works best for you. But often people start threads specifically asking how they can not stand out as a tourist, and that is certainly one way that tourists are easily spotted. Europeans do not generally wear white walking/running/sports shoes when walking around in an urban environment. If they do wear a sports shoe (and there are plenty of these available for anyone looking for an alternative to white), they tend to wear either darker colors or -- very popular in the last two years -- metallic colors.

Comfortable and supporting sport shoes come in many colors, so I'm not really clear on why some people insist on white?

I travel solo and the last thing I want to do is call attention to myself as a tourist. I tend to wear darker colors (mainly black) and I definitely don't walk around with a camera around my neck, a large backpack or "pacsafe" style purse, a water bottle hanging off my belt or a map in my hand.

What worked best for me for long tours and poolside - Crocs. Also great for long plane ride. I brought the style that had a sneaker edge so no holes on the sides. For some reason - they work well for me even with a touch of knee and hip arthritis. Don't let "the ugly" deter you! (I saved my fashion shoes for evening!)

Leaving out the snark....

There's no reason you can't wear your white shoes if that's what works best for you. But often people start threads specifically asking how they can not stand out as a tourist, and that is certainly one way that tourists are easily spotted. Europeans do not generally wear white walking/running/sports shoes when walking around in an urban environment. If they do wear a sports shoe (and there are plenty of these available for anyone looking for an alternative to white), they tend to wear either darker colors or -- very popular in the last two years -- metallic colors.

Comfortable and supporting sport shoes come in many colors, so I'm not really clear on why some people insist on white?

I travel solo and the last thing I want to do is call attention to myself as a tourist. I tend to wear darker colors (mainly black) and I definitely don't walk around with a camera around my neck, a large backpack or "pacsafe" style purse, a water bottle hanging off my belt or a map in my hand.

Preach it, sister;)

I'm the same as my virtual sister. I travel solo, too. I'm not trying to "blend in" as much as not standing out as a "toorist."

Cruisemom and I had a thing last Spring for our Superga shoes. The "peoples' shoe of Italy" is their motto.. For the teens and 20-something set, Converse All-Stars seemed like a big thing in Rome. But, those really aren't "athletic" shoes like runners/trainers, but are meant as a "fashion statement." I really didn't see running shoes on anyone other than those I could definitely classify as a tourist - shorts, Tshirt, tank top, backpack, camera...

I'm going on my first cruise in May and I'm trying to find a good walking shoe and wondering what everyone recommends? It's a very port intensive Mediterranean cruise and I've signed us up for a LOT of tours so I need to find a good shoe that won't kill my feet.

Do you prefer a walking/running shoe, or a sandal type? I'm worried that my feet may be too hot in sneakers and socks, but sandals may not have enough support.

I have a lot of nurse friends that recommend New Balance sneakers, but are they worth the hype?

try fit flops, they have a lot of cushion. you can also look for very breathable running shoes, and buy some athletic socks with moisture wicking properties. not the cheap cotton 6-12 pack. but running shoes would be your best bet. new balance are great, but its made for more serious running. i really like my reebok zigs, i can walk in these all day, literally (disney world and universal studios from sunrise to sunset). it has a big foam cushioning and has been very comfy for me too.

Due to my horrible plantar fasciitis, I wore my running shoes on our Med and Baltic cruises. It was a lot of walking and lots of cobblestones. Running shoes now come in so many cute colors. You can go to a running store and they will help you find what works for your feet. Or you could try Zappos. They have free shipping and returns are free as well. I am personally not a fan of New Balance for my feet. I wouldn't do a leather walking shoe, but I didn't find the mesh to be too hot.

Personally, I see nothing wrong wearing white shoes. Sometimes no other color shoes look good with what you're wearing. I have lived in the Pacific NW and Hawaii, and now live in Florida. Therefore, I am perfectly comfortable wearing white shoes. When I find a comfortable shoe, I try to get a white pair, black one, tan, navy, and pewter, if I can. I suffer from Morton's Neuroma in both feet and have had three surgeries on my left foot that didn't help. I also suffer from arthritis in my hips. Why be uncomfortable just to please others. Tourists will always stand out, and people should dress for themselves and their own comfort. :)

Before we went on a land trip to Spain a couple of years ago, I knew I wanted the most comfortable shoe I could find. Hopefully they would be somewhat stylish but comfort was an absolute must.

I bought a pair of Reiker sandals similar to the ones below. Mine were a metalic pewter colour with just enough of a heel height to make them really comfortable for all day wear. There was an added bonus that I didn't realize until we were overseas. All of the strap closings were velcro. As my feet swelled during the day, I could adjust the snugness in the blink of an eye. The best part was they needed absolutely no breaking in. I basically hit the ground running. They were expensive but well worth the cost.

th?id=H.4996998078661628&pid=15.1

I am a nurse and have worn New Balance and Birki's in the past. I have found a couple other brands even better for my wide feet; Merril's, and Born. I also have worn Dansko. These 3 brands require no breaking in period at all for me. The Merrills are my favorite right now; I have a pair in the thongs and a pair in a walking shoe.

• 2 weeks later...

th?id=H.4996998078661628&pid=15.1

I had a pair of Clarks with a similar sole. Kept on twisting my ankels in the cobblestones of Rome. I had a second pair of shoes with a flat sole. Wore those instead.

Bring a second pair of shoes/sandals. Even a well worn in pair can develop a hotspot. Another trip one of my worn-in sandals started rubbing. Was able to switch them out.

The Walking Co is very good for trying on a variety of brands. I've also done well with Ecco and Merrel. Test them out. Everybody's foot is different.

I like getting shoes at REI- 1. they have some terrain to walk/step on and 2. they will accept returns on worn items.

Pet Peeve of mine, especially with speciality stores like The Walking Co is that the try-on area is usually carpeted, maybe some tile. You never know how a sole is going to feel walking down a steep, curvy cobblestoned street. Hint--Those cobbles are not flat on a curve but at an angle, ouch!

In the Clarks I felt every stone, not as much in the Eccos.

TOMS are the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn. I have 32 pair. They don't require any breaking in and are super lightweight and easy to pack!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Trouble with those is they have no real support and cannot get wet.

• 2 weeks later...
I believe what may be perfect for one persons foot may not work for the next. So, not only do you have to try on numerous brands, you have to make sure you can walk/stand for hours in the shoes..

I agree with this 100%. I've read all these recommendations wishing I could wear some of these. After 4 foot surgeries the only thing comfortable are flip flops and tennis shoes. And only soft sided tennis shoes. It's been over a year since my last surgery and I think my foot has gotten as good as it will get :(

Edited by Shekim