1st cruise: Inside room on Oasis or a balcony room on Freedom

harrismo

Both are nearly the same price. Which would you pick?

If it matters, Freedom goes to the Eastern Caribbean and Oasis goes Western -but both itineraries have things we're interested in trying. I just don't know if the newer ship is worth sacrificing the view?

Welcome to Cruises and Cruise Critic!!

I've yet to set foot on Oasis (will be soon!!) but for a first cruise I would definitely opt for Freedom and that balcony! It may spoil you for future cruises but you'll have had the experience! Pics from the western itinerary on Freedom in my blog in my sig below. Oasis is as much if not more for the ship experience from what I've read.....

A lot of it depends on YOU.

We've done inside rooms, oceanview rooms, and balconies. We've had a great time with all 3.

When we paid more for the balcony, so we actually found ourselves feeling obligated to get more use out of it. We said "well, we paid for this beautiful balcony and we need to use it!"

That's not the type of people we are. You have to ask yourself (I know as a first-time cruiser you don't know what type of cruiser you are) what type of person you are. Are you the type to spend a lazy morning reading on a balcony? Are you the type who likes to order room service and eat outdoors? Do you want to attempt to sun yourself on your private balcony?

Your balcony will likely be smaller than you think it will be. It will likely be noisier (except at sea days when you can get some good quiet time) than you think it will be.

My wife and I like to DO STUFF. We visit the ports on port days (or in Nassau... where we've been tons of times... we hang out at the pool) and we walk the track and go to shows and we nap in the solarium and wander around. We don't like to be in the room, so a balcony isn't a big deal.

If you like to be in the room (speaking generally, as I assume you have been on a vacation where you at least stayed in a hotel) then get the balcony.

If you like to go and do stuff, get the inside room.

Take into consideration if this is your first cruise you probably won't be spending that much time in your cabin. You are going to want to explorer the ship. Both are great ships! The freedom is less overwhelming than the oasis but the oasis is a great way to start off! I wouldn't worry so much about the cabin and really make your decision based on which ship and itinerary appeals to you more. Have fun!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Both are nearly the same price. Which would you pick?

If it matters, Freedom goes to the Eastern Caribbean and Oasis goes Western -but both itineraries have things we're interested in trying. I just don't know if the newer ship is worth sacrificing the view?

If this will be the only cruise that you will go on in a while, I would pick the balcony. Everyone should try a balcony once in their lives.

If you plan to be an active cruiser, do the Oasis to experience the ship and then pick a balcony on a future cruise.

Just my opinion.

Edited by comxkid

If the only thing keeping you from going on the Oasis is choosing between a balcony or an inside cabin....GET THE INSIDE.....

You have the rest of your life to "earn" lol...a balcony.

The OASIS IS AMAZING...AMAZING...AMAZING. Nothing like it in the world (well, except the Allure...lol)

You will not regret your decision for a minute. OMG......best ship ever. How much time does one actually spend in their cabin anyway?

OASIS OASIS OASIS :D:D:D:

I would choose the balcony on the Freedom. Not that I don't love the Oasis, because I do, but I also love the Freedom class ships. IMHO the differences between the two ships would be very minimal, especially to a first time cruiser. For me I really like to have balconies whenever I can afford one so that would be the tie breaker based on what you have said in your original post.

Others say you don't spend much time in your cabin so why do you need a balcony. I can agree that I don't have to get a balcony but do prefer it just so I can sit out there and relax early morning, coming or going from ports, the early evening while getting ready for dinner or just late night as a romantic setting for the wife and I. So, yes, you don't spend much time out there but the opportunities that you will have to use it will still be plentiful and could be a very memorable part of your cruise experience.

With this being your first cruise, you will love all that the Freedom has to offer and will then be able to take the step up to Oasis for one of your next cruises.

It's just not as easy to go he other way in classes. We took a family member on the Oasis in October, her first cruise, and now she won't even look at any other class of ship, even though I have tried to tell how similiar Freedom is, at least for the things we enjoyed doing. Oh well, her loss :p

Hahaha I'm no closer to deciding now than I was, you all have echoed all the thoughts swimming in my head but thank you for weighing in!

A little background, for the last 15 years our favorite vacation destination has been Disney World. We love that it's beautiful, clean, has great service and interesting food at Epcot and in the resort restaurants but we've been so many times we are actually bored of the parks (and now this year the kids are grown and it's just the 2 of us so we're looking for a new vacation destination). I'm hoping cruising will fit the bill and give us new, delicious meals to try every night with the added bonus of waking up with a new port city to explore instead of the theme parks.

Which ship has the best options for a very light drinking, non gambling, non shopping, couple with bad backs who most likely won't be interested in doing the rock wall or flow rider. Boy we sound fun, right? Lol. However, we will enjoy good food, good comedians, and probably a well done evening show, plus exploring at the ports.

I will recommend an option that no one else has. Go on the Oasis but book a Central Park view cabin. We did recently and loved it. Get a window and window seat with view into park area, at the cost of an interior cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We certainly have a lot to think about! I am reading reviews from both ships now to help us decide. Part of me wants to just go all out and do Oasis, but another part of me wants to start a little smaller on Freedom and learn the ropes first.

Plus I just now found a cruise on the Navigator out of Galveston for a little bit less and Galveston is within driving distance ...so this may be a game changer.

If you are interested in shows... excellent... top notch shows... every evening... then pick the Oasis. On our Allure cruise we figured out that if we had gone to Vegas and paid to see the shows it would have been 500$ more than we spent on the entire cruise. I've sailed in everything from the Royal Suite to an inside... and honestly, on the Oasis you won't spend much time in your cabin. Want to watch the waves go by... there are many places to 'park' yourself. Feel like walking in a park... you can do that too. But Entertainment wise you can't beat the Oasis. It is a totally different experience than the Freedom. But, it is easier to get a deal on the Freedom or Enchantment in the future... but if you find a good price on the Oasis... I'd go for that. Oh... and whatever you decide go by and watch the FlowRider and Rock Climbers... they are always good for a bit of entertainment!

A lot of it depends on YOU....

Agreed, this is a highly personal decision and sometimes I think asking for opinions on this board is like a crap shoot, really... of course everyone has an opinion and you will hear about it! LOL. For a first cruise, personally, I would not choose Oasis. In my opinion, it is simply too big. (I know, I know - others feel differently and that's OK! We're allowed to give our views! :p )

I would pick the balcony on Freedom any day over an inside cabin. I was on her last year and she is a beautiful ship and plenty big enough. There's nothing like sitting on your balcony watching the sea go by.

Oh my goodness, so agree with you. Balcony any day. I will never sail in an inside cabin again, except if the cruise was free, like a gift or something... sorry, but an inside for us is not what we want. We would save up a little longer to have a balcony cabin. :)

A lot of it depends on YOU.

We've done inside rooms, oceanview rooms, and balconies. We've had a great time with all 3.

When we paid more for the balcony, so we actually found ourselves feeling obligated to get more use out of it. We said "well, we paid for this beautiful balcony and we need to use it!"

That's not the type of people we are. You have to ask yourself (I know as a first-time cruiser you don't know what type of cruiser you are) what type of person you are. Are you the type to spend a lazy morning reading on a balcony? Are you the type who likes to order room service and eat outdoors? Do you want to attempt to sun yourself on your private balcony?

Your balcony will likely be smaller than you think it will be. It will likely be noisier (except at sea days when you can get some good quiet time) than you think it will be.

My wife and I like to DO STUFF. We visit the ports on port days (or in Nassau... where we've been tons of times... we hang out at the pool) and we walk the track and go to shows and we nap in the solarium and wander around. We don't like to be in the room, so a balcony isn't a big deal.

If you like to be in the room (speaking generally, as I assume you have been on a vacation where you at least stayed in a hotel) then get the balcony.

If you like to go and do stuff, get the inside room.

Great advice here for you OP. Hope you have a fantastic time whichever option you choose! Please let us know what you decide.

To this poster, I just wanted to say WOW to your number of cruises! I'm totally jealous! You must have seen some fabulous sights on all these trips.

We certainly have a lot to think about! I am reading reviews from both ships now to help us decide. Part of me wants to just go all out and do Oasis, but another part of me wants to start a little smaller on Freedom and learn the ropes first.

Plus I just now found a cruise on the Navigator out of Galveston for a little bit less and Galveston is within driving distance ...so this may be a game changer.

Opps... just saw this post... I'd go for the Navigator out of Galveston -- driving distance is a HUGE plus!! Especially if you are looking at your first cruise... it gives you a little savings you can use for your next cruise... and the re-furbished Navigator is going to be beautiful. She's always been a fine lady and a wonderful ship to cruise on... and being able to drive to the port is a definite PLUS!!

I would do the Navigator, she has just been through revitalization and is almost identical to the Freedom just a smidgen smaller.

I personally do not like inside cabins but that's just our preference.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Opps... just saw this post... I'd go for the Navigator out of Galveston -- driving distance is a HUGE plus!! Especially if you are looking at your first cruise... it gives you a little savings you can use for your next cruise... and the re-furbished Navigator is going to be beautiful. She's always been a fine lady and a wonderful ship to cruise on... and being able to drive to the port is a definite PLUS!!

I agree. Now that you have added this option along with the types of things you like to do and assuming the Navigator can save significant money (probably from the cruise fare and the travel savings) then I would recommed the Navigator.

Without any prior cruise experience, my opionion is that you will love the Navigator. And, assuming cruising is for you, you will most likely get hooked on cruising. Then, you can choose to work your way through the different classes of ships to do the Freedom and Oasis class.

You can then come back to cruise critic and be able to understand a lot more of what people are talking about and ask some specific questions that will help determine what kind of cruiser you are and which cruise you should do next :D

In the event you find out that cruising is not for you then at least you would save some significant money in the process.

But still do the balcony. You have earned some alone time and just sitting out there watching the ocean go by or checking out sail aways from ports in the comfort of your own quarters can't be beat....if you like that sort of thing :p

I'd start out on a smaller ship so you don't get overwhelmed with the 'trying to do & see it all ' feeling.

We have been on Explorer which is the same size as the Navigator, it's really almost exactly like the Freedom except no Flow rider which you weren't interested in anyway. Since it's your first cruise you may want to try that one to figure out if cruising is for you. Also seriously having the ease of driving to port is awesome!!! First no luggage restrictions & second no panic on missing flights.

Thank you all, I think you sold me on The Navigator and sailing from Galveston. For a ship of this size will I need to reserve any meals or shows before we sail or do I wait until we board?

I think you've made a great choice... :) I know on the Freedom and the Liberty all we pre-booked was the ice show. But, once you have your cruise booked you can check on the My Cruise page and see what is offered. We are not much for the special restaurants. Don't get me wrong... we've eaten at them... we enjoy the dining room and usually ask for a large table and enjoy other cruisers company. But if you know you want to try one... then make a reservation before boarding. You can get reservations on board, but may not be able to get the time you want!

I know you are going to have the best time!!! Welcome to the beginning of a beautiful obsession!!

Thank you all for sharing your expertise and advice, I think you sold me on The Navigator and sailing from Galveston. Roatan, Belize and Cozumel here we come!

I think you did the right thing. I hope it will be the first of many cruises for you. You really can't overestimate how nice it is to have any easy trip to the port/port city, I wish we had some better options out West.

We have been on Explorer which is the same size as the Navigator, it's really almost exactly like the Freedom except no Flow rider which you weren't interested in anyway.

Navigator had a Flowrider added when she was revitalized.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Thank you all for sharing your expertise and advice, I think you sold me on The Navigator and sailing from Galveston. Roatan, Belize and Cozumel here we come!

Home port close to home. Easier on the wallet. Revitalized ship. Perfect representation of one of RCCL's larger ships. And a balcony.

Win. Win. Win. Win. Win.

Good choice. Enjoy.