Sea days on a transatlantic

grandgeezer

Does HAL do anything extra to help pass time on the eight sea days going across the Atlantic? Guest speakers? extra activities? I am not a big sea day person, that's why we quit cruising to Hawaii as it's 4-5 days.

The reason I ask is, my travel agent has some block space on the 25 day cruise on the Nordam, in March, and would rather give her best customers a deal rather than turn it back in to the cruise line. We're talking over $300 p.p. off HAL's price plus a nice little obc.

Also, can you book one way air from them? Their current price is high and their flight from Phoenix to Ft. Lauderdale is a red eye. I can answer this question just by calling them, but I'd rather hear it from someone who has actually done it, if it can be done.

Oh yea, one last question, don't they have a daily laundry rate package rather than sending it in after you have an accumulation? This would help with paking.

Thanks...

Does HAL do anything extra to help pass time on the eight sea days going across the Atlantic? Guest speakers? extra activities? I am not a big sea day person, that's why we quit cruising to Hawaii as it's 4-5 days.

The reason I ask is, my travel agent has some block space on the 25 day cruise on the Nordam, in March, and would rather give her best customers a deal rather than turn it back in to the cruise line. We're talking over $300 p.p. off HAL's price plus a nice little obc.

Also, can you book one way air from them? Their current price is high and their flight from Phoenix to Ft. Lauderdale is a red eye. I can answer this question just by calling them, but I'd rather hear it from someone who has actually done it, if it can be done.

Oh yea, one last question, don't they have a daily laundry rate package rather than sending it in after you have an accumulation? This would help with paking.

Thanks...

We love transatlantics. They are marvelous. the number of sea days sounds huge but the time passes so quickly. On the ones we have been on there have been very good lecturers. Very enjoyable. Usually 2 - 3 lecturers.

And, since there are sea days, there are a few more activities, like wine tastings, more food demonstrations and that kind of thing.

You can book one way air fare from HAL and some have reported that their price is better. I don't care for their flights but you can also request a deviation if you don't like the itinerary. Depending upon your * status you may even have the fee waived. Typically, we book our own air as we usually find something that appeals more. When we can, we use FF miles.

Laundry - yes you can get the unlimited laundry package which just means that you can put it out every day, twice a day, whatever suits you.

Now, if you don't like sea days.....hard to say what you will think ....but, a TA is a lot different than a standard sea day IMO. You get in the mode - relax and enjoy.

If you have an active roll call, they might also be organizing activities - for example - cabin crawls, wine tastings, etc. On our last TA we even had photo meetings, Ipad sessions & river cruising talks along with our meet and greets. We had an absolute blast :D

Kazu has said it all.

We have found the HAL air prices to be very good for Europe, especially the one way flights.

There is tons to do on sea days, but if you really didn't like the 4-5 sea days to Hawaii, then I would reconsider going an 8 sea day transatlantic. 8 days is a loooong time!

... but you can also request a deviation if you don't like the itinerary. Depending upon your * status you may even have the fee waived.

They don't do that any more under the new Flight Ease program that started last May or so: http://www.hollandamerica.com/pageByName/Simple.action?requestPage=FlightEase

We have found the HAL air prices to be very good for Europe, especially the one way flights.

There is tons to do on sea days, but if you really didn't like the 4-5 sea days to Hawaii, then I would reconsider going an 8 sea day transatlantic. 8 days is a loooong time!

Ditto on both statements. Just a 4-day stretch between the Azores and Bermuda was more than I like. :)

Edited by jtl513

We love our sea days and look forward to a cruise this year where 12 out of the first 14 days are at sea. However, it is not for everyone. DW reminds me of a Prinsendam cruise when one lady was ready to scream after only the 2nd sea day (and we had 5 more before reaching our first port). We asked her wasn't she aware of all the sea days when she booked and she explained that she figured it would be OK even thought she hated sea days. Duh! So my question to the OP is why would you book that cruise if you know you do not like all those sea days? To save some money? If you are going to be miserable then its best to keep that money in your pocket.

Hank

I should have mentioned that I've done two transatlantics but they were on Celebrity. The way it sounds, HAL does much the same things that Celebrity does to make the time go by faster. I thoroughly loved doing it on Celebrity so it sounds like HAL will be the same. I've cruised HAL nine times so I know how the regular cruises work, I just wanted to make sure they treated the eight sea days on the transatlantic a bit different. I'll check with HAL on air tomorrow and if the air is reasonable, I'm out of here in March. Thanks for the feedback.

We were supposed to have a port lecturer on my transatlantic on the Eurodam in April 2013 from Fort Lauderdale to Civateveccia. However, he had a flight delay from his previous cruise and didn't reach the ship in time. We were supposed to have 6 sea days in a row and then one port. However, we had to miss the port due to high winds, so we had 9 sea days in a row. We did have a lot of activities, though, but it would have been nice to have had the lecturer on board.

As you have already discovered that you don't like sea days, I would pass on it. A cruise that you know that you will not enjoy is not a bargain, irregardless of the promotion. Skip it and use the money for an itinerary that you will enjoy.

As you have already discovered that you don't like sea days, I would pass on it. A cruise that you know that you will not enjoy is not a bargain, irregardless of the promotion. Skip it and use the money for an itinerary that you will enjoy.

Absolutely!

DW and I love TAs, but a good friend was bored with two sea days in a row.

Do what you enjoy most, it's your vacation!

I don't like the "traditional" sea days on normal cruises. As I stated before, the extra activities that Celebrity had on the TA made the time go by so fast that I did it a second time. It sounds like Holland does the same thing. I'm waiting to hear back on air cost, and if it's reasonable, we're out of here in March. If not, life isn't real bad in Phoenix the end of March,first part of April.

I don't like the "traditional" sea days on normal cruises. As I stated before, the extra activities that Celebrity had on the TA made the time go by so fast that I did it a second time. It sounds like Holland does the same thing. I'm waiting to hear back on air cost, and if it's reasonable, we're out of here in March. If not, life isn't real bad in Phoenix the end of March,first part of April.

I would say that HAL does not really do a lot more for the transatlantic sea days, overall. I have said there is tons to do, but I meant that as for ALL sea days on any cruise.

Hope this all works out well for you!

Several years ago we sailed Europe to Florida. I think it was 8 days at sea. I remember a question and answer session with a member of the bridge crew. He described his job (I think he was radar) and then we asked questions; it was really interesting. We also had a guest lecturer who gave several lectures on the founding of America. It was a "Big Bands" cruise so there were dance lessons during the day. I took a class in cocktails and appetizers and got to eat and drink the results. There were two wine tasting classes: one for "ordinary" wines and one for fine wines. There was a lot of bingo, trivia, etc. Also a boat building contest using throwaway things. I'm sure you could find lots to pique your interest.

Happy Cruising

Arizona Cruisin

Several years ago we sailed Europe to Florida. I think it was 8 days at sea. I remember a question and answer session with a member of the bridge crew. He described his job (I think he was radar) and then we asked questions; it was really interesting. We also had a guest lecturer who gave several lectures on the founding of America. It was a "Big Bands" cruise so there were dance lessons during the day. I took a class in cocktails and appetizers and got to eat and drink the results. There were two wine tasting classes: one for "ordinary" wines and one for fine wines. There was a lot of bingo, trivia, etc. Also a boat building contest using throwaway things. I'm sure you could find lots to pique your interest.

Happy Cruising

Arizona Cruisin

Thanks neighbor (we're from AZ also):

This is the kind of info I was looking for. It'll be nice to be gone for 25 days and see many Med. ports.