Does Johnny Rockets have gluten free food?

bocaraton

Does Johnny Rockets have gluten free and flax free food on Royal Carib. Does anyone know.? Would love to take kids there if so. thanks for all info.

What exactly is their menu. If I just get the kids a soda and French fries, is there a charge..Possibly they cannot eat burgers if they are made with bread crumbs or whatever.

Without the soda package purchase, there is a charge for soda anyplace on the ship. As far as fries only, I have heard or witnessed two different scenarios. One is the printed policy; any dining is a $4.95 charge. The other is a youngster sharing some fries with several adults who are paying to eat. Soda would still be a charge.

I doubt Johnny Rockets uses any filler of any type in their burgers, including bread crumbs. Like any franchise, RCCL would be expected to use the ingredients from the parent company, so you can be assured the Johnny Rockets burger is the Johnny Rockets burger.

The Johnny Rockets burger ingredients include:

Hamburger Patty

USDA inspected 100% fresh ground beef.

You can view the ingredient list here on their website:

http://www.johnnyrockets.com/menu/ingredient-allergen-list.html

To be sure, ask to see the package the burgers came in.

Without the soda package purchase, there is a charge for soda anyplace on the ship. As far as fries only, I have heard or witnessed two different scenarios. One is the printed policy; any dining is a $4.95 charge. The other is a youngster sharing some fries with several adults who are paying to eat. Soda would still be a charge.

I only mentioned fries because we give kids that when there is nothing gluten free and they are miserable. really need to know if burgers are gluten and flax free.

I only mentioned fries because we give kids that when there is nothing gluten free and they are miserable. really need to know if burgers are gluten and flax free.

The Onions Rings & Chicken Tenders have breading and are deep fried as are the fries so cross contamination could be an issue . Menu Link http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/English%20menu.pdf

Edited by xxoocruiser

Just responding to your original question, "If I just get the kids a soda and french fries, is there a charge?"

Probably none of my business, but if you think they will be miserable, why take them?

Just a heads up..... don't expect fries to be necessarily GF unless specifically requested.... cross contamination can take place.

Thanks...maybe we will plan it a day ahead so they will know. Royal Carib is very very cooperative.

Thanks...maybe we will plan it a day ahead so they will know. Royal Carib is very very cooperative.

Knowing and accommodating are two different things. While they might be able to bring over some gluten free rolls, the fries are still cooked with the chicken filets and onion rings that have breading. JRs does not have separate facilities like the main kitchen to do things separately.

Knowing and accommodating are two different things. While they might be able to bring over some gluten free rolls, the fries are still cooked with the chicken filets and onion rings that have breading. JRs does not have separate facilities like the main kitchen to do things separately.

Which is why I gave them the heads up that I was coming.... and similarly in the MDR when ordering. I have a pic somewhere of GF fries!! :D

Which is why I gave them the heads up that I was coming.... and similarly in the MDR when ordering. I have a pic somewhere of GF fries!! :D

Did they bring them from the main kitchen for you? Just curious. Our DGS is profoundly autistic and gluten free. Sometimes I figure what he doesn't know or see won't hurt him.

My GF experience hasn't been for many cruises..... but the one I had on Freedom was outstanding..... I did the 'Behind the Scenes Tour' and saw the GF area for food prep.

IMG_1714.jpg

They prepared lunch for me specifically having been pre-ordered.

IMG_1689.jpg

I was warned about the fries.... I know, for example, that fast food fries aren't necessarily GF as they come coated with something.....

Some people are gluten free by choice, others like me, have Celiac disease and have no choice. Believe me, I would MUCH rather not have to eat gluten free.

I too am Celiac and take offense to that comment too!!! Obviously you are fortunate enough not to have any food allergies, but it's a colossal pain! I have yet to meet anyone who does it "for fun" as a diet....it's a medical necessity for most who do it. Also, compassion is a beautiful thing....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by ldl05

I doubt Johnny Rockets uses any filler of any type in their burgers, including bread crumbs. Like any franchise, RCCL would be expected to use the ingredients from the parent company, so you can be assured the Johnny Rockets burger is the Johnny Rockets burger.

The Johnny Rockets burger ingredients include:

Hamburger Patty

USDA inspected 100% fresh ground beef.

You can view the ingredient list here on their website:

http://www.johnnyrockets.com/menu/ingredient-allergen-list.html

To be sure, ask to see the package the burgers came in.

Just because a label says contains 100% fresh ground beef does not necessarily mean that that is what it contains.

In the U.S. ground beef may contain up to 15% other ingredients yet still be labelled as 100%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_slime

I too am Celiac and take offense to that comment too!!! Obviously you are fortunate enough not to have any food allergies, but it's a colossal pain! I have yet to meet anyone who does it "for fun" as a diet....it's a medical necessity for most who do it. Also, compassion is a beautiful thing....

Actually, there are a LOT of people who follow a gluten-free diet for weight loss and general well-being. My doctor recommended I try the "wheat belly diet" when I said I needed to lose some weight. No way I could do it, but I know a lot of people who do.

when did every other person become gluten free?

This is an interesting question. For unclear reason the rate of true celiac disease has increased about 4-fold over the last 50 years. Far beyond that though is the fad aspect.

Dr. David Katz (director of the Yale prevention research center) has in my opinion put it best:

There is a sizable, but still decidedly minority population that can benefit in terms of feeling better by excluding gluten, entirely or mostly, from their diets. There is a population -- an order of magnitude smaller -- for which it is vital to do so, and potentially even a matter of life and death. For everyone else, going gluten free is at best a fashion statement.

In the U.S. today, celiac disease is far from rare, affecting roughly 1 percent of the population at large. Gluten sensitivity affects 5 to 10 times as many. Celiac disease can be diagnosed by blood tests, biopsies or both -- so you will your clinician's help. The only truly reliable test for gluten sensitivity is a trial elimination of gluten to determine if symptoms wax and wane its intake. You can do this with the help of a nutrition expert, or all on your own.

Prevalent as it is, gluten sensitivity still only affects a minority in the general population -- but gluten preoccupation appears to affect many more. The potential adverse health effects of gluten in those sensitive to it have reverberated in cyberspace, creating the impression that gluten is a bona fide toxin, harmful to all. This is false; gluten is not "bad" for those tolerant of it, any more than peanuts are "bad" for people free of peanut allergy.

Also abounding are home-grown theories about health effects of gluten -- including the argument that going gluten free leads to weight loss. It might, but only because avoiding gluten means avoiding a lot of foods, which in turn tends to mean reducing calorie intake. That lowering calories leads to weight loss is less than an epiphany.

Edited by DrD

I am sure there are lots of folks who are GF for weight loss ...I just haven't met any! As for weight loss, I lost weight before I was diagnosed, and have maintained my weight since, not losing or gaining, and I eat and drink whatever I want (without gluten).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This is an interesting question. For unclear reason the rate of true celiac disease has increased about 4-fold over the last 50 years. Far beyond that though is the fad aspect.

Dr. David Katz (director of the Yale prevention research center) has in my opinion put it best:

There is a sizable, but still decidedly minority population that can benefit in terms of feeling better by excluding gluten, entirely or mostly, from their diets. There is a population -- an order of magnitude smaller -- for which it is vital to do so, and potentially even a matter of life and death. For everyone else, going gluten free is at best a fashion statement.

In the U.S. today, celiac disease is far from rare, affecting roughly 1 percent of the population at large. Gluten sensitivity affects 5 to 10 times as many. Celiac disease can be diagnosed by blood tests, biopsies or both -- so you will your clinician's help. The only truly reliable test for gluten sensitivity is a trial elimination of gluten to determine if symptoms wax and wane its intake. You can do this with the help of a nutrition expert, or all on your own.

Prevalent as it is, gluten sensitivity still only affects a minority in the general population -- but gluten preoccupation appears to affect many more. The potential adverse health effects of gluten in those sensitive to it have reverberated in cyberspace, creating the impression that gluten is a bona fide toxin, harmful to all. This is false; gluten is not "bad" for those tolerant of it, any more than peanuts are "bad" for people free of peanut allergy.

Also abounding are home-grown theories about health effects of gluten -- including the argument that going gluten free leads to weight loss. It might, but only because avoiding gluten means avoiding a lot of foods, which in turn tends to mean reducing calorie intake. That lowering calories leads to weight loss is less than an epiphany.

Thanks Doc..

when I was in school '67 grad. there was no ban on peanut butter in fact the cafeteria had stacks of PB sandwiches at the end of the serving line.

also back then no one was popping Ritalin (or whatever they had back then) and no one seemed the worse for wear. Now my daughter (3rd grade teacher) says it's not usual to have a class with 30 to 40 % of the kids taking it.

did the gene pool become corrupted in the '80 somehow?