A cheap and effective NORO prevention ideas

djjoe

Hand sanitizer will help to keep your hands clean but you you will need anti viral sanitizer to combat a virus. Just wonder why the ships don't put one in each stateroom.

Why doesn't someone develop an anti viral sanitizer? That is the real question.

Right now is is no such thing as a truly effective anti viral sanitizer; so the ships take the obvious step: they furnish each stateroom with soap and running water.

Better to wonder why more passengers don't use soap and running water more frequently.

Well, there goes my hopes of making a fortune by patenting the idea ;)

Does it work well? Just looking at the instructions, and it appears to include the menus as well (http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/iCONCIERGE_ver5.pdf), and allows you to make reservations/bookings for dinner/shows/etc.

I may have not read far enough down, but it appears that the app is not available on all ships - just two: Epic and Breakaway. Right?

Cole

Because medically there is no treatment for viral infections. Antibiotics are only for bacterial infections. Sanitizers will only kill bacteria. Viruses can't be killed, only prevented from rampant spreading by good hygiene. You always carry viruses in your body, it is only a question of whether they get exacerbated, e.g. chicken pox and shingles.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

ok....Dr Carole here (ok, not really a MD, but I stayed in a Holiday Inn once upon a time :p)

The body is a wonderful thing....it tries to heal itself given the chance. Our white blood cells attack foreign bodies.....like PacMac, but sometimes a virus will reproduce faster than our white blood cells can attack them...and we get sick.

Knowing that a virus can only live and reproduce in a very narrow temperature range (which happens to be right around 98.6).....AND knowing that the fastest way to change the temperature of anything is immersion in water (who amongst us hasn't put wine in a bucket of ice and water??).....my solution to the virus issue is to immerse myself in warm/hot water!! :eek:

I do know that most cruise ships do not have tubs in the cabins and I do know that some folk avoid the hot tubs.....BUT if everyone one of us took a hot bath every night before going on our cruise, we'd cook out the germs and start our cruise nicely relaxed!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!! :D:D:D

Right now is is no such thing as a truly effective anti viral sanitizer; so the ships take the obvious step: they furnish each stateroom with soap and running water.

Better to wonder why more passengers don't use soap and running water more frequently.

They do make an anti viral sanitiser, it comes in a small foam dispenser, we get it from Boots Chemist in England so would presume the US chemists also stock them. The other stuff is fine to kill bacteria but as the name suggests Norovirus is a viral infection. It may be of interest to know that noro is not just a cruise ship thing, a lot of hotels and restaurants get it but cruise ships MUST report it. Thats why it looks like a cruise ship thing.

Actually there are anti-viral sanitizers, however they are not available to the public at large and primarily used by first responders. After responding to an accident victim and ending up with her blood on my leg (I was wearing gloves), the firemen cleaned me up with a antibacterial and virucide (sp?) just in case.

Vets offices use them as well, as there are so many viruses that affect animals--particularly parvovirus.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Actually there are anti-viral sanitizers, however they are not available to the public at large and primarily used by first responders. After responding to an accident victim and ending up with her blood on my leg (I was wearing gloves), the firemen cleaned me up with a antibacterial and virucide (sp?) just in case.

Vets offices use them as well, as there are so many viruses that affect animals--particularly parvovirus.

Go to the chemist you can get them they are in a small pocket size container, foam not gel.

Clorox has a Noro preventive product, Hydogen Peroxide wipes and spray.

Yes there are "anti viral sanitizers" but not yet as effective as hand washing. If you have reliable info to the contrary, please cite source.

Yes there are "anti viral sanitizers" but not yet as effective as hand washing. If you have reliable info to the contrary, please cite source.

I didn't say they were. I've always advocated hand washing as the best solution. However when you've been on the side of the highway performing cervical stabilization on someone who was ejected during a rollover that left half of their brains hanging out of their head, there usually isn't a sink a few feet away. :rolleyes:

We do have anti-viral sanitizers and we use them every day on just about every ship. The 2 most popular ones are made in Canada, and both contain Activated Hydrogen Peroxide as the active ingredient. We spray, fog, and wipe these products all over the ship, hoping to kill all the virus spores deposited by unclean people.

Some people call these chemicals non-Chlorine Bleach. They are sold under the brand names Virox and Virkon.

Variations on these chemicals are sold in a weaker version in North America as "Oxy-Clean".

These products are:

1. Extremely expensive.

2. Damaging to skin, eyes, and lungs.

3. Damaging to many hard surfaces.

4. Damaging to many soft surfaces.

5. Responsible for the white film you see on many surfaces.

6. Responsible for the urine smells you notice in many toilets (Virox).

7. Responsible for the vomit odors you sometimes smell in public areas (Virkon).

Considering the risks and damage associated with these chemicals, it would be far safer, less costly, and seemingly simpler to teach adults from North America to wash their hands properly after using the toilet.

Edited by BruceMuzz

I keep Purell in my purse and use it at the table at any restaurant on land and at sea.

Avoid buffets is my secret. We often order room service during flu season and dine on our balcony. We prefer having lunch in the dining room when it is not crowded and ask for a table for two.

I took a cruise a few years ago and became ill the day I boarded. I spent three days in my cabin to avoid spreading germs. Fortunately we had a nice balcony.

My SIL came home from a west coast business trip and brought the H1N1 swine flu home with him a couple weeks ago. Second year catching the flu after getting flu shot.Germs r everywhere this time of year. Gotta b careful.

Never caught the norovirus in 20 years of cruising. RC needs to add hand sanitizing machines at every part of the ship like NCL and Carnival.

Edited by Leafpeeper

A cheap and effective NORO preventive idea:

Take a 16 inch piece of string.

Tie one end to your left thumb. Then tie the other end to your right thumb.

So, when your right hand try's to touch your face, your left hand will pull it back down. :D

Bob