www site(s) or app for time-window air fare notification?

lbeck

We're booked for a British Isles cruise on June 4. I have signed up to skyscanner and travelocity and for the past couple of months have been getting notification of low cost airfare RDU-London but always the window of times that'll work for me aren't available. Usually the listed fare is only for the week or two following the notification.

I'm flexible a few days before and after the cruise. Are there any sites that will notify me ONLY if there is a price drop during a specified time window?

I've tried a few but have not been happy with the results. Given you also have flexibility in your dates I think you may be best doing this the old fashioned way and checking every day or two.

I often use ITA Matrix to look up flights since it remembers the last 3 searches you have done and also allows you to input date flexibility.

Thanks Rick. I was not aware of ITA Matrix but just tried it. Interesting site. It does offer time flexibility but no notification option that I could find.

The best price that I can find so far is in the neighborhood of $1500. I continue to get notification of flights 900-1000 but always for flights leaving in a few days or weeks at most. That price differential keeps me from booking without continuing to gamble that there may be a low price available prior to a month or so ahead of cruise date. Sometime in May I will need to go ahead and book a flight. If I find anything south of $1000 pp (there's four of us) I'll book if it's at at all reasonable with logistics (stops, plane size, layovers, etc.)

Thinfool - Thanks. I haven't tried Kayak recently. I'll log in there and see about their notification options.

Edited by lbeck

Thanks Rick. I was not aware of ITA Matrix but just tried it. Interesting site. It does offer time flexibility but no notification option that I could find.

The best price that I can find so far is in the neighborhood of $1500. I continue to get notification of flights 900-1000 but always for flights leaving in a few days or weeks at most. That price differential keeps me from booking without continuing to gamble that there may be a low price available prior to a month or so ahead of cruise date. Sometime in May I will need to go ahead and book a flight. If I find anything south of $1000 pp (there's four of us) I'll book if it's at at all reasonable with logistics (stops, plane size, layovers, etc.)

Thinfool - Thanks. I haven't tried Kayak recently. I'll log in there and see about their notification options.

FYI, June is pretty much 'high' season for flying to Europe. You may 'luck out' but be prepared for 'high season' pricing after May 31.

$1500 is similar to what others are seeing for flights across the pond for summer.

I believe that you can automatically check for fare reductions for the specific flight that you are already booked on at yapta.com
I'm a little confused by this comment. What advantage is offered by learning that a flight that you have booked has subsequently reduced the fare?

That's basically what concerns me. I don't want to pay $1500pp and two weeks later seeing that the same seats are going for a few hundred less. I hate that.

I'm a little confused by this comment. What advantage is offered by learning that a flight that you have booked has subsequently reduced the fare?.

Let me see if I can help you on this. On some airlines, if the fare goes down you can claim a credit for the fare difference at no cost, but only if you ask for it. But, how do you know if a fare has gone down? Simply by going to http://my.yapta.com/airline-refunds/.

Ibeck,

You don't say where your flight is to originate and if you have additional airport options. That can make a difference. You need to be creative and look at multi options. For example, if you can grab 4 tickets from LAX to NYC at a reasonable price and with a reasonable connection time and then book a reasonable ticket on a low price carrier for 4 this might be your best option. If you can spend several days in England, as you indicate, try Manchester, or Amsterdam or Edinburgh. They are all a train ride to London.

Do not look for 4 tickets first. Look for 1 and then 2 and so on. Your 4 tickets may force all into a higher fare bucket.

And don't for a minute presume that fares will drop. If you are cruising on June 4 you are already in the high summer season. It's highly unlikely that fares in May will be less than they are now. By May the casual traveler will have booked and the business flyer will be filling the seats.

Let me see if I can help you on this. On some airlines, if the fare goes down you can claim a credit for the fare difference at no cost, but only if you ask for it. But, how do you know if a fare has gone down? Simply by going to http://my.yapta.com/airline-refunds/.

And those that won't allow a credit at no charge will usually let you change to the lower fare if you pay a change fee. Typically such change fees are $150-200 for a domestic flight, more for international. If the new lower fare is reduced by more than the amount of the change fee, it could be worth it to change. Probably doesn't happen much, but it's possible.

Ex. You buy a ticket for $723. Later you see the same itinerary for $502. Change fee for the airline is $200. Fare difference is $221, less $200 change fee, you could end up with a $21 credit. Again, not likely to have a domestic coach fare drop enough to be worth it, but could possibly happen on a pricier international fare or first class domestic fare.