1st cruise: Inside room on Oasis or a balcony room on Freedom

harrismo

First comes Freedom, then comes Oasis.

You'll be hooked. You'll come home and

put a security deposit down on Oasis for

next year. Book a year out, make payments

and by the time that cruise rolls around,

your balcony or park view area will be paid for.

We certainly have a lot to think about! I am reading reviews from both ships now to help us decide. Part of me wants to just go all out and do Oasis, but another part of me wants to start a little smaller on Freedom and learn the ropes first.

Plus I just now found a cruise on the Navigator out of Galveston for a little bit less and Galveston is within driving distance ...so this may be a game changer.

Galveston....FOG!

Majesty of the Seas-2008

Caribbean Princess-2008

Carnival Liberty-2013/2014

Thank you all for sharing your expertise and advice, I think you sold me on The Navigator and sailing from Galveston. Roatan, Belize and Cozumel here we come!

When are you traveling on the Navigator? We were originally going to drive from Olathe, KS to Galveston in March to be on the March 16 sailing, but recently switched to Allure of the Seas after getting a really good deal on two Central Park Balconies and turning in airfare points.

You will enjoy the Navigator, such a beautiful class of ship.

@mon1jan1

I haven't booked it yet - we just settled on the idea TODAY- but I priced it for the June 1-8th sailing. Before I book I'm hoping to find a Travel Agent that can sweeten the deal or beat the advertised price.

Both are nearly the same price. Which would you pick?

If it matters, Freedom goes to the Eastern Caribbean and Oasis goes Western -but both itineraries have things we're interested in trying. I just don't know if the newer ship is worth sacrificing the view?

Oasis is the destination.

• 2 months later...

Really tough choice, the way I see it.

I've travelled thrice in inside staterooms (mostly Royal Caribbean) before having the awesome opportunity to try a balcony at a very reasonable price on Celebrity.

Even though we are amongst the lot that uses the stateroom to basically sleep and shower in, a balcony stateroom spoils you. The outstanding views on sea days from the comfort of your room is something that can only be described as 100 golden retriever puppies feeding you the most amazing chocolate ice cream that was hand made by 25 of the most gorgeous Victoria's Secret models. Hmmmm...

Anyway, back to the topic, a balcony stateroom on the Freedom is what I'd go with. Moving to a smaller ship after experiencing a big one is really more difficult than moving to an inside room after experiencing a Balcony.

The Oasis also comes up with deals and with many more balconies than the Freedom (Oasis has Central Park balcony staterooms, Boardwalk Balcony staterooms), you may be able to yet get a good deal at a later date.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Nick

I started in an inner @ Freedom, Oasis was not out yet. Being on such a big one made me wow all day. So I already felt that I have seen the best.

Being my first cruise we most of the day were out.

It was mainly a money thing that time too.

Once I have been on a balcony, I did not want anything less. We find it very nice to stand out on the balcony every time we are in the room. My mom loves to get up very early, sit/lie on the balcony and see the sun rise while the land is getting bigger and bigger ... Champaign (Sitting already in the room) on the balcony when you first enter the room: unbeatable.

Same for the ship. Once I was on Oasis, I did not do Freedom class anymore. Although e.g. I did Brilliance twice meanwhile, as she had interesting routes. The size of Brilliance is nice and cosy too.

So to answer your question:

Start with Freedom to keep "room" for Oasis...

Inner/Balcony: If you are not "afraid" to stay inside (like my mom who read Titanic when being young) ... and if it is a budget question: go inside.

If the price difference is not too big or you don't go too often: Balcony.

I try to pick my cruise dates by price. So select the ship(s) and sort by price.

Hope this helped...

Edited by ChristianDecker

Thank you all for sharing your expertise and advice, I think you sold me on The Navigator and sailing from Galveston. Roatan, Belize and Cozumel here we come!

Sounds great. I would go for an E2 balcony on "the hump." E2s are a good price, and that location is really nice.

I think that's a great choice. I prefer Navigator and Freedom class to Oasis class anyway, as the experience is more of the Royal Caribbean we have come to love.

If it matters, Freedom goes to the Eastern Caribbean and Oasis goes Western -but both itineraries have things we're interested in trying. I just don't know if the newer ship is worth sacrificing the view?

Since this is your first cruise, I would pick the balcony on Freedom. Western Caribbean or Eastern Caribbean -- the ports will both be fun and you will have plenty of excursions to choose from on either itinerary.

You will learn from this experience if you enjoy sitting on the balcony relaxing reading a book, or just looking at the sunrise (in your bathrobe). It isn't a matter of 'how much' time you spend on the balcony, as much as 'do you enjoy the time you spend sitting on the balcony'. I enjoy the early morning or late in the afternoon, before I dress for dinner and the few minutes I can catch on the balcony, watching the horizon -- it is magical and relaxing, for me.

We order a light breakfast via room service, and enjoy our coffee and ????? sitting on the balcony.

If you find that a balcony isn't something to you enjoy, for your next cruise you will know, and there will be another opportunity to go on Oasis in the future.

Both ships have tons of things to do. We have cruised on Liberty (in the Freedom class) and many other of the other classes, and now on our 15th cruise will be going on Oasis.

I see it is your first cruise. I was deciding between the Allure and the FOS 3 years ago as our first family cruise too. We chose a boardwalk balcony on the Allure and loved that cruise. It was the Eastern route.

Just a couple weeks ago we went on the FOS inside cabin western route. We loved the Western route more than the Eastern route. The ship itself I know is popular with everyone didn't wow me like the Allure. NOTHING compares to the Allure/Oasis and we really wished we would have chosen to go back on the Allure or on the Oasis since our cruises had been 3 years apart. As you can see we aren't frequent cruisers. The next cruise will be on a brand new amenities loaded ship again.

Don't fret on the cabin. Really we were never in it. We spent a lot of time lounging on the deck. Didn't miss the balcony at all!

Do the inside cabin on the Oasis!

I wouldn't sail in less then a balcony but ymmv.

Hey Poncho,

I had to laugh when you posted that you had been on 2,847 cruises. If each cruise was only 3 nights then it would mean 8,541 nights which means over 20 years at sea. Even if you were in the Navy you would have not spent that many years actually at sea! You also referred to yourself as a RHENIUM level cruiser; I assume that you must be 75 years old which is the atomic number for RHENIUM. LOL :):)

[quote name='Roce48']Hey Poncho,

I had to laugh when you posted that you had been on 2,847 cruises. If each cruise was only 3 nights then it would mean 8,541 nights which means over 20 years at sea. Even if you were in the Navy you would have not spent that many years actually at sea! You also referred to yourself as a RHENIUM level cruiser; I assume that you must be 75 years old which is the atomic number for RHENIUM. LOL :):)[/quote]

All true! I even get to take the boat out for a spin every cruise I go on!

If you ever see the shots of the Allure getting a ticket from the fuzz for being double-parked in FLL... you know who to blame. I was just running in for a latte! I was going to be right back!

Just got off the 4/20 sailing on the Allure and found it was like sailing in a 17 story building and looking out at water all around. There is absolutely no motion whatsoever, which for some folks is a win-win situation, but we will never sail on another super large ship like this again. Give me a little motion so I know I'm on a cruise! However, that said, this ship had unbelievable shows and top notch food in the main dining room. It was so good we never even wanted to try a specialty restaurant, and this coming from a Celebrity cruise fan too, as I always thought RCL couldn't compete, but they can! Trish

[quote name='twopats'][COLOR=red][B]Just got off the 4/20 sailing[/B][/COLOR] on the Allure and found it was like sailing in a 17 story building and looking out at water all around. There is absolutely no motion whatsoever, which for some folks is a win-win situation, but we will never sail on another super large ship like this again. Give me a little motion so I know I'm on a cruise! However, that said, this ship had unbelievable shows and top notch food in the main dining room. It was so good we never even wanted to try a specialty restaurant, and this coming from a Celebrity cruise fan too, as I always thought RCL couldn't compete, but they can! Trish[/quote]

[B][COLOR=darkorchid]I didn't know RCI had those kind of sailings![/COLOR][/B] :eek::eek: :rolleyes: :cool:

[quote name='poncho1973']A lot of it depends on YOU.

We've done inside rooms, oceanview rooms, and balconies. We've had a great time with all 3.

When we paid more for the balcony, so we actually found ourselves feeling obligated to get more use out of it. We said "well, we paid for this beautiful balcony and we need to use it!"

That's not the type of people we are. You have to ask yourself (I know as a first-time cruiser you don't know what type of cruiser you are) what type of person you are. Are you the type to spend a lazy morning reading on a balcony? Are you the type who likes to order room service and eat outdoors? Do you want to attempt to sun yourself on your private balcony?

Your balcony will likely be smaller than you think it will be. It will likely be noisier (except at sea days when you can get some good quiet time) than you think it will be.

My wife and I like to DO STUFF. We visit the ports on port days (or in Nassau... where we've been tons of times... we hang out at the pool) and we walk the track and go to shows and we nap in the solarium and wander around. We don't like to be in the room, so a balcony isn't a big deal.

If you like to be in the room (speaking generally, as I assume you have been on a vacation where you at least stayed in a hotel) then get the balcony.

If you like to go and do stuff, get the inside room.[/quote]

Exactly like us!!!