Is my time dining a different dress code?

What is accepted by the host is all that matters. Passengers have no right to foist what they feel is mandatory on those who happen to have a different viewpoint.

Nailed it!

Edited by ryano

Thanks for everyone's feedback. We go to the trouble of packing the required items for MDR, and I know many people we talk to are disappointed by the blatant disregard for dress code. I do think it is part of the cruise experience to dress up and there are many other options for those that don't want to bother. Anyhow, we will enjoy ourselves regardless.

We have been wondering if we have misunderstood the MTD dress code as we thought it was the same as the normal traditional time dress code. We are currently on Radiance and have been a bit shocked to see t-shirts with printed slogans, camouflage shorts and baseball caps worn at the tables around us. Personally I thought nobody ever wears a baseball cap at the dinner table, but if the dress code has dropped that far I can save myself a lot of packing. Formal night has been of a pretty low standard also.

I am thinking of walking around and taking photos but it has been so widespread that I wanted to check with the knowledge base here on the forum before formally giving RCI feedback on this issue.

No its not.

We are soon going on our cruise and the thing I dread the most is having to drag along dress up clothing for dinner. I am a casual person and don't like pomp and circumstance. It's not fun for me to have to pack more clothing, just to fulfill dress code requirements. I wish they would make it formal optional and make it comfortable for everyone on board. While fun for some, burden for others.

I wish they would make it formal optional and make it comfortable for everyone on board. While fun for some, burden for others.

That's the thing, you see... it is already optional. As stated, there are some who dress up and some who do not. You do not have to wear a fancy dress to Formal Night if you don't want to. You can certainly look lovely in, say, black dress pants and a nice top with some pretty jewelry. Men do not have to wear a jacket. *shrug* Even the wait staff encourage passengers to come to Formal Night when they say "We don't have any formal clothing to wear.". I read that all the time here. :)

That's the thing, you see... it is already optional.

It isn't optional for those that feel it is proper to dress according to the evening dress code. It might be optional for those that are comfortable disregarding the dress code.

Personally, I believe the staff encourages people to come regardless of dress for two reasons. One, it is the polite thing to do. It would not be right to make anyone feel unwelcome or uncomfortable. Two, it likely affects their tips.

I really don't care what people wear on a cruise ship. I have three young adult children and I am amazed that their peers don't seem to know how to dress for different occasions. What bothers me is that people today seem to have no issue disregarding, what I believe to be, a fairly simple request.

I agree with those that feel the cruise line should do away with "formal" night.

Just off the Serenade and noticed the same thing with shorts, logo t-shirts, flip flops in the dining room. The dining room and servers are so elegant, and to come to dinner where they place a cloth napkin on your lap, it seems a contradiction for that napkin to be put on a pair of cut-off jeans and a t-shirt and flip-flops. It's actually a shame, and although it wasn't the norm, there was much more of it than I ever remember seeing before.

People are just overlooking my post at the top of this page. I don't know about other ships, but what I posted is directly from The Daily Cruise Compass on Freedom! Every day was casual in the MDR except the 2 Formal Nights, which was still "Suggested" No one..I repeat no one was put out because of what they were wearing! :cool:

Just off the Serenade and noticed the same thing with shorts, logo t-shirts, flip flops in the dining room. The dining room and servers are so elegant, and to come to dinner where they place a cloth napkin on your lap, it seems a contradiction for that napkin to be put on a pair of cut-off jeans and a t-shirt and flip-flops. It's actually a shame, and although it wasn't the norm, there was much more of it than I ever remember seeing before.

Exactly! Why don't people get that? Not to mention the entire ambiance of the dining room. Sitting there in crappy clothes is like hawking a loogie on a Van Gogh. I'm sure everyone would complain if the servers showed up wearing those kinds of clothes.

My wife and I are not the type that likes to dress up either. We've always done MTD. She does however wear a dress and I slacks, dress shirt and tie. I can't picture us going all out with the whole tux and formal gown.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm sure not even the strictest dress code people would object. Personally as long as someone's wearing somewhat dressy clothes I think that's appropriate. Just not t-shirts, shorts, or baseball caps.

More and more people are dressing down on cruises. On our last couple of cruises we've given up bringing suits and fancy dresses to wear in the MDR. Now, mind you, we're not to the slob stage with ball caps, shorts and TShirts in the MDR. I do think that smart casual at a minimum should be enforced. No shorts, flip flop and certainly, unless there's a medical reason, take your ball cap off.

Maybe they could hire this guy to enforce the rules:

Edited by nbsjcruiser

What is elegant about the servers? I don't see putting a napkin on your lap as something elegant. I also don't see sitting down at a table with a single wilted flower and a name card of the waiter (misspelled name in our most recent case) as elegant either. The cruise line is trying to move the people along so that the next group can come in. The days of old are gone.

. Personally as long as someone's wearing somewhat dressy clothes I think that's appropriate. Just not t-shirts, shorts, or baseball caps.

I can agree with you on that. Those are the items that are clearly prohibited in the MDR.

The next night our main waiter asked where we had been the night before. We told him we had no formal wear with us and his response was (paraphrasing) "That doesn't matter! You should have come." So, though formal wear is suggested, it is by no means a necessity--at least it wasn't on the Oasis last spring.

Same on Freedom last week. The teen at our table (tablemates) got a look of horror on his face when Formal night was mentioned, and our waiter went out of his way to tell him that he simply must come, that he should wear what he had, and not worry about it. His family had formal clothes, but he didn't.

I think what some people sometimes miss is that etiquette is about making other people feel comfortable, not about following rules or being right. It's about making other people feel welcome and wanted and appreciated -- that's good manners. So if people at your table have gone to the trouble to dress for dinner, they might now feel a little uncomfortable or even foolish because other people around them haven't.

If someone following the stated dress suggestion feels foolish, that's on them, IMO. We were more dressed up than many and we didn't feel foolish for doing that. And for those who wore tuxedos instead of the dark suits DH and DS had, I certainly hope they didn't feel foolish because they were more formal than we were! They were following the suggestions perfectly, we were following it more loosely, and others to varying degrees. Feeling foolish for dressing more formally on a formal night would be, well, foolish, IMO.

I got into a conversation with some women at the jewelry store onboard, and several of them had bought their righteously formal, long or short and often spangly gowns, for under $20. Kohl's seemed to be a common theme, though my adorable short spangly dress (I did not wear this to formal night but many other women wore similar on formal night was $10 at JCPenney. Hardly a burden financially.

Edited by mollyeilis

We have been wondering if we have misunderstood the MTD dress code as we thought it was the same as the normal traditional time dress code. We are currently on Radiance and have been a bit shocked to see t-shirts with printed slogans, camouflage shorts and baseball caps worn at the tables around us. Personally I thought nobody ever wears a baseball cap at the dinner table, but if the dress code has dropped that far I can save myself a lot of packing. Formal night has been of a pretty low standard also.

I am thinking of walking around and taking photos but it has been so widespread that I wanted to check with the knowledge base here on the forum before formally giving RCI feedback on this issue.

nope

My wife and I are not the type that likes to dress up either. We've always done MTD. She does however wear a dress and I slacks, dress shirt and tie. I can't picture us going all out with the whole tux and formal gown.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm sure not even the strictest dress code people would object. Personally as long as someone's wearing somewhat dressy clothes I think that's appropriate. Just not t-shirts, shorts, or baseball caps.

Well stated, DrD. Make an effort, show some respect for the "suggested" norm - after all, if they didn't want you to follow the suggestions, they wouldn't make them in the first place! Indiana, I too wouldn't object, you two have obviously made an effort to "dress for dinner." As DrD says, those who could care less for what's the norm and what's good manners and simple respect and show up in shorts, metallica t-shirts, baseball caps and flip flops are the morons who shouldn't be allowed in the MDR on formal nights!

Personally as long as someone's wearing somewhat dressy clothes I think that's appropriate. Just not t-shirts, shorts, or baseball caps.
I can agree with you on that. Those are the items that are clearly prohibited in the MDR.

SHOULD be prohibited, but unfortunately often are not... :(

Edited by LetsGetWet!

I like casual. That is my personality and I dread having to drag along extra dress up clothes, just to "fit in" with themes. I love the idea of allowing people to choose whether they want to be formal or "come as you are". When you are doing daily excursions off the ship, and then have to come back, tired and just wanting to relax, it is annoying to have to dress just to make a presence. If you want to play the game, fine, but everyone is paying a good sum of money for their cruise, so there should be options for all. They could segregate the casual dressers and have a formal section, etc. to keep everyone surrounded by their "own kinds" if they chose. To each his own is a good thing.

I like casual. That is my personality and I dread having to drag along extra dress up clothes, just to "fit in" with themes. I love the idea of allowing people to choose whether they want to be formal or "come as you are". When you are doing daily excursions off the ship, and then have to come back, tired and just wanting to relax, it is annoying to have to dress just to make a presence. If you want to play the game, fine, but everyone is paying a good sum of money for their cruise, so there should be options for all. They could segregate the casual dressers and have a formal section, etc. to keep everyone surrounded by their "own kinds" if they chose. To each his own is a good thing.

This ^!

Edited by ryano

If you want to play the game, fine, but everyone is paying a good sum of money for their cruise, so there should be options for all. They could segregate the casual dressers and have a formal section, etc. to keep everyone surrounded by their "own kinds" if they chose. To each his own is a good thing.

Well, and I'm hardly the first to mention this, you could say that the Windjammer is just that venue. It is open for dinner in part for people that don't like to dress.

Perhaps if they ramped it up on formal night and had servers it would be a more appealing venue for the tatterdemalions.

It is open for dinner in part for people that don't like to dress.

More like its open to people that just want to grab, eat and go instead of spending 2 hours on a meal in a fancy dining room.

Tatterdemalion LOL! Nice word. Had to google that one. I have yet to see "ragged clothing" on any cruise Ive been on.

Edited by ryano

True, Windjammer is a choice, but maybe you'd like to sit and be served, just not have to "put on the dog" so to speak because it is a designated "formal" night. To call people "tatterdemalions" is kind of insulting. You are not a lesser being because you prefer casual clothing. Integrity is from the inside out, not the other way around.