Arriving in Fort Lauderdale 3 days early any suggestions

auction17

We are arriving in Fort Lauderdale on March 20th, our cruise on the Allure starts Sunday the 23rd. Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on things to do, or great places to eat while in Fort Lauderdale. We will have a rental car so getting around will be ok.

We are arriving in Fort Lauderdale on March 20th, our cruise on the Allure starts Sunday the 23rd. Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on things to do, or great places to eat while in Fort Lauderdale. We will have a rental car so getting around will be ok.

I think Allure leaves on Sundays, so you could go to the beach Saturday afternoon and watch ships leave port. Coconuts is not far from there, they have good food.

With a vehicle at your disposal, you can do ANYTHING! Head to Miami and check it out. You could drive to the Everglades....or take a day and head to the Gulf Coast....tons of stuff to do with that much time! Head to your library, pick up a book on Florida and start the planning!

You may want to check out the Florida Departures Forum. You might find some suggestions there.

My mother and I spent a day exploring by using the inter-coastal waterway taxi service. It was a great time. Hopping on and off when we wanted. Lots of shopping and food opportunities on the routes. The crew was very entertaining. Some of them even have bar service. :)

I second the water taxi! Lovely way to see a lot and go from North Fort Lauderdale all the way down to Hollywood! The all day ticket means you can get on and off wherever you want and the service runs for a considerable proportion of the day!

I also agree with watching the sailaways on a Saturday. Go down to the beach by the entrance to the port - always loads of people down there and an excellent place to watch from!

Have a lovely time on Allure :)

Drive down to South Beach and enjoy lunch or dinner at one of the many restaurants on Ocean Drive.

Great people watching (and exotic cars driving by) and the food is usually good.

Park and walk around, look at the menus posted outside and make sure you get a table on the patio so you can enjoy the scenery going by!

Enjoy yourself! It's a great place to have a few days pre cruise!

where are you staying? I live in Ft Lauderdale and can give you some great restaurants to go and enjoy a great meal. An idea is to go to the Marriott Harbor Beach on Saturday valet car and walk down to watch the ships leave the port. Go back and have dinner at 3030 Ocean, great sea food. They can validate your valet and I think the charge is only $5.

Everglades Park is fun and you can go on an airboat ride. Look for a groupon or Living Social discount

Enjoy your cruise. I went on the Allure last Jan. look for my review,

Allure 1-6-13 with pics

Caneguy

I posted this awhile back on the Disability board' date=' but didn't get a response. Is there a place where we can take my DS, who is in a wheelchair, to watch the ships leave port?[/quote']

Other than the Dania Beach Pier a couple miles away (where there's a Quarter Deck Restaurant with a deck) there's not really much. You could go out to the middle of the 17th Street Bridge, but I'm not sure how comfortable that would be for her and if she could see over or under the railings.

An afternoon on the Hollywood Broadwalk and beach then dinner in Downtown Hollywood would be enjoyable. Dozens of restaurants of all nationalities are lined up on the tree lined boulevard.

http://www.visithollywoodfl.org/dining_nightlife.aspx

Lauderdale By the Sea is also a great place to spend a day at the beach and many independent shops and restaurants. Lauderdale By the Sea is the way Ft Lauderdale used to be with no high rises, ma and pa shops and no high rises.

http://www.lauderdalebythesea-fl.gov/

And yes, the Water Taxi.

http://www.watertaxi.com/

Palm Beach International Boat show is then and you will be able to board and tour some amazing megayachts. Not your thing and want to stay closer to base? Water taxi and go to 15 St Fisheries for a meal. There are various river cruises as well, the River Queen dinner cruise is enjoyable narrated way to spend an evening seeing famous homes and the food is good.

What are your hobbies or interests? A good amt of museums and always local events happening. South Florida has out of this world restaurants, don't waste 1 moment at a chain place.

Palm Beach International Boat show is then and you will be able to board and tour some amazing megayachts. Not your thing and want to stay closer to base? Water taxi and go to 15 St Fisheries for a meal. There are various river cruises as well, the River Queen dinner cruise is enjoyable narrated way to spend an evening seeing famous homes and the food is good.

What are your hobbies or interests? A good amt of museums and always local events happening. South Florida has out of this world restaurants, don't waste 1 moment at a chain place.

I don't know about Palm Beach just the Fort Lauderdale and Miami Boat Shows but you have to have an appointment and be financially qualified to get on the mega yachts. You can still get on some pretty large yachts.

I agree about the water taxi and they've brought out the big double decker taxis.

Good restaurants:

PF Changs

Capitol Grilll

Trulucks

Seasons 52

Coconuts

Casablanca

Roccos Tacos

Floridian (breakfast)

Johnny Vs

Cheesecake Factory

Big City Tavern

Timpanos

Royal Pig

Yolo

Lobster Bar

Coco Asian

Mezzaluna

Chima (Brazillian)

I have been to a number of the restaurants you mention and I must say you make some very good suggestions!

PB boat show has a lot of charter yachts, so they will register you right on the dock and give you a tour with no vetting. The truly mega mega mega stuff, you are right, you aren't getting on, but up to the 120-140' range of new builds and charters, no problem. Crew and Captains are happy to give you tours of all areas. It is a wonderful and unique way to spend a day.

It is nice to see so many recommend the water taxi; it is a great tourist draw in Fort Lauderdale and an inexpensive way to "make your own day" and see lots of interesting sites.

If the OP enjoys golf there is no shortage of golf courses in the area as well, a good way to spend a half a day. Our beautiful beaches are free too and can get you in a vacation mood very quickly as well.

All great suggestions. We also have a great children't museum with an IMAX that is handicap accessible. http://www.mods.org/ The art museum is not too far away. http://www.moafl.org/museum?year=2014&month=03

I live in Hollywood Beach, so I a partial to that beach. We have a wide broadwalk that is wheelchair friendly and some ramps onto the beach to accommodate wheelchairs. The restaurants are mostly mom and pop places. We could not consider them fine dining, put pizza and pitchers are great in your bathing suit.

I posted this awhile back on the Disability board' date=' but didn't get a response. Is there a place where we can take my DS, who is in a wheelchair, to watch the ships leave port?[/quote']

I just saw this and don't know if you got an answer but the top of the 17th Street Bridge is an excellent place. There is seating at the top of the bridge. Very cool view!

I!

PB boat show has a lot of charter yachts, so they will register you right on the dock and give you a tour with no vetting. The truly mega mega mega stuff, you are right, you aren't getting on, but up to the 120-140' range of new builds and charters, no problem. Crew and Captains are happy to give you tours of all areas. It is a wonderful and unique way to spend a day.

That is so great to know! Thanks! We may head up!

:cool:Wow! all of the suggestions were great. We will have no problem finding something to do and also a great restaurant to eat at. Again thanks so much for the info.

Of course a Montana guy might not want to go shopping with the women folk so there's also the International Game Fishing Association Museum right next to Bass Pro. Drop him off there and he can entertain himself for a couple hours.

http://www.igfa.org/Museum/Visit-the-Museum.aspx

Oh...They've also got a pretty good restaurant there called Islamorada Fish Company.

http://restaurants.basspro.com/fishcompany/

Edited by walty