Have you called to request an upgrade, even for a price?

I've been watching our upcoming sailing on Allure which departs in 3 weeks and have noticed the same 15 Junior Suites have been unsold. Prices have been ridiculous.

Question is, has anyone ever called close to sailing asking for an upgrade (in this case Balcony to JS) and received an offer for less than the published price?

I'd be willing to pay more for the room, just not what they're asking.

yes I agree prices are outragous! my booked cruise is listed on the wow sale and prices have not changed at all & I made final payment on 1/21!!

LOTS of balcony and JS & several GS remain!! kind of unusual to me!

I might have to switch lines or go back to land based vacations

*update*

So I called, and there wasn't any luck. No surprised there, but I do find it interesting that they have 15 empty JS, which are glorified balcony rooms, at double the price of a regular balcony. Doesn't make sense to me!

The agent just advised me to make sure my upgrade preferences were selected on my C&A home page, which they are.

C'mon fairy... come get me!

:)

*update*

So I called, and there wasn't any luck. No surprised there, but I do find it interesting that they have 15 empty JS, which are glorified balcony rooms, at double the price of a regular balcony. Doesn't make sense to me!

The agent just advised me to make sure my upgrade preferences were selected on my C&A home page, which they are.

Just another opinion here: Junior Suites on the Allure are FAR FAR FAR from "glorified balcony rooms." :eek:

As far as I know, Revenue at Royal Caribbean keeps a close eye on all unsold cabins. Once they reach a certain point before the cruise date and there are still unsold cabins (suites mostly I am told) they are typically offered as a paid upgrade option to high level C & A members. I received a call last September for a cruise on the Explorer in November and paid a small fee to upgrade to the Royal Family Suite from a Grand Suite. Some refer to this as being a call from the Upsell Fairy who apparently is a distant cousin of the Upgrade Fairy!

To answer your original question, yes I have called - but there is really no point as the customer service reps have no idea when or if Revenue will release any cabins/suites for upsell opportunities.

...which is still a price determined by RCI - not a negotiated price.

Right.

Like CKRobyn, I was offered an upsell on the Oasis in August from our JS to a CL. I counteroffered with a lower number. That was a total non-starter!!!! :D

*update*

I did the same on my TA last October. I had booked a D1 balcony on deck 9 but was keeping an eye on a JS aft on deck 10 which had been available for weeks. So I called to ask if I could upgrade for a lesser price than the cabin cost. They said sorry no can do..........but guess what? I got a call a few days later to tell me I had been complimentary upgraded to the JS aft ................. Whether my call had an bearing on it I have no idea, but you never know................Thank you Fairy.:D;)

Edited by mcca2

Right.

Like CKRobyn, I was offered an upsell on the Oasis in August from our JS to a CL. I counteroffered with a lower number. That was a total non-starter!!!! :D

...but did you ultimately take the upgrade? Nice jump - JS to CL! Either way it never hurts to ask. :)

The best offer we ever had was Oasis (as well) in 5/12 where we were able to upsell from a D8 to a GS for a very low amount.

Edited by leaveitallbehind