Lost On Board Credit

LoonsonBalsam

We had to cancel a cruise sailing Feb. 7th due to illness. We had cancellation insurance through HAL and received 90% of our cruise fare back. What we seem to have lost is our $200.00 on board credit that we paid for when we were on the Eurodam in April 2013. I have made several phone calls to HAL and they advise that since we cancelled the upcoming cruise, we also lose the on board credit. Just wondered if this has happened to anyone else? I didn't think that one had anything to do with the other since we paid the $200.00 directly to HAL for use on board. Thanks.

What do you mean you lost OBC you paid for?

Do you mean you purchased future cruise deposit that provided for OBC?

Did you make the actual booking while on the ship or buy future cruise deposits you used after you left the ship to make your booking?

If you booked after leaving the ship using FCD's, they usually are deposited back for future use. They are attached to your Mariners Number so check to see if they have been credited back to you and available for future use. If so, you will get the OBC for your future booking using those FCD's.

Edited by sail7seas

We paid 2 x $100.00 each for an OBC for a future cruise. We did not book a future cruise while on the Eurodam. When we did book the cruise for Feb. 2014 we did not get any discount, not did we expect one. Our understanding was that there would be 2 x $100.00 (for my wife and myself) OBC to use while we were on the Noordam in Feb. 2014. Now that we have cancelled, we received 90% of the cruise fare back, but the 2 x $100.00 OBC have disappeared and HAL says that since we cancelled the Feb. 2014 cruise, we also lost the OBC's that we paid for in April 2013.

It sounds like what you purchased was Future Cruise Deposit.

When you make your booking, after leaving the ship, using the FCD, the OBC attaches to the cruise you ultimately book.

Check with Mariners Society to see if your accounts have those two FCD's redeposited into your accounts. It is possible they might be OR it is entirely possible you lost them.

What the FCD provides is two things: a lowered amount required for deposit when you make your booking and a varying amount of OBC depending upon the length of the cruise you book and the category cabin you book.

The $100 you paid was the cost of the FCD at that time. Since then, the terms of purchasing the FCD's has been adjusted. For longer cruises, the deposit amount has increased. A seven day cruise is still the $100 you spent.

You did not technically buy OBC, you bought a Future Cruise Deposit that provided for OBC.

We had to cancel a cruise sailing Feb. 7th due to illness. We had cancellation insurance through HAL and received 90% of our cruise fare back. What we seem to have lost is our $200.00 on board credit that we paid for when we were on the Eurodam in April 2013. I have made several phone calls to HAL and they advise that since we cancelled the upcoming cruise, we also lose the on board credit. Just wondered if this has happened to anyone else? I didn't think that one had anything to do with the other since we paid the $200.00 directly to HAL for use on board. Thanks.

If the OBC was actually a prepaid credit to your stateroom account, paid by you in advance after booking the cruise, then I believe you are entitled to a refund the same as if you had prepaid for shore excursions, dining reservations etc.

On the other hand if the OBC was provided by HAL as a booking incentive this would be lost with the cruise cancellation.

If you paid $200 as a future cruise deposit while on the Eurodam in April `13 this should still appear as a future cruise deposit with HAL. However if you booked the Feb. `14 cruise at this time the $200 was probably your deposit for the cruise and therefore included in the cancellation insurance refund.

I suggest you determine which scenario applies and then clarify with HAL.

What do you mean you lost OBC you paid for?

Do you mean you purchased future cruise deposit that provided for OBC?

Did you make the actual booking while on the ship or buy future cruise deposits you used after you left the ship to make your booking?

If you booked after leaving the ship using FCD's, they usually are deposited back for future use. They are attached to your Mariners Number so check to see if they have been credited back to you and available for future use. If so, you will get the OBC for your future booking using those FCD's.

I believe that the OP is talking about the Future Cruise Deposits and calling them OBC's ;)

We paid 2 x $100.00 each for an OBC for a future cruise. We did not book a future cruise while on the Eurodam. When we did book the cruise for Feb. 2014 we did not get any discount, not did we expect one. Our understanding was that there would be 2 x $100.00 (for my wife and myself) OBC to use while we were on the Noordam in Feb. 2014. Now that we have cancelled, we received 90% of the cruise fare back, but the 2 x $100.00 OBC have disappeared and HAL says that since we cancelled the Feb. 2014 cruise, we also lost the OBC's that we paid for in April 2013.

It is my understanding that if you cancel a cruise now within a certain time frame (final payment I believe) then the Future Cruise Deposits are indeed lost (just as a deposit would be). This did not used to be the case, but I believe that it is now - at least that is my understanding.

<snip>

It is my understanding that if you cancel a cruise now within a certain time frame (final payment I believe) then the Future Cruise Deposits are indeed lost (just as a deposit would be). This did not used to be the case, but I believe that it is now - at least that is my understanding.

I wonder........

if they are now refunding unused FCD's automatically after four years, why would they now change the policy of refunding FCD's for a cancelled cruise? We had to cancel a cruise and our FCD's were refunded, however, it was prior to final payment.

It is my opinion a Future Cruise Deposit becomes the actual deposit when you book a cruise. Therefore, that is lost or included in the amount of the cancellation insurance.

If no cruise is booked after making the FCD that amount remains in effect until you book a cruise or request a refund, or HAL refunds it after 4 years.

I wonder........

if they are now refunding unused FCD's automatically after four years, why would they now change the policy of refunding FCD's for a cancelled cruise? We had to cancel a cruise and our FCD's were refunded, however, it was prior to final payment.

Sail, I am sure I read this someplace - if you cancel before penalty the FCD is put back in the bank - if it's after you lose it. I think the change was made at the same time as when they instituted the refund and no FCD requirements.

I'll take a look for my FCD certificate - I bought one of the new ones.

Considering that it is not HAL giving you 90% of your cruise cost back and an insurance company, I would think that would have to be discussed with them instead. You have canceled too close to sailing and the trip is finalized. It makes sense that would lose all promotions that had come with it (even if you had purchased future cruise deposits) since it's no longer a booking that can just be casually canceled.

This is what happened in 2011 when I fell and broke my wrist in 2 places just a few days before our cruise.

We had put down deposits that we had bought while on another cruise. We received shipboard.

We got back 90% of our cruise fare. Deposits could not be moved to another cruise and we lost the shipboard credit associated with those deposits.

I haven't checked what the new rules are since HAL changed everything in 2012.

This is what happened in 2011 when I fell and broke my wrist in 2 places just a few days before our cruise.

We had put down deposits that we had bought while on another cruise. We received shipboard.

We got back 90% of our cruise fare. Deposits could not be moved to another cruise and we lost the shipboard credit associated with those deposits.

That happened to us in 2011 when cancelled a June cruise on the Eurodam due to illness of DW. It happened the same way. The good news was DW did not have cancer and took a later cruise on the Noordam in Nov. 2011 to celebrate.

Sail, I am sure I read this someplace - if you cancel before penalty the FCD is put back in the bank - if it's after you lose it. I think the change was made at the same time as when they instituted the refund and no FCD requirements.

I'll take a look for my FCD certificate - I bought one of the new ones.

We bought the new one also. I'll look for it.

I remember what that happened to you.

It was before the new system so I wonder if it changed since your event when they instituted the tiered level for how much deposit for varying length of cruises?

That happened to us in 2011 when cancelled a June cruise on the Eurodam due to illness of DW. It happened the same way. The good news was DW did not have cancer and took a later cruise on the Noordam in Nov. 2011 to celebrate.

Again....... before the new system.

OP's FCD's were purchased under the old levels but his cancellation occured after. I suppose even if the rule changed with the new level system, they would apply the old rule seeing the FCD was purchased under the old rules.

This may be what I am recalling. I do remember others posting likewise although I thought it was after the new rules. I haven't had a chance to digging for my FCD certificate - I was trying to keep up to date on the cabin site - but I will take a look shortly.

Here's what my May, 2013 Future Cruise Deposit Confirmation says in the part that seems relevant:

"9. Our standard cancellation policy applies to Future Cruise Deposits if booking is cancelled within the Cancellation Fee period."

Not really sure what that means, though.

Here's what my May, 2013 Future Cruise Deposit Confirmation says in the part that seems relevant:

"9. Our standard cancellation policy applies to Future Cruise Deposits if booking is cancelled within the Cancellation Fee period."

Not really sure what that means, though.

thank you. You just confirmed the answer. The Future Cruise deposits are subject to the cancellation regulations - so if you cancel when there is no cancellation fee you get them back in the bank. If you wait until cancellation penalties apply - you lose them. At least that was my interpretation.