Vegetarian Menu

TravlGrl

Hello HAL cruisers!

DH will be sailing HAL for the first time Feb 7 on Noordam. We read that HAL has an alternative vegetarian menu that can be supplied upon request at lunch and dinner in the MDR, but I'm not finding the actual menu anywhere online.

I've read past posts where people have posted a few veggie items that are available in the buffet and on the regular dinner menu (and they sound good, i.e. the Thai wraps!), but I'd really like to see the actual vegetarian menu that is supplied at dinner. Does anyone have this, and if so, can you post it?

Thank you!

Edited by TravlGrl

Remember that the dining room is not always open for lunch.

This is a dinner menu that posted some time ago:

VEGETARIAN MENU (Thanks to Lisa 63)

Select one option from each section to be served the following evening.

Appetizers

Lemon and Spinach Ricotta Dip

Vegetarian Mezza Plate (vegan) - Baba Ghanousch, hummus, tabbouleh

Vegetable Terrine - broccoli, carrot, zucchini, tarragon sour cream

Strawberry and Bucatini Bruschetta

Vegetarian Sushi Roll (vegan) - avocado, cucumber, red pimento

Portabello Mushroom and Chipotle Quesadilla

Vietnamese Vegetable Spring Roll (vegan)

Curried Vegetable Empanadas

Soups

Asian Noodle Soup (vegan)

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup (vegan)

Pasta Fagioli (vegan)

Salads

Tossed Fresh Garden Greens (vegan)

Spicy Lentil and Garbanzo Salad (vegan)

Entrees

Baked Cheese Polenta with Mushrooms Artichoke Hearts

Asparagus, Carrot and Zucchini Tart

Baked Vegetable Lasagna

Vegetable and Bean Chili - with sour cream

Pad Thai Noodles (vegan)

Vegetable Jambalaya (vegan)

Spinach Palak Curry

Sweet and Sour Vegetable Tempura (vegan)

Grilled Vegetable and Tofo Kabob (vegan)

Hello from your roll call mate:)

I am not a vegetarian, but on HAL cruises the vegetarian options on the MDR menu are so appealing that I order more meatless than meat! They have a few different AMAZING lentil soups and a black bean burger at lunch that really stand out. I think you will find plenty of delicious lunch and dinners to enjoy!

Disclaimer: Our last HAL sailing was April 2013, so things may have changed in the last 9 months. There were always a couple vegetarian entrees on the standard menu. It appears they have put together entire vegetarian/vegan menus now. However it is presented, it seems HAL is really interested in developing vegetarian options, not just as an after thought:)

Remember that the dining room is not always open for lunch.

This is a dinner menu that posted some time ago:

VEGETARIAN MENU (Thanks to Lisa 63)

Select one option from each section to be served the following evening.

Appetizers

Lemon and Spinach Ricotta Dip

Vegetarian Mezza Plate (vegan) - Baba Ghanousch, hummus, tabbouleh

Vegetable Terrine - broccoli, carrot, zucchini, tarragon sour cream

Strawberry and Bucatini Bruschetta

Vegetarian Sushi Roll (vegan) - avocado, cucumber, red pimento

Portabello Mushroom and Chipotle Quesadilla

Vietnamese Vegetable Spring Roll (vegan)

Curried Vegetable Empanadas

Soups

Asian Noodle Soup (vegan)

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup (vegan)

Pasta Fagioli (vegan)

Salads

Tossed Fresh Garden Greens (vegan)

Spicy Lentil and Garbanzo Salad (vegan)

Entrees

Baked Cheese Polenta with Mushrooms Artichoke Hearts

Asparagus, Carrot and Zucchini Tart

Baked Vegetable Lasagna

Vegetable and Bean Chili - with sour cream

Pad Thai Noodles (vegan)

Vegetable Jambalaya (vegan)

Spinach Palak Curry

Sweet and Sour Vegetable Tempura (vegan)

Grilled Vegetable and Tofo Kabob (vegan)

I am not a vegetarian or vegan, but I have to say that these dishes sound very enticing. Nice to see that HAL has such a nice variety of options.

Hello from your roll call mate:)

I am not a vegetarian, but on HAL cruises the vegetarian options on the MDR menu are so appealing that I order more meatless than meat! They have a few different AMAZING lentil soups and a black bean burger at lunch that really stand out. I think you will find plenty of delicious lunch and dinners to enjoy!

Disclaimer: Our last HAL sailing was April 2013, so things may have changed in the last 9 months. There were always a couple vegetarian entrees on the standard menu. It appears they have put together entire vegetarian/vegan menus now. However it is presented, it seems HAL is really interested in developing vegetarian options, not just as an after thought:)

As far as I know, they still have both. There are a couple of really good vegetarian entrees on the standard menu or you can ask for the vegetarian menu the night before to order your next evening's meal. Actually you can ask for both the next night's menu and the vegetarian menu so you can make your selection for the next day.

Thanks for all of the feedback. *waving to HALrunner!*

I am LOVING that menu, Krazy Kruizers!

So, it sounds like we need to order a night in advance, so for the first night I guess we will be limited to the regular menu.

My challenge with ordering the night before is...what if we make a last-minute decision to skip the MDR and visit the buffet instead? Will the food we pre-ordered for that evening go to waste? Also, what if I pre-order a certain item the night before, but when it comes down to dinner time that evening, I'm craving something else? We have open seating, so I'm wondering how that will work -- does it mean we'll be limited to sitting in the same section each night because of our pre-ordered menu items?

It sounds like a phone call to Ship Services might be in order, as I don't expect anyone here will have those answers, but the process doesn't feel practical at all. I'm thankful the menu even exists, and HAL has marketed it as the most extensive vegetarian/vegan menu at sea with 52 menu items <insert applause :) >. I just didn't expect these rules of ordering.

We'll figure it out though. Thanks so much for the info!

Thanks for all of the feedback. *waving to HALrunner!*

I am LOVING that menu, Krazy Kruizers!

So, it sounds like we need to order a night in advance, so for the first night I guess we will be limited to the regular menu.

My challenge with ordering the night before is...what if we make a last-minute decision to skip the MDR and visit the buffet instead? Will the food we pre-ordered for that evening go to waste? Also, what if I pre-order a certain item the night before, but when it comes down to dinner time that evening, I'm craving something else? We have open seating, so I'm wondering how that will work -- does it mean we'll be limited to sitting in the same section each night because of our pre-ordered menu items?

It sounds like a phone call to Ship Services might be in order, as I don't expect anyone here will have those answers, but the process doesn't feel practical at all. I'm thankful the menu even exists, and HAL has marketed it as the most extensive vegetarian/vegan menu at sea with 52 menu items <insert applause :) >. I just didn't expect these rules of ordering.

We'll figure it out though. Thanks so much for the info!

For many cruises, when we had fixed seating, I would order from the veg menu each evening for the following night. During those days HAL usually offered only one veg option each night on the regular menu in the MDR and not always to my liking. Once we switched to open seating (which we LOVE!) it was more difficult to pre-order from the veg menu. At around the same time HAL started offering more veg options, and not just the entree. There is always 1 and often 2 choices for each course that are indicated as Vegetarian. For the last 4 or 5 cruises I have not even asked for the vegetarian menu. Like you, I like the freedom to decide on the spot what I want to have and when I choose to have dinner. We do not dine in the Pinnacle--our experience there was not veg-friendly (I was offered fish). We find the menu in the MDR to be more than interesting and have always enjoyed our meals there. I only wish land-based restaurants offered similar choices. Have fun!

I'm not vegetarian but very often order vegetarian choices from the regular menu. There are usually two (and sometimes more) entrees offered. I think they have nice variety and ample vegetarian choices..

My DH just called and spoke with Sai at Ship Services. Apparently, the process has changed. There is no pre-ordering at all. ALL of the vegetarian items are now available on the regular menu every night. Of course, this is hard for me to believe since there are 52 veggie items. It seems the menu would need to be quite LARGE to accommodate that.

DH asked twice, paraphrased, and asked AGAIN just to be ultra clear (because he knows I'm totally detailed and want clear and accurate information) and she repeated, "Yes, there is no pre-ordering whatsoever for any vegetarian items."

*fingers crossed that this is the case!* If so, my initial concerns have all been alleviated. YAY!

My DH just called and spoke with Sai at Ship Services. Apparently, the process has changed. There is no pre-ordering at all. ALL of the vegetarian items are now available on the regular menu every night. Of course, this is hard for me to believe since there are 52 veggie items. It seems the menu would need to be quite LARGE to accommodate that.

DH asked twice, paraphrased, and asked AGAIN just to be ultra clear (because he knows I'm totally detailed and want clear and accurate information) and she repeated, "Yes, there is no pre-ordering whatsoever for any vegetarian items."

*fingers crossed that this is the case!* If so, my initial concerns have all been alleviated. YAY!

Cruise line reps, on multiple cruise lines, have been known to give out inaccurate information over the phone. You see that expressed across many of the forums on CC. However, hopefully HAL has given you the right information!

To be safe, I would double check when you get on board.

Cruise line reps, on multiple cruise lines, have been known to give out inaccurate information over the phone. You see that expressed across many of the forums on CC. However, hopefully HAL has given you the right information!

To be safe, I would double check when you get on board.

You're absolutely right which is why I asked DH to call back and speak with someone else. Sai answered again, so he hung up! We'll try again tomorrow.

When HAL introduced that new vegetarian menu, I ordered a couple things from it. I was very disappointed. For instance, the butternut squash soup was chunks of squash floating in some brownish, thin broth. Tasted awful!

Also, I had to order items the night before.

I agree with the person who said that sometimes you get inaccurate info on the phone from HAL reps. I can't imagine they'd have all 52 items ready to go ... but then again, maybe they're just a bunch of frozen dinners, a la Lean Cuisine. :eek:

I often order the vegetarian dishes on the regular menu each night, and I've always been pleased with my selections.

(I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't eat red meat or shellfish.)

The menu options were excellent! I usually pre-ordered and if something was appealing on the regular menu the wait staff happily accommodated me. The butternut squash soup was amazing looking forward to my next sailing 2/23/14. By the way the poolside grill offers a delicious portobello mushroom burger that you shouldn't miss.

You will not go hungry or be disappointed with the taste of the dishes.

Fellow vegetarian from NY.

Sounds delish! Really looking forward to this cruise, and the food even more than I thought. Just leaving your great state of NY after having attended the Super Bowl to see my Seahawks win big! This cruise is up next in just a few days and I'm thrilled to see that so many people are raving about the vegetarian food, even the carnivores. That says a lot!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Edited by TravlGrl

• 2 weeks later...

We are on day 6 of our 10-night cruise and I just want to report in that the food has been GREAT! We've only eaten in the MDR half of the time, but there have been some good options. The nights we've skipped so far were for specialty dining, the buffet one night, and a lazy night ordering room service. I must say that the Thai Vegetarian Rolls on the room service menu were completely inedible. They were sooooooo spicy, no matter how hard we tried, neither of us could handle it. Such a shame because I love curry but these were obnoxiously spicy. Other than that, we've been really pleased with the veggie options for all meals!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

If you liked everything but one item, that's pretty good. My DSIL will be pleased to hear that the vegetarian options are good.

We just disembarked this morning. One thing in particular that I really appreciated was the Asian station in the Lido buffet. Every day, there were different vegetarian options as opposed to the same ol' things every day. Additionally, near the meat carving station, there were typically 1-2 Indian vegetarian options every day. HAL won me from this perspective!