Credit Card Fraud in New Orleans

sunandsnow

We recently cruised out of NOLA on Serenade. We spent 4 days pre-cruise in New Orleans. Upon return our credit card company called us with charges (over $1,000) that we did not make. We did not use the card on the cruise only in NO. We charged our hotel, gas, food and some clothing purchases. Please beware of using your credit card in New Orleans. We feel that was where our card was compromised. We wish we would've used only cash.

We recently cruised out of NOLA on Serenade. We spent 4 days pre-cruise in New Orleans. Upon return our credit card company called us with charges (over $1,000) that we did not make. We did not use the card on the cruise only in NO. We charged our hotel, gas, food and some clothing purchases. Please beware of using your credit card in New Orleans. We feel that was where our card was compromised. We wish we would've used only cash.

This can happen in any city, anywhere, in the world. It's a bit unfair to portray this as a New Orleans problem.

I understand that this can happen anywhere. Just posted to inform others who might want to use cash only. I'm not going to name places we charged because I do not know where the card was compromised. We did not use our card at Target. We did charge our hotel, two restaurants, two gas stations, a clothing store and two grocery stores.

I am glad we had informed our credit card companies that we would be traveling and they were great on informing us when they noticed "strange" charges.

Mine was definitely compromised in New Orleans, by a skimmer at a gas station. It happens though and other than having to move money to a different account it didn't affect me. I try to stick with busy chain gas stations but was on E and didn't have a choice.

Some hotel and food workers will also skim your card. NEVER leave your room cards behind or turn them in. Your credit card info is often on the mag stripe of your room key! Nothing to worry about if it is a credit card. Just don't pay the fraudulent charges! Like another said; this can happen anywhere not just N.O.!

NEVER leave your room cards behind or turn them in. Your credit card info is often on the mag stripe of your room key!

I understand not leaving them in the room, but why not turn them in to the desk? Don't the desk people have access to my room account anyway?

Do you just throw the electronic room cards away? I hadn't thought about it before but they probably aren't reusable. Guess I still have habits from when I used to get a metal key.

This was random that I clicked on this forum as I"m not planning a trip to NO but I have a friend who traveled there and is dealing with fraud sounds like maybe the same time as you. I know, I know happens everywhere but found it odd today. She has had quite the headache.

When I was in NOLA last year same thing happened to me. I had fraudulent charges on my card when I returned. All fraudulent charges were made in New Orleans. Thank goodness it was on my Amex they are the best when it comes to fraudulent charges.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Forums mobile app

• 3 weeks later...
I understand not leaving them in the room, but why not turn them in to the desk? Don't the desk people have access to my room account anyway?

Do you just throw the electronic room cards away? I hadn't thought about it before but they probably aren't reusable. Guess I still have habits from when I used to get a metal key.

Hotel workers including people at the front desk can take a whole stack of used room cards home with them and use the data or most likely sell it. Yes the cards are reusable. Treat your room card just like your credit card. Take your card home with you and shred it!

Some hotel and food workers will also skim your card. NEVER leave your room cards behind or turn them in. Your credit card info is often on the mag stripe of your room key! Nothing to worry about if it is a credit card. Just don't pay the fraudulent charges! Like another said; this can happen anywhere not just N.O.!

Please look this information up.

Hotels do not encode your info on your room key.

It is an urban legend and not true.

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

snopes.com has a whole page of info regarding hotel room keys. Turns out it is not true. No personal information is stored on hotel room keys. The have the room number, date of check out and number of keys issued, and that's it.

They include all the details for anyone that wants to check into it and find out the real truth. A pretty extensive study was performed with over 100 hotel room keys collected around the country. After investigating none of them held any credit card data.

snopes.com has a whole page of info regarding hotel room keys. Turns out it is not true. No personal information is stored on hotel room keys. The have the room number, date of check out and number of keys issued, and that's it.

They include all the details for anyone that wants to check into it and find out the real truth. A pretty extensive study was performed with over 100 hotel room keys collected around the country. After investigating none of them held any credit card data.

Good to know! :D

• 2 months later...

We were on the Dream Repositioning cruise on April 5. The only place we stopped and used the card was at Avis in New Orleans, then did not stop again until we were in Florida. We just got our bill and there is over $2000 in fraudulent charges, hair salon, water bills, electric bills, cell phone bills (several), Dish Network bills all in the New Orleans area. We are getting it straightened out, but I wanted to let you guys know. Check your credit card if you went to Avis.

That's horrible! That's happened to us twice, but we have no way of knowing how this person got our check card number. We live in Oklahoma, and someone in California was using our bank account/check card number to go on a shopping spree to the tune of nearly $2000. Another time, someone in New York used it to order themselves a new laptop from Walmart. Luckily, both times our bank was on it and shut off our account immediately, and we were reimbursed for all the charges.

Your card might have been skimmed by anyone near you when you stopped to get your car. It doesn't have to be someone at Avis. And often, it's skimmed weeks before it's actually used.

Exactly.

My mother in law just had $4000 in charges and $3000 removed from her bank account and this is a little old lady that can not remember the last time she used her card.

It is too the point now tha I expect my card number to be stolen, I expect everything I do on the internet is being tracked, and I know I am giving my soul away when I agree to term and conditions I would never have the time or patience to read.

Frankly, unless the OP has proof it was stolen from Avis in NO, I think what she is doing is liabling herself.

This is becoming a huge problem. Has happened to my daughter twice now. The bank said, in our area, Murphy Gas (Walmart) is the biggest culprit. Probably because they stay so busy. But they just slip a card reader inside the pump card reader and get everything they need....This world....:(