Cruise expectations

deise17311

Lately I have seen a lot of reviews from new Celebrity cruisers who were disappointed in the product...it reminds me when I bought my first Mercedes. I guess I thought the car would hover over the road, have an interior made of gold, and grant my every wish...at the end of the day, it was a nice car, but only a car...had some better qualities vs. other cars and some that were not. Some of my previous cars had features I wish the Mercedes had, but I was resigned to make the best of it. I.E. a cruise company is just a product like a car, some features are better then others and some people like one car better then another.

So Celebrity is seen as superior by some compared to the less expensive cruise lines and I guess they expect what I did in my first luxury car...if you have expectations you will usually be disappointed...

Going on my first cruise with X this summer but have been planning it for well over a year. In my constant monitoring of the countless threads here in the X forum I have come to the same conclusion that many of the problems or complaints--certainly not all--are the result of unrealistic expectations. If you are expecting a ultra high end cruise with you're every wish granted I think going on a X cruise will sorely disappoint. I find it amazing how well almost every "big ship" cruise line manages to take care f 3,000+ passengers. It a huge task. Celebrity does it better than most from what I've read. I'll find out for myself this summer!

Cheers

Going on my first cruise with X this summer but have been planning it for well over a year. In my constant monitoring of the countless threads here in the X forum I have come to the same conclusion that many of the problems or complaints--certainly not all--are the result of unrealistic expectations. If you are expecting a ultra high end cruise with you're every wish granted I think going on a X cruise will sorely disappoint. I find it amazing how well almost every "big ship" cruise line manages to take care f 3,000+ passengers. It a huge task. Celebrity does it better than most from what I've read. I'll find out for myself this summer!

Cheers

Agree! You will have a wonderful cruise. Celebrity has a lot of special touches that sets it apart and yes, it is amazing the job they do with close to 3,000 guests! have fun!

In my opinion, celebrity is not a luxury cruise line, but on the higher end of mass market. If you are looking for "luxury" you may be disappointed. With the right attitude and expectations, you will be pleased.

Enjoy

M

Celebrity most definitely is not a luxury line and some are disappointed when the luxury treatment is not there as expected.

Lately I have seen a lot of reviews from new Celebrity cruisers who were disappointed in the product...it reminds me when I bought my first Mercedes. I guess I thought the car would hover over the road, have an interior made of gold, and grant my every wish...

So Celebrity is seen as superior by some compared to the less expensive cruise lines and I guess they expect what I did in my first luxury car...if you have expectations you will usually be disappointed...

Hi,

And where did you get/why did you have those expectations of your Mercedes ? Most likely...from advertising. Just like...where many who choose a cruise get their expectations. Here are a few excerpts from a quick scan of the Celebrity website:

**Murano.

Exquisite fine dining in a distinctive setting with stellar service.

Impeccable service, classic design, world-class cuisine and comfortable sophistication are celebrated to the utmost in Murano.

**We'll entertain you in the main theater with high energy, custom productions such as "Pulse", "Remix" and "Edge" along with classic tribute shows rivaling Broadway, West End and Vegas productions.

**With one crewmember to nearly every two guests our staff prides itself on knowing what you want, a nanosecond before you even knew you wanted it.

**More than a room. An escape within an escape.

Our staterooms are a study in modern luxury, with forward-thinking design, beautiful craftsmanship, luxurious amenities.

Sure sounds like someone is about to have (and therefore perhaps expects) a "modern luxury" experience !! And just like you and your Mercedes...you won't know for sure until you experience it for yourself. Hopefully, every cruise we take, on whatever line we choose, meets our expectations to some degree...they always have for me...since my first one in 1974 !!:)

Enjoy

Woody

Edited by rwr235

I try not to set my expectations too high with anything I do, whether it's a cruise or a hotel or a restaurant, I hope it will be "ok" then if it's good great or fantastic I will be thrilled. If it's ok I'm not let down.

My next cruise is on Infinity I've never done M class only S class six times. I'm looking forward to a different ship but understand that it's an older ship so not raising my expectations otherwise I may be disappointed and I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than not! :)

I think the food is one area where we see a lot of discussion, a lot of disappointments. There's is no question in my mind that the food is not as good on Celebrity as it was a few years back, and I actually think this is true of most of the major cruise lines. Longtime cruisers often have a problem with this, while newer cruisers don't have the same comparisons. But one feature on a cruise ship, which is seldom mentioned, is that you can always send a meal back and get something else, the waiter will be glad to do this for you. And also, the waiters always seem to know what to recommend on a given day, they want you to be satisfied too. Whether you are in the MDR, Blu, the buffet, the Mast Grill ---- prepare yourself to try another choice if you're not happy with your first. It's hard to believe that someone can exhaust all the choices and still be unhappy. Might improve the reviews.

So here are my cruise experience expectations for my June 2014 Reflection Med cruise.

1. Cold Beer

2. Daily spot at the Mast Bar and cold beer

3. Good food in Blu. Just bring me a steak or seafood and cold beer and a glass of wine.

4. A spot in the smoking area of the Mast Bar for an occasional cigar and cold beer or glass of scotch.

5. A regular spot at the Mast bar for cold beer and a good hamburger

6. A regular spot at the pool bar and cold beer

7. Nice comfy bead with a working shower and cold beer

8. Spot at Michaels and cold foo-foo beer.

9. Coffee early in the AM followed by an Bloody Mary then cold beer.

If X can deliver on these marks I'll be living the dream for 11 nights this summer. Are my expectations for X to high?

So here are my cruise experience expectations for my June 2014 Reflection Med cruise.

1. Cold Beer

3. Good food in Blu. Just bring me a steak or seafood and cold beer and a glass of wine.

4. A spot in the smoking area of the Mast Bar for an occasional cigar and cold beer or glass of scotch.

If X can deliver on these marks I'll be living the dream for 11 nights this summer. Are my expectations for X to high?

They might be...depends on your definition of a foo-foo beer??!!:D:D (I've never had a foo-foo beer) ??...and coffee "early" ?...if you require GOOD coffee early (before 6:30 or 7 am) then again, you might be expecting too much !!

Otherwise...looks like you are good to go !!

Enjoy

Woody

I've been trying for years to get a good nap in while showering. I didn't realize you needed to have the shower be part of your bed. AND the bed gives you beer?!?! Who do you have to know to reserve that room?

i like Celebrity- especially since I am paying $1000 per person for an outside cabin for a 13 day night cruise. The service is very good across the board and I know there will be better food than I cook!

Celebrity has sunk to the level of pushing products and I don't like that. I don't like the Specialty dinner kiosks outside of the buffet for example. I don't like the push for drink cards, bottomless sodas, etc.

I also think that the MDR service on the S-class- it's too noisy and crowded for me.

However- it's still a great value. If I were paying $2000 per person I would have higher expectations- in terms of food and not having flea market sales by the pool on sea days and that sort of thing which I find tacky.

It seem to me that today's cruisers are always trying to compare service levels, food quality, & condition of cabin & overall ship. Therefore to maintain a customer base different lines offer many choices for the traveler.

My experience tells me that Celebrity has been very consistent in its approach to customer service. Yes I agree there is to much nickel & dimeing & the overall food quality is somewhat lower in the MDR. However I think it is up to the customer to make wise decisions & be informed about the actual result can be.

Personally I think a lot of cruisers today feel that they are entitled & will always be disappointed with any cruise line. I have watched the dress code on Celebrity detorriate to a new level. Rules are not inforced & passengers are not made accountable. Almost on every cruise there are many I would refused entrance to the MDR for inapportiate dress. Just one example.

Celebrity appears to appeal to an older, more experienced traveler, with differnent needs tan the " Fun Ships ". Maybe they should focus on these issues.

Most all of my travel experience has been very positive. Do your homework before the cruise. Determine & book shore excursions early, cabin choices, & flight schedules. Makes for an over-all better experience.

Cruise Critic boards offer a wealth of information, as well as others. ( use it )

Finally let me say be NICE !!! To your fellow passengers, waiters & staff, cabin attendants, & overall crew on the vessel. They will remember you & provide great service should you have a problem.

John

1. Cold Beer

As Wine-O pointed out, cigars are not allowed at the Mast bar. The port side of the Sunset bar is more peaceful anyway, especially in the evenings, and you pretty much have a private bartender.

Other than adjusting that one expectation looks like you're good to go.

lately i have seen a lot of reviews from new celebrity cruisers who were disappointed in the product...it reminds me when i bought my first mercedes. I guess i thought the car would hover over the road, have an interior made of gold, and grant my every wish...at the end of the day, it was a nice car, but only a car...had some better qualities vs. Other cars and some that were not. Some of my previous cars had features i wish the mercedes had, but i was resigned to make the best of it. I.e. A cruise company is just a product like a car, some features are better then others and some people like one car better then another.

So celebrity is seen as superior by some compared to the less expensive cruise lines and i guess they expect what i did in my first luxury car...if you have expectations you will usually be disappointed...

thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

In my opinion, celebrity is not a luxury cruise line, but on the higher end of mass market. If you are looking for "luxury" you may be disappointed. With the right attitude and expectations, you will be pleased.

Enjoy

M

You are correct. The S class are 5.5 stars, the M class 5 stars, and the Century 4.5 stars. Lines such as Regent, Crystal etc., are in the 6 star range; and they are considerably more expensive.

Lately I have seen a lot of reviews from new Celebrity cruisers who were disappointed in the product...it reminds me when I bought my first Mercedes. I guess I thought the car would hover over the road, have an interior made of gold, and grant my every wish...at the end of the day, it was a nice car, but only a car...had some better qualities vs. other cars and some that were not. Some of my previous cars had features I wish the Mercedes had, but I was resigned to make the best of it. I.E. a cruise company is just a product like a car, some features are better then others and some people like one car better then another.

In my experience, the actual population that you'll experience on your cruise will be absolutely nothing like the population of people that post to this message board or enter reviews on this site. Frankly, if they were, I doubt I would like cruising as much as I do.

First the population on this board much older and a much more seasoned cruiser. We've been on a few Celebrity cruises and I can count on one hand the total number of "Elites" that we've encountered. More proof of the relative lack of "Elites" on cruises can be seen at embarkation where the lines for Elites are nil while the line for the rest of the lowly masses stretches around the block.

Why does that make a difference? Many of these extremely seasoned cruisers seem burned out on cruises. So, they constantly complain about the most insignificant things. They complain about ridiculously trivial things like the music, kids onboard, the clothes people wear on formal night, and whether their room steward left mints on their peoples. In addition, they ache for their glory days back when Captain Stubing and Julie McCoy were running the show.

Second, the proportion of people that actually enter reviews on this site is ridiculously tiny. Consider the current reviews on the Silhouette -- there are only 420 reviews for that ship. That ship has been sailing for over 2.5 years -- based on its 2,800 passenger limit, there have probably been 350,000 passengers on board that ship. That means that an minuscule 0.12% of the passengers bothered to write a review on the ship.

And who writes online reviews? Have you spent much time on Yelp or this CC sister's site, TripAdvisor? I have been to restaurants with 3 Michelin Stars and received flawless service with the best meal I've had in my life. Yet, if you got TripAdvisor you'll find folks that somehow find lots of fault with the restaurant. The same goes for hotels.

When you combined anonymity with wildly unrealistic expectations and a grand sense of entitlement, you're bound to see the reviews you've been seeing.

I'm not saying that Celebrity (or anyone else) is flawless. But, you have to take all these online reviews with a bit of context.

Celebrity has sunk to the level of pushing products and I don't like that. I don't like the Specialty dinner kiosks outside of the buffet for example. I don't like the push for drink cards, bottomless sodas, etc.

I totally agree! This was an aspect that hoped to escape when we left RC -- but in the last year or so, X has gotten just as as bad. Last spring on Equinox, we (and many others in our roll-call) did not receive an invitation to the Connections Party we had registered for. We had to go to the GR desk to find the time and location for the party.

But then, every single day, we received piles of "special invitations" to sales in the shops, demonstrations in the spa, art auctions -- and other things we had no interest in. They even had the Captain shilling for them -- no kidding! We got an invitation to come meet the Captain at a one-night sale in the jewelry store! Needless to say, that one went into the trash, as well. :rolleyes: