Worse than they thought

tbill

Just curious if you have a personal history with the OP because I find it odd that you have continually attacked each and every statement the OP has made. The OP has a opinion and I always thought it was ok to post different opinions on these boards. I have not really read anything by the OP that was so offensive that she should be attacked the way she has. If you find what the OP has to say offensive block her and you will not see her posts anymore. I have no opinion on whether the compensation is fair or not and will reserve judgement until I have read some of the passengers reviews. I just hope that everyone is alright and the outbreak is contained.

Do you still find my "attacks" "odd"? How about all the other comments that have been written since my Buh-bye. I came back to this only because I was notified that I'd been quoted. So, Buh-bye again.

Before I go, though, I truly wish tbill Peace. Peace to you tbill, Peace.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

This would be funny if it weren't so sad. Can we all just wait until the people that are getting off the Explorer come here, on their own, and let us know? I am not going to believe everyone getting off since they really have no idea how many people got sick.

One passanger reported over 1000 were sick on onboard...on Fox news

Even those that got sick weren't sick the entire cruise. I guess it depends on if you are a cup half full or half empty kind of person.

The difference between an adventure and an ordeal is Attitude. :D

Looks like they are giving the confined passengers extra compensation:

http://thecourier.com/national-news/2014/01/29/cruise-ship-arrives-back-in-nj-after-700-fall-ill/

BAYONNE, N.J. (AP) — A cruise ship on which hundreds of passengers and crew members fell ill returned to port Wednesday in New Jersey, with health officials recommending those still showing symptoms to check in at hotels or seek medical care before heading home.

One woman aboard the Explorers of the Sea yelled, “We made it!” as the ship docked in Bayonne. Other passengers, with blankets wrapped around them, stood on deck to watch the ship pull in.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said its latest count puts the number of those sickened at 630 passengers and 54 crew members. The ship, on a 10-day cruise that had to be cut short, was carrying 3,050 passengers.

Health investigators suspect norovirus, but lab results are not expected until later this week. If norovirus is to blame, it would be one of the largest norovirus outbreaks in last 20 years, the CDC said. A 2006 norovirus outbreak on a Carnival Cruise Lines ship also sickened close to 700.

Norovirus — once known as Norwalk virus — is highly contagious. It can be picked up from an infected person, contaminated food or water or by touching contaminated surfaces. Sometimes mistaken for the stomach flu, the virus causes bouts of vomiting and diarrhea for a few days.

The cruise line said most guests who fell ill were up and about as the ship headed to port.

The CDC said it recommended to Royal Caribbean that people who still have symptoms be housed in nearby hotels or seen at medical facilities before traveling home.

CDC investigators boarded the ship during its U.S. Virgin Islands Port call on Sunday. They said no single food or water source or other origin has been identified.

Royal Caribbean is providing all guests a 50 percent refund of their cruise fares and an additional 50 percent future cruise credit. It’s also reimbursing airline change fees and accommodations for guests who had to change plans for traveling home.

Stricken guests who were confined to their staterooms are being provided a credit of one future cruise day for each day of confinement.

After returning to port, the ship will be sanitized and no one will be allowed aboard for a period of more than 24 hours as an extra precaution, the cruise line said.

Explorer of the Seas is on track to depart at its originally scheduled time Friday afternoon on its next cruise, a nine-night trip with port calls in Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, the Dominican Republic and Haiti, a Royal Caribbean spokeswoman said.

Each Explorer of the Seas passenger will receive a 50 percent refund of the cruise fare as well as an additional 50 percent future cruise credit. Passengers who were confined to their cabins by the illness also will receive credits of one future cruise day for each day of confinement.

Royal Caribbean also will reimburse airline change fees and accommodations for passengers whose travel home was affected by the ship's early return to port.

This was taken straight from the news report, today.

This is fair compensation to me. Again, I will repeat what several others. It is not the lines fault if someone boards when they are ill. It was selfish and posed a health risk for everyone on board. JMHO

Each Explorer of the Seas passenger will receive a 50 percent refund of the cruise fare as well as an additional 50 percent future cruise credit. Passengers who were confined to their cabins by the illness also will receive credits of one future cruise day for each day of confinement.

Royal Caribbean also will reimburse airline change fees and accommodations for passengers whose travel home was affected by the ship's early return to port.

This is fair compensation to me. Again, I will repeat what several others. It is not the lines fault if someone boards when they are ill. It was selfish and posed a health risk for everyone on board. JMHO

Sounds as though the crew may have been sick before anyone boarded...as reported...cabins were still not cleaned when entering their rooms...garbage still in the cans from previous cruise and bathroom had not been cleaned. That has never happened on any of our cruises.

Edited by 20pluscruises

Wow there is so much hate in this thread, yikes!

I don't know how often most people get sick on here but if I'm sick to the point of constantly vomiting and using the bathroom etc the LAST thing on my mind is moving, ANYWHERE! There is absolutely no way I will leave my cabin to do anything, this includes going to the doctor (because they aren't going to do anything) and I'll probably spread the infection more that way! I would inform my steward of the situation (or more likely, have a non sick companion inform the steward) and hide in my stateroom until I felt better. In situations like this I feel as though it does way more harm than help to have to journey to the doctors (no way i'm using the stairs in that situation, so i would end up infecting a whole elevator).

Also, if it was an isolated incident and I had no experience cruising, I probably wouldn't know that I was supposed to "report" my illness to anyone - would still inform the stateroom attendant though. (Isolated meaning there is not an outbreak so you're not being constantly told to report if you have symptoms)

I don't know how often most people get sick on here but if I'm sick to the point of constantly vomiting and using the bathroom etc the LAST thing on my mind is moving, ANYWHERE! There is absolutely no way I will leave my cabin to do anything, this includes going to the doctor (because they aren't going to do anything) and I'll probably spread the infection more that way! I would inform my steward of the situation (or more likely, have a non sick companion inform the steward) and hide in my stateroom until I felt better. In situations like this I feel as though it does way more harm than help to have to journey to the doctors (no way i'm using the stairs in that situation, so i would end up infecting a whole elevator).

Also, if it was an isolated incident and I had no experience cruising, I probably wouldn't know that I was supposed to "report" my illness to anyone - would still inform the stateroom attendant though. (Isolated meaning there is not an outbreak so you're not being constantly told to report if you have symptoms)

Sounds sensible to me!

You know it is very possible that patient zero boarded without showing any symptoms and completely unaware he/she was infected.

As for reporting an illness to medical. If I knew other on board were ill with the same thing I'd likely report it but if it were something isolated it honestly would occur to me to do so. On our last cruise my daughter was a little ill. She stayed in the cabin for a day or so and one of us stayed with her. Our attendant knew she was sick but I didn't call medical. I honestly didn't see the point and our attendant didn't advise me to do so.

Edited by NJcruisenewbie

You know it is very possible that patient zero boarded without showing any symptoms and completely unaware he/she was infected.

More than likely, the ship was infected from the previous cruise. Too many people got sick early in the cruise (by the second day). BTW, food poisoning has still not been ruled out. Maybe the new drink machines??

It is the FLU season. Rather you fly, take a train, a cruise or walk, you are taking a chance of getting sick.

I would be ok with RCCL's comp either if I was sick or not. I always wonder what it would be like if the cruise lines would bill the infected people for the extra clean up.(a joke).

Just one thing, it seems that if we could post hand washing security guards in every bathroom, a ship would not get sick.

Again, it is the FLU season.

It is the FLU season. Rather you fly, take a train, a cruise or walk, you are taking a chance of getting sick.

I would be ok with RCCL's comp either if I was sick or not. I always wonder what it would be like if the cruise lines would bill the infected people for the extra clean up.(a joke).

Just one thing, it seems that if we could post hand washing security guards in every bathroom, a ship would not get sick.

Again, it is the FLU season.

Norovirus is not the FLU.

More than likely, the ship was infected from the previous cruise. Too many people got sick early in the cruise (by the second day). BTW, food poisoning has still not been ruled out. Maybe the new drink machines??

A passanger did state that they were told the same illness was onboard the ship on the previous cruise.

Haven't seen so much hate since that guy who used to rant about the color of the safes!:eek:

Edited by Cruise2014Fanatic

GMA is reporting this morning that after talking to passengers on board the Explorer of the Seas the situation on board is much worse than originally reported. They also reported that they are only refunding 50% of the cruise and offering 50% credit on future cruise. IMO that is a horrible compensation. The passengers that were not ill had a totally ruined vacation. They deserve a paid vacation for their troubles! ... and the poor sick passengers surely deserve a full refund. This is a horrible situation. I have four very good friends that are on that ship. I can't wait to see them on Thursday and get the real story. I will post a full review as reported by them.

DW and I got off of the Explorer this afternoon. Even though DW was ill for a day, neither of us would consider this to be a ruined vacation.

All of the crew did everything within their power to do everything possible to make the sailing as good as it could be. Did we like missing 2 ports and returning early - no. but we understood.

Initially we were offered a refund of $400 per person and 50% off on a future cruise. A lot of passengers were not happy with that. At a meeting in the theater with the captain, this displeasure was clearly displayed. The captain fully understood this and said he would see what he could do. He told us he would work to get it resolved that afternoon.

Later that evening he announced that we would receive a 50% refund, a 50% off certificated for a future cruise, a refund of port charges for the 2 ports we missed and 1 free cruise day for each day a passenger was quarantined.

With the exception of one day, we had a great time and we believe we received good compensation.