Odd people above us. WWYD?

Pappion

Okay, I agree. But there is still no assurance that an open balcony is private so there is little to nothing the cruise line can do. Everyone is saying "take the camera", "break the camera", "throw the camera overboard" and those actions would make security take action- against you, maybe even getting you chucked off the ship at the next port.

Have to respectfully disagree with you here. I am sure there are many variations on different laws, but see an example here:

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/cacode/CIV/5/d3/3/s1708.8

Constructive invasion of privacy if using a visual device - like a camera - to see what would otherwise not be publicly viewable. If they had to "send down a camera" to see beyond the OP's feet, then there was an invasion.

Furthermore, if these people had dropped cigarette butts or debris that hit the op's would there be no culpability because the op's had an open space above them and could not expect freedom from physical invasion? If there was mal intent or reckless behavior, those people people should be held responsible for their actions.

For the record, I wasn't suggesting taking the camera to steal it, but to return to security so that the offender could explain their actions to otherwise indifferent ship personnel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Have to respectfully disagree with you here. I am sure there are many variations on different laws, but see an example here:

Constructive invasion of privacy if using a visual device - like a camera - to see what would otherwise not be publicly viewable. If they had to "send down a camera" to see beyond the OP's feet, then there was an invasion.

For the record, I wasn't suggesting taking the camera to steal it, but to return to security so that the offender could explain their actions to otherwise indifferent ship personnel.

You do realize that the ship is in the middle of the ocean...right? And not all "laws" that are U.S. based or based anywhere else applies necessarily while on board?

But seriously, if someone stuck a camera purposely toward me on my balcony, the last thing I would be thinking is what law are they breaking. My first thought would be "how rude" or "how dare you".

Edited by che5904

I believe I would have grabbed an appropriate item and claimed to have been practicing my baseball swing, had not noticed a camera hanging around. Don't believe there are any rules against getting a head start on spring training.

I believe I would have grabbed an appropriate item and claimed to have been practicing my baseball swing, had not noticed a camera hanging around. Don't believe there are any rules against getting a head start on spring training.

:D :D probably not

Furthermore, if these people had dropped cigarette butts or debris that hit the op's would there be no culpability because the op's had an open space above them and could not expect freedom from physical invasion? If there was mal intent or reckless behavior, those people people should be held responsible for their actions.

In international waters I am sure that it is maritime law that applies, but be that as it may the balconies afford no privacy (especially the aft ones that are terraced and viewable at least in part from above). I read on here all of the time about things being dropped, thrown or blown onto balconies, again especially the aft ones. Proving that someone is doing it with mal intent? Doubtful. And yes, you could take the camera and turn it into security but that is still theft, although security probably wouldn't push the issue provided that you turned it in as soon as you took it.

Okay, I agree. But there is still no assurance that an open balcony is private so there is little to nothing the cruise line can do. Everyone is saying "take the camera", "break the camera", "throw the camera overboard" and those actions would make security take action- against you, maybe even getting you chucked off the ship at the next port.

Let's say, for the sake of arguement that said camera ended up in the ocean (oops). If the original owner then decided to follow-up with security about said camera, seems to me that my response would be "what camera? I have my camera, I'm not missing a camera. Don't know what your talking about or what anybody above alleges..."

Let's say, for the sake of arguement that said camera ended up in the ocean (oops). If the original owner then decided to follow-up with security about said camera, seems to me that my response would be "what camera? I have my camera, I'm not missing a camera. Don't know what your talking about or what anybody above alleges..."

like.png

Ridiculous and immature. While I would have taken the camera or done something to it, that isn't the best approach and you don't want to stoop to their level. I would have definitely contacted the Hotel Director.

Curious - how do you know that they cruisers were older? Wonder what they did with the pictures?

IMO OP was right not to directly confront the camera fools. My guess is that they would not have been agreeable. NCL dropped the ball on this one and security should have become involved.

We've booked an aft penthouse on deck 9. I really did consider deck 10, but the extra balcony space didn't seem worth the other problems we might encounter.

IMO OP was right not to directly confront the camera fools. My guess is that they would not have been agreeable. NCL dropped the ball on this one and security should have become involved.

We've booked an aft penthouse on deck 9. I really did consider deck 10, but the extra balcony space didn't seem worth the other problems we might encounter.

I agree as far as the camera incident goes, but I would probably would have taken it further immediately. I think OP showed great restraint with the ODD couple.

I'm sure you'll be fine on deck 9, the few sq.ft. will mean nothing since you'll still have the amazing view.

Enjoy your cruise.

I'm sure you would be safe. I can't imagine this couple would be on your sailing as well. And truthfully, this is the first time I've ever read this bizarre a story from another passenger's actions.

I can't sleep worth a darn so if I had actually fallen asleep and was woken up by these idiots I surely would have gotten back at them somehow!

That darn camera keeps falling into the ocean....easy thing to happen when you're at the stern of the ship...............just sayin'... :p :eek:

You have great restraint

I am surprised NCL security was so aloof...

Possibly grab the camera and show security the photos taken with the creeps camera?

Have your camera ready to gather evidence?

I would write corporate - especially mention Customer Service treatment

Edited by SMerritt

You have great restraint

I am surprised NCL security was so aloof...

Possibly grab the camera and show security the photos taken with the creeps camera?

Have your camera ready to gather evidence?

I would write corporate - especially mention Customer Service treatment

It doesn't even sound like security was notified. The OP stated they went to the "front desk" and nothing was done.

The OP said the first photo was taken while they were sleeping on the balcony, so I don't imagine they had their camera with them to go to bed and probably didn't expect it to happen the following night. So I doubt it was possible to "have your camera ready to gather evidence".

If customer service responded like the OP said, yes they could probably contact corporate but it's not like anything can be done now. Except to get an apology for customer service acting like that.

It doesn't even sound like security was notified. The OP stated they went to the "front desk" and nothing was done.

The OP said the first photo was taken while they were sleeping on the balcony, so I don't imagine they had their camera with them to go to bed and probably didn't expect it to happen the following night. So I doubt it was possible to "have your camera ready to gather evidence".

If customer service responded like the OP said, yes they could probably contact corporate but it's not like anything can be done now. Except to get an apology for customer service acting like that.

2/3 down the OP said that they " flipped them the bird and called security again". " with nothing done"

Edited by Karysa

I'm sure you would be safe. I can't imagine this couple would be on your sailing as well. And truthfully, this is the first time I've ever read this bizarre a story from another passenger's actions.

Not worried about being safe and this is the most bizarre thing I've ever heard. But we might find it annoying to have things coming down from the Great Outdoors and there isn't as much privacy.:)

2/3 down the OP said that they " flipped them the bird and called security again". " with nothing done"

Sorry Karysa, missed that in my reading, I stand corrected although, I'm not sure what the again was, as the OP stated in the first part that they went to the front desk. Not that it really matters a lot since obviously whoever front desk or security didn't appear to take them seriously.

But maybe the front desks laugh was in disbelief because a lot of us on here have used the word bizarre behavior, maybe they couldn't get their head wrapped around such a strange thing happening. :)

Although after the 2nd phone call to wherever, nobody really would know if anyone contacted the guests above since they would either have phone that cabin or paid a visit but would not announce that to the complaining (not meant in a negative way) party. Actually we don't even know if anyone contacted them the first time, because they appear to be complete idiots, that I doubt chastising them would have made much of an impact. Perhaps on the 2nd contact they were threatened to be removed. As I said we really have no idea what transpired on the part of NCL after the complaints. All we know is the reaction of the front desk was inappropriate to the complaint at the time of the OP's visit to them.

Edited by che5904

Sorry Karysa, missed that in my reading, I stand corrected although, I'm not sure what the again was, as the OP stated in the first part that they went to the front desk. Not that it really matters a lot since obviously whoever front desk or security didn't appear to take them seriously.

But maybe the front desks laugh was in disbelief because a lot of us on here have used the word bizarre behavior, maybe they couldn't get their head wrapped around such a strange thing happening. :)

Although after the 2nd phone call to wherever, nobody really would know if anyone contacted the guests above since they would either have phone that cabin or paid a visit but would not announce that to the complaining (not meant in a negative way) party. Actually we don't even know if anyone contacted them the first time, because they appear to be complete idiots, that I doubt chastising them would have made much of an impact. Perhaps on the 2nd contact they were threatened to be removed. As I said we really have no idea what transpired on the part of NCL after the complaints. All we know is the reaction of the front desk was inappropriate to the complaint at the time of the OP's visit to them.

Ya if I was the OP I would have marched down to the Front Desk and do the same thing that they did to the creepers!! ( flip them the bird):D

Ya if I was the OP I would have marched down to the Front Desk and do the same thing that they did to the creepers!! ( flip them the bird):D

I really wish I could say that I would be calm enough to make it to the front desk to say or do anything. Unfortunately I probably would have reacted before putting brain in gear. :D

"I am so sorry about your camera"

"I was napping and awoke to find a black object dangling in front of me"

"Startled, I instinctively took a swing at it thinking it was a sea bat attacking me"

"The next thing I knew the camera went flying into the ocean"

"Sorry!"

This!

For all those saying that they would have taken the camera, you do realize that you're in a confined space right? The psycho camera folks don't sound like the type that have ethics, morals, or character. I could totally see them making the entire cruise a living h3ll for you throughout the entire ship. Unfortunately, the one taking the first physical action would be the one in trouble.

Either way, talk about being totally awkward. Wow. I think I would have escalated it up the chain of command when on board though.