Clearing in Toronto

cw2go

I am researching flights into Quebec from Detroit Mi.

Most reasonable rates and arrival times are with United but only allow 1:18 lay-over... Is this long enough to clear customs? We will have carry on only so no need to collect baggage.

Thanks in advance,

Patty

Also depends on time of day and whether or not you have to change terminals in Toronto.

IMHO it's probably not enough time as not only will you need to clear customs but most likely you will need to go through security a second time.

More information (flight details including dates and who you are connecting to (Air Canada/Westjet)) will help but based on my experience I'd probably not risk it.

Taking a different look at this, is flying out of Windsor something that is an option? Porter Airlines (https://flyporter.com/) flies to Quebec City via Toronto Island airport and often has some decent prices. You also would clear customs at the bridge or tunnel which may be more convenient than at Pearson Airport.

Edited by RickT

I don't know the OP's exact travel date, but I'm pretty sure I know what flights she's looking at:

Detroit (DTW) to Toronto (YYZ)

United Airlines, Inc. 8053

Dep: 7:45AM Arr: 8:47AM 1h 2m Canadair Reg. Jet OPERATED BY AIR CANADA EXPRESS - JAZZ

Layover in YYZ 1h 18m

United Airlines, Inc. Toronto (YYZ) to Quebec (YQB)

United Airlines, Inc. 8258

Dep: 10:05AM Arr: 11:45AM 1h 40m De Havilland-Bombardier Dash-8

These are actually Air Canada codeshares. Note that the second flight - the longer one, in fact - is on a Dash-8. A pretty bijou plane to be putting on this flight, to say the least.

The good news is that, if you miss your flight, there are many options between YYZ-YQB. I would probably go for it, but you can't doddle once at YYZ.

Thanks to all of you...

I have not purchased any flight tickets as of yet. I am looking at the layover times in Toronto. I live in Ohio so flying out of Detroit is my norm. I will also look into Toledo flights but more times than not it drops me in DTW...UGH!

I am looking for Sept. Can/NE cruise embarking Quebec and departing in Boston. Planning for either 2014 0r 20156... NCL Dawn

I hate to fly, not scared but find the whole process dreadful! Landed in Barcelona without baggage once, have not had a flight in the past 5 years without delay or issue. This past week I flew from San Juan departed ship at 8:45 am and finally hit my front door 4:10 am the next day...I always attempt non stop flights or schedule with the best of intentions incase of issues so it isn't that I am cutting too tight as with this flight in question. This has made me so OVER FLYING! :(

Yes the flight Twinkenham references is one of several in question...Boston is a non stop flight home. There is also a few options that give Newark a layover and some with 2 hr layover. So once I was looking into the cost and schedules I realized customs will also be another obstacle.

I am also looking at a cruise r/t NYC but it does not include Quebec which I would prefer to see but I can avoid flying by driving.

Any recommendations are welcome,

Patty

I don't know the OP's exact travel date, but I'm pretty sure I know what flights she's looking at:

Detroit (DTW) to Toronto (YYZ)

United Airlines, Inc. 8053

Dep: 7:45AM Arr: 8:47AM 1h 2m Canadair Reg. Jet OPERATED BY AIR CANADA EXPRESS - JAZZ

Layover in YYZ 1h 18m

United Airlines, Inc. Toronto (YYZ) to Quebec (YQB)

United Airlines, Inc. 8258

Dep: 10:05AM Arr: 11:45AM 1h 40m De Havilland-Bombardier Dash-8

These are actually Air Canada codeshares. Note that the second flight - the longer one, in fact - is on a Dash-8. A pretty bijou plane to be putting on this flight, to say the least.

The good news is that, if you miss your flight, there are many options between YYZ-YQB. I would probably go for it, but you can't doddle once at YYZ.

Twickenham: Great work. I just looked and don't see a flight YYZ to YQB at 10:05 but at 09:50 instead. The earlier inbound flight shows arrival ay 08:17. Either way that is a tight connection but with carry-on only, it is doable if the inbound flight is on time. I have done that walk between the American gates and the domestic gates via customs and Security. It is a long walk with the delay of both processes. I don't know where the inbound flight will gate but if they use the gates at the far south of the terminal then that is an even further walk.I gated there once on a flight from Milwaukee, we got the daily exercise that day. The YQM gate will probably be at the far northern gates making the connection walking distance the max possible at YYZ terminal 1. It is doable but ………..

The flights to YQB are on the Q400 aircraft. I have flown them many times and find them nicer than the RJ's, much nicer than the older dash 8 variants and almost as fast as the jets. Their overhead bins will accommodate max sized carry on….I know, I have tested the limits a few times when I have flown with just carry-on. It has been good that AC don't weigh the carry-on bags. At least they have never weighed mine. WestJet has though and I have been busted. :rolleyes:

Thanks to all of you...

I have not purchased any flight tickets as of yet. I am looking at the layover times in Toronto. I live in Ohio so flying out of Detroit is my norm. I will also look into Toledo flights but more times than not it drops me in DTW...UGH!

I am looking for Sept. Can/NE cruise embarking Quebec and departing in Boston. Planning for either 2014 0r 20156... NCL Dawn

I hate to fly, not scared but find the whole process dreadful! Landed in Barcelona without baggage once, have not had a flight in the past 5 years without delay or issue. This past week I flew from San Juan departed ship at 8:45 am and finally hit my front door 4:10 am the next day...I always attempt non stop flights or schedule with the best of intentions incase of issues so it isn't that I am cutting too tight as with this flight in question. This has made me so OVER FLYING! :(

Yes the flight Twinkenham references is one of several in question...Boston is a non stop flight home. There is also a few options that give Newark a layover and some with 2 hr layover. So once I was looking into the cost and schedules I realized customs will also be another obstacle.

I am also looking at a cruise r/t NYC but it does not include Quebec which I would prefer to see but I can avoid flying by driving.

Any recommendations are welcome,

Patty

It's SUCH a shame that Delta has made their non-stop DTW-YQB flight seasonal/summer only - a really lovely flight. Alas, in your circumstances, I would probably go for the EWR connection - that way you pass immigration/customs in YQB, rather than YYZ, giving you more leeway. And they have 4 flights/day to YQB, so some options if you miss your connection.

It's SUCH a shame that Delta has made their non-stop DTW-YQB flight seasonal/summer only - a really lovely flight. Alas, in your circumstances, I would probably go for the EWR connection - that way you pass immigration/customs in YQB, rather than YYZ, giving you more leeway. And they have 4 flights/day to YQB, so some options if you miss your connection.

Thanks to your post we've decided to change our cruise month to June sailing with Holland and take the non stop flight to Quebec out of DTW. Have never sailed them but this was all about itinerary and flights for me. Fall foliage is often a crap shoot so that was not really my priority actually looking forward to a little warmer climate and less busy cruise season. Thank you for all your input.

Patty