Any Seabourn travellers sailed SS Silver Spirit?

Poppy1966

Last year on the Odyssey on the Colonnade we had a Vongole with just the right amount chilli and garlic and we complimented the chef. We were one of the few as many older passengers....a fact not being agist......sitting around us were complaining it was too spicy.

So may be that is the problem, they get too many complaints from more people if they add in the spiciness rather then compliments.

Julie

Last year on the Odyssey on the Colonnade we had a Vongole with just the right amount chilli and garlic and we complimented the chef. We were one of the few as many older passengers....a fact not being agist......sitting around us were complaining it was too spicy.

So may be that is the problem, they get too many complaints from more people if they add in the spiciness rather then compliments.

Julie

Thats the problem every cruise line faces. Cater to the blue hairs and you have bland/boring/blech food. Cater to people with tatebuds and the bluehairs think that single chile flake = ricin.

Good question! It's because I am now in a wheelchair and we thought it might be easier to get fed aboard ship than rolling or having Chris push me for blocks and blocks in my wheelchair to and from restaurants in Waikiki or wherever we might have gone.

Of COURSE I have told the chef about the lack of garlic in dishes it belongs and much else. Good food in ships is of course subjective and when the chef tried to defend his offerings by reporting that others LIKED the food I told him, that they are not eating with my mouth. I AM so what others like is immaterial. Remember the great bumper sticker - "Eat S**! 5 billion flies cant be wrong."

As for the food in Soviet vessels....where you there? I was and are you here now? NO. I was there (didn't have as many clams then as I do now; and I am here now. I do know food, I have been eating for decades...

and for us 68 days is a short cruise. we used to go for 5 to 7 months at a time - Of the 108 ships I have sailed in I worked in 14 so being aboard for long stretches is what I am used to doing.

I think that I have answered what some have asked me

Methinks you have been afloat a tad too long. Take a break and frequent some drive thrus to reclimatize.

Yes I have and Whisper, Shadow and Cloud

I think that Whisper and Shadow are the best two ships in the SS fleet.Spirit is not so well designed.

I am sure that you will have a great time

Mr Luxury, apologies if you've expanded it previously but why do think Spirit is not so well designed? We enjoyed the design. A little different from most ships.

Willem Ruys, Miroslav Bartos in the colonnade certainly enjoys adding lots of garlic to his dishes especially pasta. He rotates between the Odyssey and Quest I think.

Thanks, Poppy. doesn't help. We are in the SEABOURN SOJOURN

You still have not said- what cruise ships that you sailed on- that you like their food?

There is no way to tell you what cruise ships whose food I'd like today...too many variables, both in personnel and what is loaded etc.

Easy to answer what SHIPS I sailed where I liked the food - but these were way in the past. I was lucky, grew up getting to sail across the Atlantic quite l few times in First Class in ships of the Italian Line so I LOVED the food on my first few ships - the VULCANIA, CONTE BIANCMANO, CRISTOFORO COLOMBO (still my favorite ship ever), LEONARDO da VINCI, MICHELANGELO, RAFFAELLO.

Later I ate very well in the SAGAFJORD, VISTAFJORD, EUROPA (of 1981) even the DAPHNE (when Karras still ran her himself) and STELLA SOLARIS (in the right years) and aboard quite a few others like the ROYAL VIKING SKY and ROYAL VIKING SEA. There have indeed been others but depended upon who was cooking.

So you haven't had a good meal on a ship since balconies were added.

The SAGAFJORD and VISTAFJORD had/have balconies and I have eaten very well when certain chefs cooked in DAM ships. Some chefs there have dished up wonderful food. Those ships have balconies

I have eaten very well when certain chefs cooked in DAM ships

The main dining rooms of the DAM ships have the blandest food on the seven seas - the waiters knew to bring sambal and tabasco every night to our table because the only identifiable spice in the cuisine was black pepper. On my past two cruises on Eurodam and Ryndam, I only received memorable food in the specialty (e.g. $urcharge) restaurants. Even on a bad day, Seabourn has superior food to Holland America.

Edited by johnnycruise

Sounds like you have enjoyed a tremendous time cruising, the ships you have sailed on were the best of an era of greatness. I have often wondered how the Liners of yesteryear would compare today, I know the styles are different but I suspect the quality would today be impossible to achieve.

I respect all your comments about the food on Sojourn.

If you go ahead, do please let us know how you get on. If Seabourn is normally your first choice, I'd say to just lower your expectations a teeny bit, and I think you'll be fine. Especially as you're so happy with itinerary.

I don't think I talked much about the service. It's different on SS, a tad more formal, but not better or worse than SB, at least in my opinion.

Apologies Ravenscroft I missed your post. If I go ahead with this trip I will most definitely review it. Thanks again and appreciate all your replies.

Having sailed both Sojourn and SS Spirit, you will be pleased with either. Yes, there are differences but it is comparing degrees of excellence. I personally preferred SS Spirit but marginally. Also couldn't believe how much beef and veal were on menus on Sojourn. Would have liked to have seen more fish and poultry.

Having cruised all of the silversea ships and most of the seabourn ones, the Silver Spirit is .. our least favourite and we've said we'll not cruise it again.

It's a shame, there are things we really liked about it, eg the proper multimedia TV with decent inputs and other modern touches in the rooms.

But we just got fed up with the public areas on the ship being too small. At breakfast the tables were crowded so close together that a trip to the buffet was an adventure in picking a way through the gaps. The theatre was too small to fit everyone in and felt packed when they tried, getting a bed in the shade on a sunny day was hard, there were so few.

The staff were great, the food was fine, the rest of the experience was good, but the design of the ship, in our opinion, didn't really work very well. Soon after that we discovered the larger seabourn ships and the lovely Seabourn Square and .. haven't looked back.