Zuiderdam Panama Canal Sunfarer 11 day cruise

noblepa

My DW and I are seriously considering booking the 10/27/2014 sailing of the Zuiderdam Panama Canal cruise. DW is particularly interested, as 2014 is the 100th anniversary of the canal's opening.

Anyway, I called HAL directly and was given a quote for a VC category cabin. We've sailed the Z before, so I'm familiar with the Vx categories.

I also solicited quotes from online TA's via the site that allows one to request competing quotes (I hope this doesn't violate the board's rule against naming TA's).

Several TA's submitted quotes that seriously undercut HAL's quote. All claim to include all port texes, etc.

I thought that HAL, like most other lines, had instituted a policy of not allowing TA's to discount the basic fare. TA's are allowed to offer free excursions, OBC, etc. but I thought the room rate was the room rate.

So, my question is twofold. Has anyone done this cruise and care to comment?

Secondly, can these discount fares be legit?

Thanks,

I can only speak to my own experience with my recent booking. I booked directly on the HAL website but I kept searching and wound up booking with "a big box store" and received the same price but an additional 685 in obc...Sold! My advice would be to make sure you are getting the exact same room for a lower price...I would run a quote requesting the same room number to be sure...

We have done the canal 2x the first was a 10 day and the second was 15 days...HEAVEN. My only other advice would be to recognize that ports in places like Costa Rica and Guatemala will require excursions to truly see the country....prepare for long days but so worth it....the ports themselves offer nothing and really are not indicative of daily living for most folks.

3 Star Mariner on HAL

I took that cruise in December a few years ago and enjoyed it a great deal---except it was hot! I would think October would be even hotter, but if you can stand that, the cruise is great.

I would even like to do it, or a full transit, again.

My understanding about pricing, and it's only an "understanding" is that a TA can charge less than HAL, but can't advertise less.

Not knowing what agencies gave you pricing (no, I am NOT asking!), I couldn't advise if they are good or not.

We have sailed the PC previously on Princess, and have an upcoming PC cruise on the Zuiderdam in April. Needless to say, we like the Panama Canal itineraries very much.

As to pricing, I am not an expert, but I suspect you are being quoted group prices. They are legit. We've used the same site you are using. My only advice is to be sure you do a little research on the TA's that are submitting bids. I usually google the names, just to be sure there are no bad reviews or comments about the TA.

Enjoy your cruise!

To the OP - You say you are familiar with V's on HAL ... but are you aware that this spring all HAL ships are redoing many of the current categories? Make sure your TA's are using deck plans of what will be the new categories when you sail in October. FYI - We did this cruise in 2010 and are doing it again in a few weeks. Your DH will love it.

To the OP - You say you are familiar with V's on HAL ... but are you aware that this spring all HAL ships are redoing many of the current categories? Make sure your TA's are using deck plans of what will be the new categories when you sail in October. FYI - We did this cruise in 2010 and are doing it again in a few weeks. Your DH will love it.

Good point. I almost made that mistake myself, when researching the cruise on HAL's website. I'll double check with the TA. The categories/rooms change on May 10 for the Z.

Has anyone been in the aft-facing VB cabins on the Z on decks 5-7? We had such a cabin on the MSC Orchestra. While the cabin was great, there was quite a bit of thruster noise when docking early in the morning while were trying to sleep.