Puerto Chiapas

condomando

Puerto Chiapas is a very nice port area that has been developed by the community to offer a pleasant cruise ship stop, considering it it otherwise located pretty far from the nearest town. The port has a small central shopping area, a restaurant, and even a pool. The locals are very nice. Busses will be waiting to shuttle you to the nearest town if you wish. That is about 15 miles I believe. Not a lot in Puerto Chiapas, but what they do offer is very nice. I admire their efforts.

We did the ship excursion, Chiapas Through The Ages. There was a very nice if small museum in the town, the guide then took us to the Town Hall to see the stained glass and one other stop to see some dancers (there were souvenir vendors along the walk to this stop). Then we went to the pre-Mayan ruins which are not much compared to the pyramids elsewhere in Mexico, but since I haven't been there, I was not disappointed as some reviewers have been!

Having an existing interest in early civilizations might be necessary to fully enjoy this tour!

We got back to port too late for the hourly dancers in the giant "palapa" there, but enjoyed $1 beer and some GREAT additional souvenir shopping -- handcrafted jewelry was my big expenditure. There was a small room or section where by the info center where you could purchase internet (wifi?) but we passed.

It was very hot and muggy in December. There were large fans near all the doors in front of which gave a bit of relief while drinking the cold beers. We did go back on board the ship about an hour early -- just too sapped by the humidity.

We shopped at the big thatch hut right on the dock...didn't go into town at all. A couple in the cabin next to us went into town, and felt uneasy. We enjoyed the shopping very much, and the vendors/people were very nice.

I would have enjoyed the tour that Crystal took, but my wife nixed that idea in the bud.

We docked in Oct. 2013, and it was hot and muggy then also...be prepared.;)