Royal Caribbean kicked me off cruise ship for having a migraine

Elfmama

I'm sorry this happened to you and I hope you get your refund but I think the medical team on the ship made the right call.

I witness first hand what happens in the same situation. My neighbor suffered from migraines all her life. She first had them in her 20s then well into her 70s. We were at her daughter's house having a bar-b-que when she mentioned that she felt a migraine coming so no one thought anything about it including the slurring of her words. Her daughter gave her one of her pills and we continued sitting around visiting and joking.

Her daughter turned to see why her mother didn't laugh at her favorite joke only to realize that her mother was suffered a major stroke. Mrs. Bellard spent the next three days in the hospital. Two days later I attended her funeral. This lady was there for me everyday, for months, after I buried my mother so I took her dying very hard.

So yes, I have to say I'm sorry you were kicked off the ship but I give the ship's staff an A+ for that the pro-active approach they did with your life. The ship's doctor did not have access to your family history and any doctor worth his degree would not just take a stranger's word about it.

Hopefully one day you will sit down, think about it and say a silent thank you that there is a doctor out there who took your life and health very serious.

Edited by lady_cruiser

I wouldn't be so fast to knock the doctor. Unlike a private physician who is responsible to the patient, a ship's doctor also has to consider 3000 other guests as well as the fact that they are heading out to sea where a medical emergency is going to be much harder to deal with than it is when the ship is dock side. I've had plenty of patients come into the office and tell me what was wrong with them. Plenty of times they are right. A good healthy dose of skepticism has served me well for the times that they were wrong.

From the product insert for Imetrix:

"

Contraindications

Imitrex Tablets should not be given to patients with history, symptoms, or signs of ischemic cardiac, cerebrovascular, or peripheral vascular syndromes. In addition, patients with other significant underlying cardiovascular diseases should not receive Imitrex Tablets. Ischemic cardiac syndromes include, but are not limited to, angina pectoris of any type (e.g., stable angina of effort, vasospastic forms of angina such as the Prinzmetal variant), all forms of myocardial infarction, and silent myocardial ischemia. Cerebrovascular syndromes include, but are not limited to, strokes of any type as well as transient ischemic attacks. Peripheral vascular disease includes, but is not limited to, ischemic bowel disease (see WARNINGS)."

So, if the doc gave Imetrix to a patient he then offloaded due to the risk of stroke, I hold to my original statement. Actually, I was assuming risk adverse originally, but if they used a contraindicated drug, I'm a little more concerned, although I do recognize the physician is in a tough spot here.

My main point originally was that with the "we have no responsibility" clause in all the documents for RCI, the beef is really with the ship's physician rather than RCI; RCI has divested itself from any action or inaction of the medical personnel.

Did you even consider to just return to your cabin and lay down and have your DH continue on to the muster drill and deal with the consequences of missing that drill later :confused:

one, according to the post they did not realize there would be strobes. and 2 a CM was there who saw the incident as it occurred and would not let them go to their cabin to lay down.

IIRC the strobes are near the end of the drill( and not always in a direct line of sight depending on where you stand)

did Royal overreact? depends on who you talk to. obviously according to the OP they did and were unwilling to take 15 seconds to stop and assess/listen to the OP.

but then again all we have is their side of the story, not Royal's and the CMs involved.

Unfortunate, obviously, but in the grand scheme of things this will be a non issue/lost in the bigger stories regarding Noro and honestly, Royal will not even notice they lost a customer.

Yes...I know, but I think I would rather have explained my situation to my cabin steward and deal with it that way with whatever would happen next....Not sure how they handle it if they come into your cabin and you're in bed :confused:

would not have mattered. a couple got kicked off the second leg of their back To back because the wife felt ill that morning and refused to attend the drill saying that she had just done it last week at the beginning of the first leg.

they told her she HAD to attend, period and if she continued to refuse they would be kicked off. she still refused. they kicked her off.

Without expressing an opinion either way one complicating factor here is that it happened during the evacuation drill. If they think that there is something that may affect your ability to safely evacuate the ship then different things start to come into play. If the same thing happened in a real emergency it would add a certain complexity to the situation.

you know I hadn't thought of that and you have a very valid point.

So the cruiseline erred on the side of caution? I understand you are upset but I see their side too. No I'm not a RCL cheerleader. If they had taken you at your word and it turned out NOT to be a migraine but something more serious then we would be having the conversation that they didn't do enough. File with the insurance. Maybe a few vacaton on land is more suited for those like my late husband with chronic illnesses. JMO

It sounds like RCCL should have handled this better. Sorry this happened.

As for all the medical "experts" here, you should know that there is a link between migraines and strokes. (see below). Also we don't know what other risk the OP may have had for stroke such as obesity, high BP, etc. It's best not to second-guess the evaluating physician without all the data. What was her BP when she presented? What was the neurologic exam? We're only hearing one side from someone who is (understandably) upset.

And as a physician I can tell you I'd rather kick 1000 people of a cruise for no reason than cause 1 person to be crippled for life because I missed the diagnosis. I can live with the former. That's just the way it is.

WEDNESDAY, June 26 (HealthDay News) -- Women who have migraine headaches with aura are at increased risk for stroke, a new study indicates.

Migraine with aura is a migraine that's preceded or accompanied by visual effects such as flashes of light or blind spots, or by tingling in the hand or face.

A study of almost 28,000 women in the United States found those who had migraine with aura were at greater risk for all types of strokes, according to the researchers, who are scheduled to present the findings Wednesday at a meeting of the International Headache Congress in Boston.

"Migraine with aura has been consistently linked with increased risk of ischemic stroke and there is also some evidence that it increases risk of hemorrhagic stroke," lead author Dr. Tobias Kurth, of Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, said in a congress news release.

Edited by DrD

Can you imagine the lawsuit they would have had if a stroke victim had not been taken to the ER? With the current legal environment, all corporations must err on the side of caution.

Most migrane sufferers don't experience migranes when on low-carb, high-fat diets, so you might want to consider cutting out carbs just before the cruise to reduce the likelyhood of this happening on your next cruise.

Not mine...my migraines come from MSG.

Yes...I know, but I think I would rather have explained my situation to my cabin steward and deal with it that way with whatever would happen next....Not sure how they handle it if they come into your cabin and you're in bed :confused:

At our last muster drill, I asked a crew member what they did about no-shows because several cabin numbers were called and not every one was accounted for. After a few jokes (like "walking the plank") he told me that those who could not make it to muster were rounded up for a special safety lecture. I'm not sure if that's true but it sounded logical. Even with the no-shows, we were dismissed after the Captain's welcome announcement. The OP may have been able to deal with the Cabin Steward and try cope with the headache and go to the follow-up muster drill later.

In the end, all the "you should have done this or that" replies are only helpful to those of us who cruise in the future. If the OP's account is 100% accurate (and I can't tell because I wasn't there) it must feel awful to lose a long-awaited cruise and anniversary celebration because symptoms (that are so common to someone that they don't think of them as dangerous) are misdiagnosed.

Wow. Am I the only one who is appalled with how the OP is being crucified for having a manageable chronic condition?

I think because I suffered for years with cluster migraines I understand that it is not life threatening and just something you live through.

I also understand the ship's concern, but really, a doctor should know better. If RCCL decided to error on being cautious with today's litigious society, that is their right. I only feel that they should refund the cruise fare because it was the cruise line that didn't want to take the risk. The OP knew very well what was happening and that it was not life threatening.

Yes, statements about never cruising with RCCL are extreme, but if you put yourself in her shoes, you would be upset too.

Let's say you had diabetes, should you not be allowed to cruise? Diabetes can be life threatening.

I am a RCCL fanboy, but I do think the OP deserves a refund.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

So my DW has diabetes, we shouldn't travel? The answer is of course we travel, we just work hard at being prepared to travel. And, truthfully, this is due to lessons learned over the last many, many years of travel.

Probably the one of the better suggestions is that the OP should have had a note from her doctor explaining her condition and treatments for it.

When we travel, DW always has her meds, her backup meds, copies of her prescriptions and a detailed note from her doctor authorizing her to travel. Low blood sugar, which can be quickly corrected with some juice, can lead to some rather odd systems, but knowing she is diabetic leads to quick solutions.

I always buy the cruise care insurance, too many things might (thankfully never have) go wrong.

What I don't understand is that if the OP had cruise insurance, why are they pursuing RCCL and not the insurance company? Wouldn't the insurance company provide the benefit?

I really don't fault the ship's doctor, they have to err on the side of caution. Certainly this turned out awful for the OP, and I sympathize for them, but the ship will not take that risk that it could be something else.

Dolby1000

As for all the medical "experts" here, you should know that there is a link between migraines and strokes. (see below). Also we don't know what other risk the OP may have had for stroke such as obesity, high BP, etc. It's best not to second-guess the evaluating physician without all the data. What was her BP when she presented? What was the neurologic exam? We're only hearing one side from someone who is (understandably) upset.

And as a physician I can tell you I'd rather kick 1000 people of a cruise for no reason than cause 1 person to be crippled for life because I missed the diagnosis. I can live with the former. That's just the way it is.

WEDNESDAY, June 26 (HealthDay News) -- Women who have migraine headaches with aura are at increased risk for stroke, a new study indicates.

Migraine with aura is a migraine that's preceded or accompanied by visual effects such as flashes of light or blind spots, or by tingling in the hand or face.

A study of almost 28,000 women in the United States found those who had migraine with aura were at greater risk for all types of strokes, according to the researchers, who are scheduled to present the findings Wednesday at a meeting of the International Headache Congress in Boston.

"Migraine with aura has been consistently linked with increased risk of ischemic stroke and there is also some evidence that it increases risk of hemorrhagic stroke," lead author Dr. Tobias Kurth, of Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, said in a congress news release.

Thanks DrD. Being pretty new here, I believe I've identified you as a well-versed voice of reason on many different threads! :)

I am really sorry this happened to you...I experience migraines, as well, but not to the extent that you do. Sometimes when you live with a condition that you know how to manage you don't think about bringing a doctor's note on board with you, because it's not something that occurs to you, or hasn't been an issue that has required a note in the past. Royal Caribbean will always act to protect their customers and the safety of the people on board, and will trust the guidance of their medical team and lawyers over what you say every day of the week if there are any legal concerns. I would suggest e-mailing Mr. Goldstein with Royal Caribbean (agoldstein@rccl.com). We had an issue with my son on our Allure cruise, and I received a very quick response from Customer Service when I e-mailed him. They were very courteous.

What I can't figure out is why they didn't try to get to the next port and enjoy the rest of the cruise? I'm sure the notes from the ER doctor would have been sufficient. I would have headed back to the dock and talk to the agent there to see what could be done.

The next port would have been Cozumel

Failed to diagnose the proper symptoms. If it took ER 20 mins to come to a proper diagnosis, why did the ship not.

That's a bit worrying for the future.

I feel for the OP but going to the infirmary is like going to a walk-in clinic. If you're displaying stroke like symptoms, they'll ship you out to the nearest ER in a rescue or ambulance. It wouldn't make much sense for RCI keep the OP on the ship just so they could turn around 10 or 20 miles out and come back because it turned out to be more than a migraine? Hopefully they can work it out with RCI but it looks like they're beyond that.

Failed to diagnose the proper symptoms. If it took ER 20 mins to come to a proper diagnosis, why did the ship not.

That's a bit worrying for the future.

I feel for the OP but going to the infirmary is like going to a walk-in clinic. If you're displaying stroke like symptoms, they'll ship you out to the nearest ER in a rescue or ambulance. It wouldn't make much sense for RCI keep the OP on the ship just so they could turn around 10 or 20 miles out and come back because it turned out to be more than a migraine? Hopefully they can work it out with RCI but it looks like they're beyond that.

I tended to agree with you, bigeck, but have changed my thoughts somewhat since reading DrD's post. With chronic migraines being an added risk factor for stroke, its hard to fault the onboard clinic here, even if they knew it was a migraine. They're obviously not the same as a fully staffed and fully equipped ER, and (from my layman's perspective) probably made the right call.

I can certainly sympathize with the OP though, and understand her anger. I'm somewhat surprised RCI didn't offer them something, even if it was far short of a full refund, just as a goodwill gesture and for good PR.

Exactly.

OP still did not respond to the question about having purchased Trip Insurance.

I think they did based on this comment.

We did get a refund of our shore excursions and wine package and stuff like that, but not the cost of the cruise itself. Our only recourse is to file with the travel insurance people.

OP still did not respond to the question about having purchased Trip Insurance.

OP wrote in her post that they did have insurance. I hope it is an insurance that covers preexisting conditions.

"Our only recourse is to file with the travel insurance people."

Edited by wieslaw

I can understand why RCI would be careful in this or similar situation. People are excited about their cruise and might take risks to stay on. Once your on a cruise ship you are a captive to the sea. The cruise ship does have limited medical capabilities. I can totally understand your point because in the end it was only (not making light of it) a major headache. Yes the best thing to do unfortunately is to be quiet about things like this. Once it's out there and a employee hears that, it becomes a matter to deal with and unfortunately there was a swift way to deal with it, since you were still in port. In the end, it truly sounds like they were looking out for your best interest.

The right thing to do is for RCI to either refund you or book you on another cruise. You didn't get the benefit of what you paid for. It doesn't cost the line much to just move you to another sailing, so I'm not sure why they are not giving you another cruise. Sounds like a ironic curse in having insurance in this particular instance, because Royal is able to push the issue over to them.

Edited by DreamingBig1

I tended to agree with you, bigeck, but have changed my thoughts somewhat since reading DrD's post. With chronic migraines being an added risk factor for stroke, its hard to fault the onboard clinic here, even if they knew it was a migraine. They're obviously not the same as a fully staffed and fully equipped ER, and (from my layman's perspective) probably made the right call.

I can certainly sympathize with the OP though, and understand her anger. I'm somewhat surprised RCI didn't offer them something, even if it was far short of a full refund, just as a goodwill gesture and for good PR.

I do agree with you both after DrD posted. We have a different system over here in Scotland. If your a doctor, your a doctor.

I suppose being safe than sorry was the way to go, as for the refund, I would never cruise without insurance. We get healthcare free in Scotland and cant afford to take a chance.

Edited by bigeck

I do agree with you both after DrD posted. We have a different system over here in Scotland. If your a doctor, your a doctor.

I suppose being safe than sorry was the way to go, as for the refund, I would never cruise without insurance. We get healthcare free in Scotland and cant afford to take a chance.

Oh, a doctor is a doctor here too - but an onboard clinic isn't anywhere close to an ER - I think that's the big difference. The ER doc had a whole lot more resources available to him/her than the ship doc. Its also possible that since the ER has a much larger staff that the ER doc who saw her was a specialist, likely a neurologist - rather than the general practitioner who would be onboard the ship.

By the way, I love a good single malt scotch - so thanks! :D

Edited by LetsGetWet!