Tips for how to deal with anti-cruisers?

NauticalMiss

Hi, in my working life I spend a lot of my time meeting people for the first time. The best ice-breakers are the weather :(, family :eek: and holidays :cool:.

One type of holiday of that appears to divide people is cruising. People are either enthusiastically PRO-cruising; or they are equally as enthusiastically opposed to it - there appears to be no middle ground. Some even go so far as to try to attack the character of 'pro-cruisers'. (My own aunt has advised me that I am the 'black sheep' of the family for enjoying cruising :mad:; she has since been deleted from my Christmas card list).

Anyway, I am curious as to what informs the polarisation of the debate between Pro-cruisers and Anti-cruisers, and would love to hear what other people think. I am beginning to lose patience with people who screw their noses up when I admit to having had cruise holidays. I have attempted to counted their opposition but always feel I am on the defensive.

Does anyone else feel this way? How do YOU deal with combatant anti-cruisers?

Hi,

Most of the anti-cruisers I meet have never even tried a cruise holiday but just pre-judge based on their own perceptions of what it would be like. I suppose I did that myself at one time in the belief that it wasn't 'my type of holiday'! Once I was persuaded to try it I was immediately hooked! So I say to them .....don't knock it till you have experienced a cruise and then tell me what's not to enjoy!

The few anti-cruisers I meet I just pity. It is mostly because they haven't been on a cruise and make assumptions that are not true. Usually the reply I get is - I couldn't bear to be trapped on a boat with all those people - or - I'd be bored stuck on boat all the time!

My stock answer is usually that if you don't enjoy a cruise it is usually because you chose the wrong ship/line for your preferences.

But on the bright side - we don't want all those extra people cruising or prices will go up and availability down!!

Yes, I have met more than a few of these...

Its normally on the lines of "oh that's my idea of hell, being in the middle of an ocean with all those people... and all the norovirus.... and having to sit with strangers etc..... I could say to them - its not like that and if you tried it you might change your mind, but "no", they "know" its not for them!

The unfortunate thing is that you cannot really change their opinions. They have a picture in their mind, and to them that's the reality.

Some people are not as open minded as others. I am trying to find out why people like cigars... I've never had one and think I might turn green, but at least if I try it and dont like it at least I can be happy that I really do KNOW that I dont like them!!

Yes, I have met more than a few of these...

Its normally on the lines of "oh that's my idea of hell, being in the middle of an ocean with all those people... and all the norovirus.... and having to sit with strangers etc..... I could say to them - its not like that and if you tried it you might change your mind, but "no", they "know" its not for them!

The unfortunate thing is that you cannot really change their opinions. They have a picture in their mind, and to them that's the reality.

You're so right Suzieanna; they appear to be completely convinced they won't like it without even trying it. Two lifelong friends of ours like to ski and are adamant they will hate cruising. We went skiing with them twice, and now we know skiing is not for us - but at least we tried. :)

I work in a Library.

The opinions range from total Intregue to "it's not for us."

Those who are interested won't put the conversation down, 2 people have booked cruises since I have been talking to them. They have both come back raving about their experience but the Not for us camp seem to have no interest in the idea.

None of us understand......

Hi, in my working life I spend a lot of my time meeting people for the first time. The best ice-breakers are the weather :(, family :eek: and holidays :cool:.

One type of holiday of that appears to divide people is cruising. People are either enthusiastically PRO-cruising; or they are equally as enthusiastically opposed to it - there appears to be no middle ground. Some even go so far as to try to attack the character of 'pro-cruisers'. (My own aunt has advised me that I am the 'black sheep' of the family for enjoying cruising :mad:; she has since been deleted from my Christmas card list).

Anyway, I am curious as to what informs the polarisation of the debate between Pro-cruisers and Anti-cruisers, and would love to hear what other people think. I am beginning to lose patience with people who screw their noses up when I admit to having had cruise holidays. I have attempted to counted their opposition but always feel I am on the defensive.

Does anyone else feel this way? How do YOU deal with combatant anti-cruisers?

Just tell the anti - cruisers they are tightwads, I could be more specific, but I won't.

Have pity on them, for they know not what they are missing.

Hi,

Most of the anti-cruisers I meet have never even tried a cruise holiday but just pre-judge based on their own perceptions of what it would be like. I suppose I did that myself at one time in the belief that it wasn't 'my type of holiday'! Once I was persuaded to try it I was immediately hooked! So I say to them .....don't knock it till you have experienced a cruise and then tell me what's not to enjoy!

This was me too before I tried my first cruise last year. I wasn't anti cruises for others, but just didn't think it would be for me and yes, it was based on my own pre conceptions of what it would be like without trying it.

We were also subjected to very biased opinions from my very elderly in laws who put me off big-time - especially when they returned from one cruise saying they didn't enjoy it as much as previously as there were too many old people on there. They were in their mid eighties at the time!!!!!

It came to a head when a friend forced me to tell him exactly why I didn't think I would like cruises and my main reasons were:-

that I didn't want to be on a cruise where there was no one my age Solution: choose a cruise and cruise line which targets/attracts a mixed age group.

that I would not like not being able to get off the ship eg just to walk down the street for a paper/coffee etc and explore the locality Solution: Choose a cruise with lots of port days.

that I am not a person who enjoys playing games and organised stuff and stand up comedians etc Solution: Don't do those things. There are plenty of other things you can do - or just do your own thing

that I would feel claustrophobic on the ship Solution: choose a ship big enough not to make you claustrophobic and maybe try to arrange a day visit to it before booking.

He encouraged me to try a shorter cruise for the first time and to places I was interested in visiting and view the cruise like a floating hotel.

So for my Big Birthday treat, I decided to try it and we went on a 7 day cruise on the adult only Oriana to Norway and the Fjords. There were 4 days in port and we had been able to visit the Oriana on a Port Day in Southampton first and see the ship and the cabins.

Well, you know the rest. I am now hooked. And guess what - I even enjoyed the at-Sea days and found plenty to do and enjoyed exploring the ship herself. My problem was not having enough time to do everything I wanted to.

So whenever I speak with anti-cruisers, I try to get them to explain why they think they won't like it and encourage them to try it first before ruling it out. Some of my friends don't like the idea of having to dress up, but we do, but there are more relaxed cruise lines where they don't have to dress up.

From a converted one.

It's taken me 25 years to get my husband to cruise! He eventually agreed to try it in summer 2012 and he loves it,,I always knew I would but he was adamant he wouldn't like it and would be very ill with sea-sickness as he doesn't like moving things:rolleyes: On his 50th birthday trip on Azura it was actually me that felt the effects of motion sickness and had to have a magic pill:rolleyes:

Anti-cruisers that I know or meet seem to be of the opinion that they don't want to be with posh stuck up folks and have to dress up every night and spend a fortune on expensive ball gowns. I understand that and also that for an awful lot of people a holiday is a luxury that has to be saved for and as such they want to be sure it will be right for them as they will only be able to have 1 holiday a year. It's a risk you have to be willing and able to take to try something different for your holiday.

We did a bargain TA to NY for a bit of Xmas shopping, it was a rough crossing but at the same time exciting. We came back and said cruising is not for us until it was pointed out to us we didn't cruise we did a crossing which is a whole different ball game. Saying that would we do it again - yes we would what a way to arrive in NY the best.

We then tried a Caribbean cruise and are now hooked, we get the best of both worlds a fantastic floating hotel with good food and a different beach every few days what more could you want?

We love the Maldives but presently it is out of our budget so Caribbean cruises are a very nice option and we are hooked.

Never say never is my moto

I work in retail where I meet new customers every 5 minutes or so

I love travel and air travel so the subject of holidays comes up frequently, I`m known at work as that guy thats always cruising

I ask my customers if they would consider a cruise as a holiday and from the Anti Cruising camp I hear...

* I dont like Boats // Firstly its not a boat its a ship !!

* I cant swim // I can swim but I dont swim in the pools or plan to swim in the sea....

* I would hate to be stuck with somebody who wouldnt leave us/me alone // Ships are HUGE, more then enough room to "hide" from somebody...

It is puzzling that some people have such strong preconceptions about cruising. Almost to the point that you seem to go down in their estimation of you as a person.

'Oh, I'd be bored', 'feel trapped' or ' wouldn't want to be stuck with aload of newly weds and nearly deads'. Gee! Thanks! I'm in my fifties, married along time and, hopefully, still full of life! They find it odd that our other annual holiday is Las Vegas were we spend a week gambling, drinking, fine dining and seeing great shows. Degenerates:D

I know my mother would love a cruise, especially since developing minor mobility problems and living so close to the ships in Southampton. But, no, it's just sooooo beneath her. On the other hand, regarding my mother in law, a recent convert, I daren't mention we're thinking of booking a cruise in case she invites her self a long. I find I don't bother talking about it now unless someone mentions it first.

P.S I don't mind taking MIL, but sometimes you need just 'us time'.

Edited by frenchmartiniplease

To be fair I dont think it just applies to cruise holidays, I love Florida and have been ten times, but I have met so many people who have said 'I dont fancy it' or 'I hate pushy Americans' etc

When they eventually try it for themselves they are always blown away by the place and the amazing theme parks.

I suppose I am guilty too because I always say I dont do beach holidays:cool: But Last November I had a great time in Barbados for two weeks.

I guess we are all guilty of prejudging certain things, foods or places before we have sampled them ourselves

Steve

Edited by alvin moondust

My answer would be, try it if you don't like it don't go again.

Which really should be the view we take about any holiday type or destination. We have tried several others that attract the detractors who've never done one, like Saga, coach tours and theme parks, and thoroughly enjoyed them all.

Some people approach everything with a closed mind, and you just have to pity them for their lack of adventure.

One of the biggest preconceptions is about Benidorm! I love Benidorm!! I've been going for over 20 years and used to have a little hovel in the mountains out there and have seen massive improvements in the town and surrounding areas. The beaches are second to none and the entertainment is excellent and free! But people are very closed minded about it, as they are about cruises and Florida. Don't knock it til you've tried it!

Agree with the other person about Florida as well. We've been 7 times and it's just fantastic and I am always dumbstruck when people with children say "oh no our kids wouldn't like it" :rolleyes: What did John McEnroe used to say,,you cannot be serious!