Noro happens but...

Brings to question whether Royal is wiping down their boats enough to help stop the spread of the virus?

Before people jump on me, I recognize that noro is a very fast moving and contagious virus, and that it happens on every cruise line. In the last couple weeks there have been major (some would consider more than major) outbreaks on Royal ships.

When Carnival ships kept breaking down, people were asking why aren't they doing anything about it, or what are they doing?

It's safe to ask questions for the sake of future cruisers.

Royal is my favorite line by the way.

They would have to "wipe down" with bleach! I'm not sure being exposed to that amount of bleach fumes is any healthier than a day of norovirus. Bleach would also damage most of the surfaces that people commonly touch, so you'd vacation aboard a ship with rust spots, deterioration, and oxidation damage everywhere.

Norovirus is one of the most common in our environment, and most of us have an immunity to it. This seems to be an extreme "solution" to a problem that will only impact a minority of people.

They would have to "wipe down" with bleach! I'm not sure being exposed to that amount of bleach fumes is any healthier than a day of norovirus. Bleach would also damage most of the surfaces that people commonly touch, so you'd vacation aboard a ship with rust spots, deterioration, and oxidation damage everywhere.

Norovirus is one of the most common in our environment, and most of us have an immunity to it. This seems to be an extreme "solution" to a problem that will only impact a minority of people.

There has to be something other than bleach that can work? Sure bleach will work, but there has to be other cleaning agents.

I recognize your point, but I think most people would also prefer to not become painfully ill.

I'm a nurse case manager and was actually thinking about this outbreak today as I walked through the hospital. The number one way to stop this is for people to have good hand washing. The other thread has talked at length about how people do not wash their hands. Some countries may not be as big on hand washing and the people don't know. This is why I use a towel to open a handle and elbow to push open a door. I carry hand sanitizer with me that is not toxic to me. I try never to hold on to a rail, etc. I do not use pens at the store unless I absolutely have to but will use the finger so I don't get my entire hand. Any cruise line can only do so much and perhaps it should have happened quicker. At this point it doesn't matter as everyone's cruise is cut short. Glad I'm not on it!

The ships can wipe down and disinfect all they want, but if the passengers don't wash their hands properly, sanitize and disregard quarantines or not report their illnesses at all, then everything the crew does to sanitize the vessel is all in vain.

Passengers and crew count of passengers that become ill to report their illness and follow the quarantine procedures. Problem is, every 7 , 5, 4, 3 or 10 days new passengers board and some may be infected but not symptomatic yet....once they get sick they start spreading the virus again. It is a never ending circle for the cruise ships and their personnel.

You are more likely to get Noro at your local hospital, school, nursing home, day care or mall................but when it happens on a cruise ship, somehow it is news!

I saw a special on CNBC which followed the NCL Pearl. In the special, they claim that in between disembarkation and embarkation they steam clean the chairs and carpets (did show portable steamers steaming down chairs), and wipe down the ship.

Does Royal do that?

I know that Noro is spread through people not washing their hands. I agree with you both, there is probably not a whole bunch that can be done.

If there was one big risk that one takes with cruising, its not ship wrecks, and breaking down, its getting noro.

When we were on Indepdendence last year, there was a noro outbreak. Everywhere we looked they were wiping things down...handrails, walls, pool loungers, chair armrests, even the MDR menus. The crew had special containers with sprayer hoses (sort of like an exterminator) and they were using them all over.

I believe they use a virucide (not bleach) to disinfect. Anyway, by day 4 the captain announced that the outbreak had been contained and the # of cases were going down, not up. I'm sure a lot of that had to do with the crew disinfecting everything, and I was impressed with the response.

I wonder why they don't post an attendant in each bathroom to ensure handwashing? (They did have announcements in the bathroom reminding you to wash your hands.)

All this to say I was impressed by how the ship handled it.

I saw a report on TV where they proffered the possibility that the norovirus could have been food borne and brought on board with Fish. In that case, everyone who ate the fish, who prepared the fish, who touched the ice that the fish was transported in, were subject to the illness, and then each person who became ill, was a carrier who would spread the illness.

I don't believe everything that I see on the news anymore, but it sounds plausible. I find it somewhat encouraging that CDC is on board to try to identify the problem. But then again, CDC is government, and I don't usually feel comfortable when someone shows up and says, "I'm from the government, and I'm here to help you." :-)

It is so true. Everyone keeps defending the cruise line and blaming passengers for the outbreak. It is reported over and over that contaminated food can be the culprit and also if the ship is not rid of the virus left behind from the previous cruises, if it is not cleaned well enough!

i think cruise linse are doing eveything they can do to prevent these outbreaks.. Its not worth it for them to have deal with these headaches.. If everyone washed their hands and used the hand sanitzer stations 100% honnestly I assure you it wouldnt have spread as badly... Ive seen alot of people going to windjammer and not even using any hand sanitzer. When i get to my room my routine woudl be to bring some lysol wipes and wipe down the door handles and tv remote which would take 2 mins if that.

I always carry them mini hand saniters as well from bath and body works.

Also when using the public wash rooms i use paper towel to open the door. So if i ever got sick aboard at least i can honnestly say I did everything in my power to prevent from getting sick

I saw a report on TV where they proffered the possibility that the norovirus could have been food borne and brought on board with Fish. In that case, everyone who ate the fish, who prepared the fish, who touched the ice that the fish was transported in, were subject to the illness, and then each person who became ill, was a carrier who would spread the illness.

I don't believe everything that I see on the news anymore, but it sounds plausible. I find it somewhat encouraging that CDC is on board to try to identify the problem. But then again, CDC is government, and I don't usually feel comfortable when someone shows up and says, "I'm from the government, and I'm here to help you." :-)

Totally agree, and you make a great point. Very well could be from the food.

When we were on Indepdendence last year, there was a noro outbreak. Everywhere we looked they were wiping things down...handrails, walls, pool loungers, chair armrests, even the MDR menus. The crew had special containers with sprayer hoses (sort of like an exterminator) and they were using them all over.

I believe they use a virucide (not bleach) to disinfect. Anyway, by day 4 the captain announced that the outbreak had been contained and the # of cases were going down, not up. I'm sure a lot of that had to do with the crew disinfecting everything, and I was impressed with the response.

I wonder why they don't post an attendant in each bathroom to ensure handwashing? (They did have announcements in the bathroom reminding you to wash your hands.)

All this to say I was impressed by how the ship handled it.

Posting an attendant in the bathroom would not matter to some people. I have seen many that refuse to use the hand sanitizers going into the Dining Room, even after being reminded by a staff person.

Sorry, but some people are just nasty and it's because of them a lot of this stuff begins......

It appears to me that there is more unknown abort the virus than is know, especially how it gets on a ship. (Some claim that this virus is just about everywhere.) My question is, does that ship take reasonable precautions to minimize the virus from spreading? For example, I believe that hand sanitizer are only effective against bacterial germs and ineffective against a virus. If this is true, why don't they use something more effective like chlorine based spray and/or request that EVERYONE wash their hand with soap and water before eating?

why don't they use something more effective like chlorine based spray and/or request that EVERYONE wash their hand with soap and water before eating?

Chlorine is toxic at low levels. There are signs posed throughout ships reminding passengers of good hygiene. Stay diligent, typically those who are proactive and concerned avoid contamination. :)

Edited by mbjboyle

Per the CDC, alcohol based hand sanitizer kills noro virus, although hand washing is better. So, the antibacterials ARE effective, because of the alcohol in them.

Also (again CDC is the source) noro virus is present in stool up to 2 days before and 2 weeks after the signs of illness are present. Often people don't even know they are contagious.

I think the cruise lines do a great job of trying to prevent spread of disease. People are at fault, as they are the ones not washing their hands, not quarantining themselves when ill. Studies have shown that less than 90% of women and 75% of men wash their hands after using the toilet, and only about 10% actually wash their hands long enough.

If the cruise ships cannot get people to not smuggle booze, hog chairs, follow recommended dress guidelines, reserve chairs in the theater, what are the odds that they can compelling people to wash their hands?

Clorox wipes!! People can scrub their hands with those or something maybe less stringent. The actual wiping I think would be better than putting a little gel or foam on your hands.

Hey as long as they are doing the best and trying out new measures, is all I ask.

Actually I'm one of those that thinks all this sanitizing agents is making viruses that much stronger. However I'm on a cruise, spray em down with bleach! Lol Just kidding.

I will absolutely use the hand sanitizer and wash my hands thoroughly when we are on our cruise. But please don't assume that anyone not using the hand sanitizer is nasty. I have very sensitive hands and hand sanitizer makes it much worse. My kids just had some sort of stomach virus and my hands are broken out now from using the stuff. Painfully so! But I was trying my best to not get it by washing my hands thoroughly often and use hand sanitizer. You know as much as the kids wash their hands, they are still constantly touching their face and then touching something else like the remote! :eek: But anyway, those people you see who are not using the sanitizer may be in the same situation or worse.

Norovirus is one of the most common in our environment, and most of us have an immunity to it..

I doubt "most" people have an immunity to norovirus. I believe the only "immunity" is in people who've had it in the past couple months, it's nothing permanent.:rolleyes: Would be interested in a link to information to the contrary.

Really, it's up to the passenger and they do a great job promoting hand washing. Wiping down surfaces is just a way of helping you need to wash your hands. Stay away from buffets too...

I doubt "most" people have an immunity to norovirus. I believe the only "immunity" is in people who've had it in the past couple months, it's nothing permanent.:rolleyes: Would be interested in a link to information to the contrary.

Actually, there appears to be a relationship between blood type and immunity/resistance to NORO:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norovirus

A non-functional fucosyltransferase FUT2 provides high protection from the most common norovirus GII.4.[54] Functional FUT2 fucosyltransferase transfers a fucose sugar to the end of the Histo-blood group ABO(H) precursor in gastrointestinal cells and saliva glands. The ABH antigen produced is thought to act as receptors for human norovirus. Homozygous carriers of any nonsense mutation in the FUT2 gene are called non-secretors, as no ABH antigen is produced. Approximately 20% of Caucasians are non-secretors due to the G428A and C571T nonsense mutations in FUT2 and therefore have strong although not absolute protection from the norovirus GII.4.[55] Non-secretors can still produce ABH antigens in erythrocytes, as the precursor is formed by FUT1.[56] Some norovirus genotypes (GI.3) can infect non-secretors.[57]

Of individuals who are secretor positive, those with blood type O were more likely to be infected and B less likely

http://www.mnn.com/health/healthy-spaces/stories/norovirus-and-blood-type-whats-the-connection

Individuals with type O phenotype were found to be most susceptible to norovirus infection. Those with B and AB phenotypes were at decreased risk of infection. When these B and AB phenotypes were infected, they were more likely to be asymptomatic.....If you have a blood type other than O, you can still contract norovirus, but the disease may not be as severe...

Brings to question whether Royal is wiping down their boats enough to help stop the spread of the virus?

Before people jump on me, I recognize that noro is a very fast moving and contagious virus, and that it happens on every cruise line. In the last couple weeks there have been major (some would consider more than major) outbreaks on Royal ships.

When Carnival ships kept breaking down, people were asking why aren't they doing anything about it, or what are they doing?

to answer your question till you brush up on your noro virus knowledge.....:rolleyes:

What does carnival ships have to do with noro, and the analogy is really quite silly:rolleyes:

What does carnival ships have to do with noro, and the analogy is really quite silly:rolleyes:

I don't know between splendor and the poop cruise, their putting generators on their ships was just because.

It was to point out that when things happen a couple times, sometimes some healthy questions aren't well out of the question.