Would you sail out of Houston again?

RickSue

As I understand it they are only allowed to have a couple (possibly 4--never did figure out what the rule was) venues available to sell liquor, and then only certain drinks. I saw people having drinks so went on a search. Most were closed but there were a couple places open. It was just a surprise, and wish I would have figured out what was going on sooner.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Woah - You can't get a drink sailing out of Houston?

Yes, you can.

Texas (not Houston) law requires that any alcohol served within its boarders be purchased from a wholesaler located withion Texas.

Princess has chosen to purchase a minimal inventory of limited brands (beer, wine, spirits) from Texas wholesalers, so Princess limits themselves as to what can be served until out of Texas waters.

Same law applies to ships sailing out of Galveston, but those ships are two hours closer to being out of Texas waters.

Yes, we will cruise out of Bayport again. We are booked in November 2014.

Even with the problems, it's tough to beat being able to drive to a port. In which case, any snafu with the fog...delays, we are not scurrying to rearrange air transportation at additional cost. Can't say that when I have to fly elsewhere.

With all the negative postings I wonder how the bookings are for future cruises out of Houston. We are on this cruise in two weeks and hoping that we don't have to deal with any of these situations. If I was a Princess executive I might be reconsidering this port.

No..won't sail out of Houston again. We enjoyed our cruise and we're happy we got to snorkel in Belize, but the fog caused us to miss our plane. That was the first time we've ever missed our plane. Doing that itinerary once was enough for us.

No. Our return was delayed due to fog causing us to miss our flight. I don't expect perfection but this port adds too much risk for me. Compare the number of post on this port with all the other ports. That alone speaks volumes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Just off the Caribbean Princess. We had a great time but I didn't come across anyone (except people from Texas) who would go out of Bayport (Houston) again. I know we will be sticking with FLL from now on.

I was on the 1/4 - 1/11 cruise that missed Roatan and had a delayed disembarkation because of fog.

In the future, I will definitely seek to sail out of New Orleans, or better yet Florida, for any Caribbean cruises. Houston is just too far away from the Caribbean, and it seems the need to cover all that distance through the Gulf of Mexico to and fro makes it highly likely that ports will be missed. There just isn't much margin for error, not much slack in the sailing schedule should something go wrong.

E.g., we missed Roatan but after making Belize on Wednesday, I asked a crew member why we couldn't stop at Roatan or some other Mexican port on Thursday, figuring that since we had Friday as a sea day, that would work. But i was told that they needed the full two sea days to make it from Belize back to Houston, so no dice.

Edited by Cozumel Parrot

Yes, we would cruise out of Houston again.

Next year they will be using the Emerald out of Houston. Would prefer if they went to two different routes alternating each week instead of the exact same route each week.

Copying Carnival out of Galveston.

Far more accommodating than the Bayport terminal which is in an oil storage and shipping area.

Edited by Stevesan

Yes, we would cruise out of Houston again.

Next year they will be using the Emerald out of Houston. Would prefer if they went to two different routes alternating each week instead of the exact same route each week.

Same here...HOWEVER, we would do B2B and be grateful even if the itinerary were the same. Stating "I have already ported there" is like saying you spent 8 hours in FL and saw and did everything there was to see and do in FL!!!!

I would definitely cruise out of Houston if they would please change the itinerary...

eclue:)

I agree. We would go more often if they would change up the itinerary. We were on the repositioning cruise and a b2b and enjoyed all.

Sharon

I'm on the fence. :confused: Our last sailing out of Galveston on the Crown a year ago was delayed for many, many hours due to fog. It didn't ruin our day, in fact, it enhanced it because of the activities going on at The Strand. But the wind and fog delays thru the narrow channel to the Bayport Terminal worry me.

I love the short flight from So. Cal. and adore the Texans as a whole, but I just can't figure out if it's worth the risk of cruising there if there's the chance of major itinerary delays with DH's very tight vacation schedule.

Too far to airport? You are flying to wrong airport. Hobby is next to Bayport. Watching the ships "so close to you" is half the fun

Not sure if you have the right airport...but Hobby is not next to Bayport.

Sure its closer to Bayport than the Bush airport, but its still a distance.

ONE way from Hobby to Bayport: Taxi is around $50, Supershuttle is $47 for two people, private shuttle $50-60 for two people, Princess shuttle $50 for two people....Private car/limo driver even more..

Double those fares for round trip and add tips for round trip and it does add to the expense.

There is no way you can see the ships from any where close to Hobby.

Now the FLL airport in Fort Lauderdale, that's close to the port and very convenient although airfares are more expensive than flying into Hobby.

Has anyone had a good experience sailing out of Houston? Seems like there is a lot of negative experiences being shared, wondering if there is really a problem or if we are hearing only one side of the story.

We were on the Jan 11 cruise that was delayed in leaving (boarding started at 5pm). We had transport from the airport so we got to the terminal at 10:30. We were checked in by 11 got to see the ship come in and dock at that time. Princess arranged transport to the Kemah boardwalk , so we were able to spend time there. Which was actually quite nice. Got back to the terminal at 5 and got right on the ship.

Very good handling of a bad situation caused by fog delaying the return. Ship was stoped outside of Galveston until 8 and did not dock until 11.

ONE way from Hobby to Bayport: Taxi is around $50, Supershuttle is $47 for two people, private shuttle $50-60 for two people, Princess shuttle $50 for two people....Private car/limo driver even more..

Double those fares for round trip and add tips for round trip and it does add to the expense.

Now the FLL airport in Fort Lauderdale, that's close to the port and very convenient although airfares are more expensive than flying into Hobby.

That's cheaper than the current taxi fare to LAX from San Pedro. People never seem to complain about that and traffic can be gnarly at times. I just don't get why that is such a terrible distance for some people in TX but not in CA. :confused:

I was on the CB in January. We had a fun cruise, but going out of Galvaston or Bayport in Houston would not be a preferred choice for me.

One of the things I most enjoy on my Princess cruises, is sitting in the atrium and listening to the beautiful music, usually easy listening or familiar classic pieces. Very nice.

On the cruise out of Houston the music in the atrium was primarily country/western type, not the relaxing back ground music I love. Sure there was a pianist who played some classic pieces, but often the country western band played, which is just not my style.

Many if not most of the passengers were from Texas so the cruise line is trying to fit the music with the passenger base. I understand that and am not critical of it. Its just that the ships going out of Florida seem to be a better fit for me.

Princess transport is 24 dollars per person from IAH. Cannot seeing it being even higher from Hobby at the $25 per person you listed.

That's cheaper than the current taxi fare to LAX from San Pedro. People never seem to complain about that and traffic can be gnarly at times. I just don't get why that is such a terrible distance for some people in TX but not in CA. :confused:

You make a good point, but since I am from the midwest, my preferred ports are in Florida. I've never gone out of CA. Houston has fog, LA has traffic. I don't prefer either. I'm really surprised more ships don't go out of San Diego. The airport is very close to the port. Public transportation is great. Its a great city.

The point I was trying to make was in response to a previous poster that Hobby airport was close to Bayport terminal in Houston, even mentioning being able to watch the ships, which is incorrect information. I'm not sure if he was saying that tongue in cheek, its hard to tell with posts.

Edited by vmom

Princess transport is 24 dollars per person from IAH. Cannot seeing it being even higher from Hobby at the $25 per person you listed.

I checked out the prices for my January cruise on the CB. Its the same price for IAH and Hobby. It is likely $24 per person as you mentioned. My memory is off by $1.

Edited by vmom

Just off the Caribbean Princess. We had a great time but I didn't come across anyone (except people from Texas) who would go out of Bayport (Houston) again. I know we will be sticking with FLL from now on.

One of our next two cruises will be out of Bayport and the other out of San Pedro. Sorry to read about the NORO~~~ but things happen. Since we are closer to Bayport than either the east coast or west coast a little fog won't dissuade us. We cruise for the sea days then the ports. ;) For us they could just cruise around in the western Caribbean waters for 7 days! :D

However, we can drive down to Texas and keep the transportation costs minimal. We have driven to LA but probably not again, and we will deal with LAX transportation to San Pedro by Princess Transfer or taking the super shuttle. It 6 of one and a half a dozen of the other. Let's cruise! :rolleyes:

Now for me, flying out of SF, I can fly to any east coast port (NY to FLL) considerably cheaper than flying into Houston and it's half the distance. I did a little research and found that Houston is the third most expensive airport in America to fly into. FACT. The reason is not explained. If you want to cruise the Caribbean, save the time and the extra $100+ for airport transfer to the port, why not just go to Florida where the weather is more likely to be pleasant.