Disappointed with Future Cruise Credit.

Contracted a very slight case of noro a couple of years ago while on the Serenade. Here is what I was told was policy and what happened. This info came from both the medical staff and the guest relations manager.

If you report to sick call and it is determined that you have "noro" and they confine you to your cabin you are provided a voucher for the daily rate you paid times the number of days you were confined.

Called a customer care?? number when we got back. They confirmed the confinement and provided a voucher for the calculated amount.

Happened to my spouse last year and the same process was followed with the same result.

Also on one of the many Explorer threads there are posts that confirm that those who were confined received this type of compensation in addition to what everyone was offered.

The OP's post makes perfect sense.

Edited by looking4info

Some of you may have seen my post about getting ill while on Oasis over Christmas. (Most likely Noro) Here is the link to the original thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1960631

We were told that we would be hearing from Royal about a future cruise credit. As of this morning we still had not heard anything so I called to check on this. I was told they were issuing the credits today.

Royal is crediting us $239 per person. That is less than what we paid per person, per day for the cruise (we paid $257 PP, PD) . My mom missed 4 days of the cruise, my dad, my youngest son and I missed 3 days and my husband and eldest son missed 2 days.

I nicely told the person I spoke with that I was very unhappy about that and asked if there was someone I could speak to about the matter. While the representative was very nice, long story short I was told 1) no there was no one I could escalate the issue to 2) there was no way to say that we indeed got sick ON their ship and 3) they were doing us a courtesy by even giving us any credit. This felt like a slap in the face - especially point two considering they have been having a bit of trouble with noro on their ships lately and insinuating we came on board ill to begin with.

To say we are disappointed would be an understatement. Our family had talked about the situation after the cruise and all agreed that we would be very satisfied if RCL gave us the equivalent of 2 days each in the form of a future cruise credit. To be getting less than even one day is pretty darn insulting.

Does anyone have any experience in this kind of situation? If so is there a "higher up" department or person we can try reaching out to? We were fully prepared to give Royal another go if we had gotten decent credit but at the moment we are not feeling too warm & fuzzy about trying them again.

I symphatize with you and suggest that you call RCL Corporate Relationship at 800 256-6649. My problem was that when we sailed the Serenade in August we had a D2 hump cabin. It was a spacious cabin with a very large balcony. Unfortunately, we had to vacate after the 3rd nite because the cabin was near the Centrum and very noisy. I do not want to get in a blow-by-blow discussion. But in essence we were relocate to a #8126 which was a E1 category. We were awarded $826 per in FCC's. Unbeknown to me, OBC's are not considered as cash, therefore, TA lost it's commissions which in turn we lost a OBC , dinner for 2 at a specialty restaurant and other minor perk. I was furious and called Corp. Rel. and after going back and forth we got $75 per in OBC and the TA came up with the dinner for 2 and an onboard coupon booklet. Give it a try and do not take a no on the first try. Good luck.

Ps. The credits went toward the upcoming Allure cruise and after the credit and subsequent price reduction I could not take advantage of the D balcony discount because the net cruise price would not cover the port charges. Well whatever--learned a valuable lesson about the FCC.

I think what people are not understanding are two separate issues here:

1 - the OP did not expect or ask for the credit but was pleasantly surprised when it was offered to them....and rightfully disappointed when they never made good on their offer

2 - I believe RCCL offers credits when they have quarantined you to your room....this is a big difference from many of us who have gotten ill on a ship and didn't report it.....but rather just stayed in bed til felt better

Well if you report it and they quarantine you...that's usually when they offer credits...because THEY have requested you stay in your room and therefore they are crediting you for that time

Becoming ill and not reporting would give them no reason to offer future credit. Also, getting sick and then reporting it after your return serves no purpose either.

In the case of the OP....they got sick on the cruise...reported it...and were quarantined because of it...which is probably why they offered the credit.

I am siding with the OP. If I was quarantined to my cabin due to noro like viruses and was informed by RC that I would be compensated fully for each day quarantined to the room, I would not be happy. RC needs to compensate this family as they promised. Plain and simple.

OP - I am sorry if I missed this, but did you purchase the insurance? If so, I would definitely get started on a claim.

After following this thread, I have a few points:

1. Buy insurance that has an option to cover illness where you are confined to cabin(or resort room if on land).

2. Use a TA. A good travel agent would have helped up asap once home to make sure the credit was obtained...at least as much as they can help. They are sooo worth having in your corner!

3. ALWAYS obtain whatever is promised in writing at site, with the date, time and names of all individuals making the promises. Don't wait until you are home and then try to play find the clerk game. (I know we want to believe people BUT many times we only hear what we want to hear and not what is actually being said).

4. WASH your hands a zillion times. Use napkins on tongs. Use paper towels/tissues on bath room facets and doors.

5.Take your vitamins...air borne...get vaccines, etc. Basically do your part to stay healthy.

Edited by sandy toes
opps

I'm not sure why Royal should give you any credit. You got sick while on vacation. How is that their fault? They seem to being very generous by giving you the credit they are.

That's actually what I was thinking. I've been on a noro ship twice where I was quite sick. Never got any reimbursement; nor did I expect any. I guess it's only in recent years cruise lines have done that.

We also missed a port once because of the weather, but no refund of port charges.

People talk about how things have changed. Some of the changes are to their benefit.

Kathy

Thanks all for your replies. It seems I was not clear in my original post; my apologies.

Royal said they were going to compensate us with credit for each of the days they confined us to our cabins due to contracting noro. We never asked them to do this - they offered it - a credit for each day they confined us.

In my original thread from December we stated many times that we were very happy with how Royal treated us - this is why I said we would be happy if they only credited for two days; not the multiple days as promised by them.

My apologies that you all feel I am entitled, pathetic, etc for foolishly believing Royal was going to do what they offered.

If you got that impression from my comment, I apologize. I was merely pointing out that cruise lines have started reimbursing for noro and also for missed ports when they did not used to do that.

Good suggestion about the insurance claim.

Kathy

Regardless of whether any of us believe passengers should receive compensation for being confined to their cabin, the cruise line should keep their promises. Given the recent noro difficulties at Royal, you should have some significant leverage with the executive offices. You did exactly what Royal asks its passengers to do: report symptoms and stay in your cabin if confined. They should not be able at this point to back down from their promise of compensation.

I was quarantined for about 40 hours, and they ended up giving me one day cruise credit. They had told me they would lift the quarantine at about the 36 hour mark, but technically they didn't because it was still in effect when I tried to leave the ship the next day. I had to return to medical for them to lift the quarantine in their system.

My husband wasn't reimbursed because only I got sick.

We got $200 cruise credit to be applied w/in a year. That was about 1/8th of our fare for an 8 day cruise.

I wish the cruise credit would have been more open ended, because we'd booked a December cruise that year, and that was outside the one year deadline.

Edited by knittinggirl

I do wonder why they even agreed to do this to begin with... Why give anything if this was the case? I can't think of one other company that would do it!? Anyone have an idea why they do give guests refunds/credit?

My take on it is that they want to encourage people who are sick to report themselves and allow the medical team to take appropriate action eg quarantine them in their room. People are more likely to report being sick if they feel they are not getting something they paid for ie they are losing a day of their cruise.

We travelled with someone on our last cruise who was feeling a bit off in the stomach & attended the medical centre. They were asked to stay in their roon for 24 hours, which they did. Turned out it was nothing major and they were back on deck after a good long (24hr) rest in their room. They were credited (against a future cruise) for 1N of their cruise as compensation.