Health Officials Greet Royal Caribbean Ship and Sick Passengers

LauraS

barrier is usually another word for surface. All surfaces on/in the ship will be sterilized. Rooms etc should be cleaned before anything is brought back into the room. (retired RN here)

Thanks. I, too, also wondered what that meant.

I guess any B2B cruisers had to pack up everything instead of being able to leave it in their cabin for their next cruise. That would suck if they did, but I guess better safe than sick.

wonder if the B2B passengers were given instructions re cleaning their belongings before returning to the ship? If you google ship cleaning protocols- you can find several documents from 2007 & later that address how the ship is cleaned including even a fogging (not sure that is being done now) & it does seem like a full replacement of items in each room as well as a full cleaning. Would think those who were on the first leg of this -should do a full cleaning of their items that were on the ship. Don't recall how long the virus lasts on surfaces.

not sure if I saw that anyone had posted this link to the cdc's info-

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/

Best wishes to those sailing this week- on any ship it's the time of year when viruses are all over the place.

PS Didn't the Summit have an recent outbreak & they sailed out our of Bayone NJ as well - it may be a Jersey thing (sorry I am a NYer & couldn't resist. ) One needs to keep their sense of humor at times like this.

Any yes I was on the GOS's fire cruise so I've experienced an not so fun cruise. Was also on a HAL cruise in 2006- where we had a mild outbreak- of noro- many activities were halted & the sanitizer was free flowing as well as elbow bumps.

wonder if the B2B passengers were given instructions re cleaning their belongings before returning to the ship? If you google ship cleaning protocols- you can find several documents from 2007 & later that address how the ship is cleaned including even a fogging (not sure that is being done now) & it does seem like a full replacement of items in each room as well as a full cleaning. Would think those who were on the first leg of this -should do a full cleaning of their items that were on the ship. Don't recall how long the virus lasts on surfaces.

not sure if I saw that anyone had posted this link to the cdc's info-

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/

Best wishes to those sailing this week- on any ship it's the time of year when viruses are all over the place.

PS Didn't the Summit have an recent outbreak & they sailed out our of Bayone NJ as well - it may be a Jersey thing (sorry I am a NYer & couldn't resist. ) One needs to keep their sense of humor at times like this.

Any yes I was on the GOS's fire cruise so I've experienced an not so fun cruise. Was also on a HAL cruise in 2006- where we had a mild outbreak- of noro- many activities were halted & the sanitizer was free flowing as well as elbow bumps.

We were on a b2b when there was noro on the first leg. Something was sprayed throughout the ship. Those of us who stayed on board were instructed to go to the Viking Crown Lounge to wait it out. The VCL can be blocked off and sprayed at a later time. We were given free drinks and many officers were there to answer questions.

...... it does seem like a full replacement of items in each room as well as a full cleaning. .......

Hi, thank you for the information and links.

during the last few years, I read many posts and looked at many web sites that deal with gastro problems . That subject is of interest to me / us because wife and I had the misfortune of having all of the symptoms that norovirus causes. In my case very mild.

It was few years back on the Mariner. We reported our problems to the steward. Wife got very dehydrated and ended up at the medical facility for about 6 /8 hours to get IV with some fluids ( we got billed for that about 980 dol. ).

The doctor did not ask us to stay in the cabin ( she did anyhow during the time of the symptoms) and had no way of knowing if it was norovirus or something else, so he just called it gastroenteritis.

As far as I know the cabin never got any special cleaning.

It is hard for me to imagine all the full cleaning and replacements of the items in the cabins - they have so little time, even if they have one or two days in case of the Explorer,..... where would they get so many replacement items ?

BTW. On that cruise when we got sick, similar to all the other cruises ...... we washed and washed our hands many times a day, we did not use any public restrooms, we used all the sanitizers before eating ...... and still got it .... who knows where. I think it was on the ship - the symptoms showed up on day 3 or 4.

Never blamed the ship or cruise line - one can get sick anywhere.

Edited by wieslaw