Worse than they thought

tbill

DW and I got off of the Explorer this afternoon. Even though DW was ill for a day, neither of us would consider this to be a ruined vacation.

All of the crew did everything within their power to do everything possible to make the sailing as good as it could be. Did we like missing 2 ports and returning early - no. but we understood.

Initially we were offered a refund of $400 per person and 50% off on a future cruise. A lot of passengers were not happy with that. At a meeting in the theater with the captain, this displeasure was clearly displayed. The captain fully understood this and said he would see what he could do. He told us he would work to get it resolved that afternoon.

Later that evening he announced that we would receive a 50% refund, a 50% off certificated for a future cruise, a refund of port charges for the 2 ports we missed and 1 free cruise day for each day a passenger was quarantined.

With the exception of one day, we had a great time and we believe we received good compensation.

Thank you for sharing! And kudos to y'all for your wonderful attitude considering the circumstances :)

Edited by ryano

DW and I got off of the Explorer this afternoon. Even though DW was ill for a day, neither of us would consider this to be a ruined vacation.

All of the crew did everything within their power to do everything possible to make the sailing as good as it could be. Did we like missing 2 ports and returning early - no. but we understood.

Initially we were offered a refund of $400 per person and 50% off on a future cruise. A lot of passengers were not happy with that. At a meeting in the theater with the captain, this displeasure was clearly displayed. The captain fully understood this and said he would see what he could do. He told us he would work to get it resolved that afternoon.

Later that evening he announced that we would receive a 50% refund, a 50% off certificated for a future cruise, a refund of port charges for the 2 ports we missed and 1 free cruise day for each day a passenger was quarantined.

With the exception of one day, we had a great time and we believe we received good compensation.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Were you both quarantined? Just to clarify a bit of misinformation going around, no one took away your wife's sea pass did they?

Sorry you got sick and good for you for not letting things ruin your entire vacation. Your glass is half full! Hope you get to use your 50% off a future cruise soon! Welcome Home!

I just got off the ship. I got sick on Thursday the 23rd and my husband got sick Friday night. We both vomited and had diahrea the first day. We ached and felt lousy. I ran a low fever at one point. The runs continued for two more days. Once that stopped, we were exhausted and had no appetite for the next two days +. We basically lost 5 days each. We looked back as we traveled home today. We each had 2 decent meals the whole cruise. While some cruisers were only sick for 24 hours, a lot more of us were sick much longer.

As I look at the reports on the news, I have to question the numbers that have been reported. Out of 8 people at our dinner table, 5 were sick. While the numbers were counted at the medical center, a lot more people did not venture there just to stay near the bathroom. Others reported they were sick but only one member was counted as being quarantined. I think a more realistic number would be closer to a 1000 rather than the 700 that have been reported in the news.

The medical center and room service were absolutely overwhelmed by the numbers who were sick. The rest of the crew worked really hard to try to keep the ship clean. And they did it with a smile on their faces.

Many label this as being noro. This has yet to be determined. The CDC has not confirmed this as yet

I hope I have given you an accurate assessment of what occurred from my point of view.

We will cruise again but it will be a while. This was our worst cruise.

I just got off the ship. I got sick on Thursday the 23rd and my husband got sick Friday night. We both vomited and had diahrea the first day. We ached and felt lousy. I ran a low fever at one point. The runs continued for two more days. Once that stopped, we were exhausted and had no appetite for the next two days +. We basically lost 5 days each. We looked back as we traveled home today. We each had 2 decent meals the whole cruise. While some cruisers were only sick for 24 hours, a lot more of us were sick much longer.

As I look at the reports on the news, I have to question the numbers that have been reported. Out of 8 people at our dinner table, 5 were sick. While the numbers were counted at the medical center, a lot more people did not venture there just to stay near the bathroom. Others reported they were sick but only one member was counted as being quarantined. I think a more realistic number would be closer to a 1000 rather than the 700 that have been reported in the news.

The medical center and room service were absolutely overwhelmed by the numbers who were sick. The rest of the crew worked really hard to try to keep the ship clean. And they did it with a smile on their faces.

Many label this as being noro. This has yet to be determined. The CDC has not confirmed this as yet

I hope I have given you an accurate assessment of what occurred from my point of view.

I am so sorry you were both so sick. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

After all you have been through you would really cruise again? If it were me I'd be looking at a land vacation somewhere. What do they say, fool once and I'll sail again after vomiting and the runs for days on end. Maybe you but not me.:eek:

It is very interesting that you mention that the CDC has not yet confirmed noro. Makes you wonder and as you say the numbers may have been much higher than reported.

No the sky isn't falling but I wonder if there will be more to this

So sorry that you were sick and had a bad cruise. 5 nights of symptoms is no fun.

The number of days ill sounds like it could be something other than noro...although, that is what they suspect. I remember being on a cruise where many where sick...and all that ate the cantelope were really sick...others who didn't have any cantelope were fine and never did get sick. It ended up the food handler of the melon was sick. I can understand why is would have been your worst cruise. Hope your feeling much much better!

Edited by 20pluscruises

So sorry you were both so sick and confined to your cabin for so long. I know how you felt, I had Noro a few years back and it is nothing I want back again. I am so happy that you mention the crew, it has always been my guess that those who post here will all comment on how hard working the crew was and I was right. They never let us down, do they? I hope that you are soon able to cruise again and use your well deserved compensation that RCCL provided and I hope that cruise is everything you hoped for this time...

I did not read thru all of this thread but I have to just say.

If you go based off of news reports 80% of passengers did not get sick. I am not sure how things were worse then reported. We have been seeing approx. 600+ for a couple of days now. If there are some that did not report to medical or fill out the CDC survey and kept from proper reporting shame on them.

What is hard for me to understand is Tbill's obsession with this situation and constant reporting of untrue information. I am sure the CDC will give a full report at some point in time. But with some passengers reporting to feel symptoms longer then 48 hours I do not think this will turn out to be a food borne case. I think some passengers got off this ship sick from the previous sailing and did not report it. I also think passengers boarded sick and did not consider others.

Hope everyone gets home safely and recovers quickly. What will be done to help the crew? I can't imagine cleaning up after that many people who were sick. Above and beyond of what I would want to do. It's not like you are cleaning up after someone in your own family. Will the crew get paid extra and get some time off? Did they still get their tips for the week? I hope RC treats them well.

I did not read thru all of this thread but I have to just say.

If you go based off of news reports 80% of passengers did not get sick. I am not sure how things were worse then reported. We have been seeing approx. 600+ for a couple of days now. If there are some that did not report to medical or fill out the CDC survey and kept from proper reporting shame on them.

What is hard for me to understand is Tbill's obsession with this situation and constant reporting of untrue information. I am sure the CDC will give a full report at some point in time. But with some passengers reporting to feel symptoms longer then 48 hours I do not think this will turn out to be a food borne case. I think some passengers got off this ship sick from the previous sailing and did not report it. I also think passengers boarded sick and did not consider others.

I hope this thread stops soon. Supposedly it's closed.

I think what's happening is that people are ganging up on the op and it's kind of taking a life of its own. The OP feels as though he/she needs to defend her/himself and the cycle just keeps repeating.

Human nature and Internet forums are sometimes a interesting mix.

I couldn't understand why so many people were so hard on the OP.

This all just needs to stop.

Mods!!

...I think a more realistic number would be closer to a 1000 rather than the 700 that have been reported in the news...

Thank you for the first hand report and sorry you were ill. :( I heard the same earlier today; a passenger speaking on CNN (hardly my choice for reliable information and such spin doctors, I can't stand it!) also estimated the number of sick passengers to be closer to 1000, like you have said.

Hope you are feeling well now.

I hope this thread stops soon. Supposedly it's closed.

I think what's happening is that people are ganging up on the op and it's kind of taking a life of its own. The OP feels as though he/she needs to defend her/himself and the cycle just keeps repeating.

Human nature and Internet forums are sometimes a interesting mix.

I couldn't understand why so many people were so hard on the OP.

This all just needs to stop.

Mods!!

The ganging up is spreading... And multiplying... Kinda like norovirus! For anyone who hasn't seen it, rent Contagion.... New respect for how things spread

Edited by Cruise2014Fanatic

It is very interesting that you mention that the CDC has not yet confirmed noro. Makes you wonder and as you say the numbers may have been much higher than reported.

No the sky isn't falling but I wonder if there will be more to this

How can RCCL or the CDC put 3000 more passengers on that ship this Friday and not know for sure what the problem was? How does that make sense?

You would think they could speed of the process to find out what caused this and why 1000 people got sick?

Jimbo:)

How can RCCL or the CDC put 3000 more passengers on that ship this Friday and not know for sure what the problem was? How does that make sense?

You would think they could speed of the process to find out what caused this and why 1000 people got sick?

Jimbo:)

Because its all about the $$$. RCCL is not going to lose the profit on that cruise. They claim every thing is a go... on schedule for Friday.

Because its all about the $$$. RCCL is not going to lose the profit on that cruise. They claim every thing is a go... on schedule for Friday.

tbill - you have to let this go. Its getting out of control.

Its a debate at this point, and nobody is going to win.

tbill - you have to let this go. Its getting out of control.

Its a debate at this point, and nobody is going to win.

????... again, my opinion. sorry if yours is different. to each is own... But thanks.

My husband and I also sailed on this cruise. We had a very good time and did not exhibit any symptoms. Yes, the buffet food had to be served to you and the entertainment that was to board in St. Maarten were not able to come on board. The captain of the ship was so professional and compassionate. He spent a lot of time speaking to travelers with problems.

The crew was sensational! They worked so hard sanitizing the ship and doing double and triple duty. The activity director Erky and the Cruise director Leigh were helping out serving food I the buffet. One of the female singers, Ann was giving out plates and silverware at the Windjammer. We booked this cruise as a back to back cruise with the January 31 st cruise. Because the cruise was ended early we have been transported to a lovely hotel in the heart of midtown New York with the cruise line picking up the tab for two days. There is a bus load of cruisers at our hotel . Friday we all will be bused back to the ship. Are we going to sail again? We sure are.

Royal Caribbean is a class act. The compensation everyone got was more than generous. This cruise proved to me again that I remain loyal to royal.

My husband and I also sailed on this cruise. We had a very good time and did not exhibit any symptoms. Yes, the buffet food had to be served to you and the entertainment that was to board in St. Maarten were not able to come on board. The captain of the ship was so professional and compassionate. He spent a lot of time speaking to travelers with problems.

The crew was sensational! They worked so hard sanitizing the ship and doing double and triple duty. The activity director Erky and the Cruise director Leigh were helping out serving food I the buffet. One of the female singers, Ann was giving out plates and silverware at the Windjammer. We booked this cruise as a back to back cruise with the January 31 st cruise. Because the cruise was ended early we have been transported to a lovely hotel in the heart of midtown New York with the cruise line picking up the tab for two days. There is a bus load of cruisers at our hotel . Friday we all will be bused back to the ship. Are we going to sail again? We sure are.

Royal Caribbean is a class act. The compensation everyone got was more than generous. This cruise proved to me again that I remain loyal to royal.

Good to hear. Sounds like you are making the best out of a bad situation. Enjoy the second part of your cruise and try to stay warm in NY!

Thanks so much for taking the time to post. Have a lovely time in NYC and a great 2nd week on Explorer.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app