Questions for Experienced Navigator Guests

TV Dad

...Not certain what "laid down" means and not sure how some website thought she could be launched as a ship when she was still a hull in 1991...

TC, in shipbuilding terms. "Laid Down" means when the keel was laid. That, as stated, was 1988 in Leningrad. In this case, "launched" means the hull was floated out, again in Leningrad in 1991.

As you reported, she was then incomplete and idle until towed to Genoa for completion, then delivered in 1999.

From the reports, I'm not certain when the propulsion system and other below decks stuff was installed. From the annoying "thrum" I've noted from the aft Terrace, even while anchored, I suspect at least part of it was built in Russia. That loud, penetrating "thrum", like an exhaust note, was more annoying to my eardrums than any vibration; it chased me off the Terrace before my lunch was complete.

I sailed Navigator on Deck 7 midship, just forward of the elevators, and noted no vibration or noise. There was no brown water, ever (this was in 2010). I felt the vibration in the theater, but didn't think it was obnoxious. This was immediately after the 2010 drydock when the "duck tail" (pictured below, from the side) was added to the stern in an attempt to reduce the vibration; partly successful.

124522.jpg

Edited by hondorner

Don, thanks so much for the explanation and photo. Seeing the duck tail is so much easier than trying to explain it (which is why I didn't mention the multi million dollar fix that PCH did on the Navigator in 2010).

The information on the Navigator is apparently correct but the information on the Legend is not since, according to Seabourn, she had her maiden voyage in 1988.

Bet you are really looking forward to the world cruise next year. Hope you write a blog (or something for us peons to read):D

P.S. Also wanted to mention that the Navigator was refurbished in 2013 (not late 2012). Franck Galzy (General Manager - usually on the Voyager) showed me pictures of the ship when we were onboard the Voyager in March, 2013. The refurbishment had just been completed.)

Edited by Travelcat2

P.S. Also wanted to mention that the Navigator was refurbished in 2013 (not late 2012). Franck Galzy (General Manager - usually on the Voyager) showed me pictures of the ship when we were onboard the Voyager in March, 2013. The refurbishment had just been completed.)

That's strange, since I know it had the soft goods upgrade and major upgrades to the named suites in late May 2012, since we were on the cruise right before, and saw Navigator "parked" over in North Van. while it was in progress.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

That's strange, since I know it had the soft goods upgrade and major upgrades to the named suites in late May 2012, since we were on the cruise right before, and saw Navigator "parked" over in North Van. while it was in progress.

I suppose I could be more wrong but I'm not sure how. The last time we saw Franck Galzy was actually December, 2012 - not March 2013 (we were on the Mariner in March). Wow - time does fly. So, not only was the Navigator refurbished almost 2 years ago, it is probably due to be done again. It's good that you are able to keep dates straight. So, I've had the flash drive that Franck loaned me for over a year. I'm wondering if he will be surprised when I return it next month.

Thanks for correcting my memory. I've just printed a list of all of our cruises and will keep it handy.

Edited by Travelcat2

I suppose I could be more wrong but I'm not sure how. The last time we saw Franck Galzy was actually December, 2012 - not March 2013 (we were on the Mariner in March). Wow - time does fly. So, not only was the Navigator refurbished almost 2 years ago, it is probably due to be done again. It's good that you are able to keep dates straight. So, I've had the flash drive that Franck loaned me for over a year...

Tje differnce in tecnology in jusy 2 years or sp is incredible. Franck gave is pictures of the 2010 refit, bit they were on a DVD We still have it.:D.

Feb 13 will be our 3rd cruise on Regent. It has been awhile since our last Regent cruise. Random question: will we see any dark chocolate?? We both love dark ch & that can be a perfect dessert at the end of dinner.

We have been on the Navigator one other time & know about the vibration & small area/crowded at certain times. Still we are so looking forward to some warm weather & good service.

Thanks. ;)

• 1 month later...

My husband and I have over 120 days on Seabourn and it is my preferred cruise line. However we just booked our winter caribbean 2015 cruise on the Regent Navigator instead of on the Legend. Why?

For us, the main attraction in the caribbean are the beaches and great weather. With a few exceptions (Prickly Pear and Anguilla) when cruising Seabourn, you must pay much more for an excursion to get you to a beach or risk taking a local taxi (something that I am not comfortable with as I am always afraid that the taxis will not be available to get back to the ship). While on Regent I noticed that there are some sort of beach and or snorkeling excursions included at every stop.

Also, the last time we cruised on one of the smaller Seabourn yachts (The Spirit) it was in the caribbean just before the sale to Windstar was announced. We did have an excellent cruise but there were plumbing problems and the equipment we prefer to use in the gym out of service. She was a little tired.

As far as the vibration goes, I feel that motion in the ocean is a part of cruising. That's what the little pills are for, and if mixed with a true caribbean rum punch you will enjoy everything and everyone around you;)