ATM or how to get enough Canadian money to catch a cab to airport

missbsmom

Hi,

We are doing a South bound Alaska cruise from Anchorage to Vancouver. We are not staying on in Vancouver. We will disembark and then head to the airport. Does anyone know if there is a ATM in the Canada Place terminal or how I can get approx. $40 CAN to pay for the taxi ride to the airport ? Do the Taxis in Canada take credit cards ? Does the cruise ship offer to exchange USD for CAN currency on board ?

There is an ATM tucked in a corner by the snack machines. It is near the line going out to the taxis. Just ask someone, it is really hard to find. But, yes, taxis do take credit cards. Ask before you get in. They also take American dollars.

Most of the taxis are Prius'. Really small, for two and their luggage.

i recommend you just pay with a credit card - your credit card will change the current exchange rate, you can also add tip to the bill too.

In Canada most credit cards have a pin that you are to enter instead of signing but if your card doesn't have this security feature you just sign.

Enjoy

Thanks for the quick replies. I prefer using the credit card. My has a "chip" in it. Will I still need to set up a pin ?

in Canada all our credit cards use a four digit pin number (kind of like debit cards) we put the card in the machine and it prompts us for a pin. My knowledge from US friends is that when they use their cards here they are not given this option. A receipt is spit out and you sign it and you are given a copy.

This is what happens when we use our pin credit card in the US, we just sign.

enjoy - it is beautiful here today, very cold though (something we are not use to) and no snow, we have had a great winter.

If you're flying into YVR, then there's at least 2 ATMs that you'll pass. One is just past the glass sliding doors after the baggage area. The other one is before that and the rate isn't as good.

I think I'm in the same boat as the OP though - coming into Canada Place and taking a taxi immediately to the airport. I was wondering how safe it is to use a credit card (with chip & PIN) in the taxi. Do you hand the card to the Prius-driving taxi guy or put it in the machine yourself? (I know that's a weird question.) How do you add the tip if you give the card to the driver? Just tell him what to add onto it? :confused:

I would strongly discourage taking a taxi and instead encourage you to take the Canada Line Skytrain. It will cost significantly less and can even be faster than taking the taxi. The station is less than a block from the cruise terminal (signs are very clear leading you to the skytrain, just make sure you take the Canada Line) and the ride itself is 30 minutes. Its final stop is right in front of the airport entrance. VERY convenient!

I would strongly discourage taking a taxi and instead encourage you to take the Canada Line Skytrain. It will cost significantly less and can even be faster than taking the taxi. The station is less than a block from the cruise terminal (signs are very clear leading you to the skytrain, just make sure you take the Canada Line) and the ride itself is 30 minutes. Its final stop is right in front of the airport entrance. VERY convenient!

yes i too recommend the skytrain.

Fare is $3.75 for adult $2.75 for senior (65 and older or child under 18) during the week prior to 6:30 pm, On weekends or after 6:30 pm it is $2.75 per adult and $1.75 for senior.

It is a bit higher if leaving from the airport and heading downtown as you pay a bit extra from airport.

Make sure if you get on downtown you get on the line that is going to the airport as not all trains go there every other one goes to downtown Richmond.

Vickie

The SkyTrain is very convenient, unless you have a ton of luggage. One carry on works very well and is very doable. Have used it from the airport to downtown and around town. Not sure if you need to have Canadian Dollars or if a credit card will work.

There is a long. Line for a taxi, but it does move fast. There are a few larger taxis, but not many.

A couple of years ago, the internet said there was no airport shuttle. When I got off the Golden in 2012, there was a direct to the airport shuttle. Actually made it early enough to catch an earlier flight. Not sure if this option is still available.

My first thought was - why not just buy some Cdn$ prior to leaving the US? Should be avbl at your bank, just like we buy US$ here. Any unused funds could be returned for exchange.

2nd thought - use US$. You won't get a good exchange rate but it's a small amount for a one time deal.

3rd of course, is use a credit card.

DrivesLike - most of our mobile units are similar to any debit or CC readers. They hand you the reader and u insert your card and follow the prompts - one will be for tip, either an amount or a % of the bill. The idea is that your card is never out of your possession. We use them extensively for fast-food delivery, taxis, repair guys etc.

Vickie - Hi - if you use the Skytrain, would you not absolutely have to have Cdn funds to pay the fare? Just a thought. Guess that would be thought #4 !! :)

My first thought was - why not just buy some Cdn$ prior to leaving the US? Should be avbl at your bank, just like we buy US$ here. Any unused funds could be returned for exchange.

2nd thought - use US$. You won't get a good exchange rate but it's a small amount for a one time deal.

3rd of course, is use a credit card.

DrivesLike - most of our mobile units are similar to any debit or CC readers. They hand you the reader and u insert your card and follow the prompts - one will be for tip, either an amount or a % of the bill. The idea is that your card is never out of your possession. We use them extensively for fast-food delivery, taxis, repair guys etc.

Vickie - Hi - if you use the Skytrain, would you not absolutely have to have Cdn funds to pay the fare? Just a thought. Guess that would be thought #4 !! :)

Thanks - that explains exactly what I was wondering. I feel much more comfortable with a POS machine like that, thanks!

I always get some Canadian money before I go to Canada. I get it from Wells Fargo.

I've used Wells Fargo's foreign money ordering many times but for only $40-$50 Cdn, it's not really worth the bother.

So, now I need to figure out if we should take the train to airport or a taxi. Ugh. We'll have two 30" suitcases, a carry-on suitcase and a carry-on bag. Not sure if I want to haul that to the train station. Will look on Google maps to see how far it is. If it's the train station I've been to before, it was a long walk once we were inside too. Thanks for the info, though! Will check it out.

There are credit card ticket machines for Skytrain. The trains to the airport are designed for luggage. Almost certainly the quickest way to the airport.

Only question is why you aren't spending a day or two here!

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector