Cameras in Buenos Aires

JAKE3337

Is it safe to be wondering around with a SLR camera in Buenos Aires or are we better to just bring our small Canon point and shoot and leave our SLR for when we are on the ship?

We are trying to minimize any chances of being targeted for thefts/mustard scams etc.

Thanks

Angela

We only used our point and shoot. We always try not to look like quintessential tourists when we travel alone. On a group tour, it doesn't matter because the group defines you anyway.

So did you succeed in not looking like a tourist as you snapped pictures of your surroundings? :p

For the OP, companies like Pacsafe make neck straps that can make carrying your DSLR more secure. It actually has a wire cable inside so thieves cannot come from behind and cut the strap. Why suffer on picture quality, just be alert. :)

So did you succeed in not looking like a tourist as you snapped pictures of your surroundings? :p

Yes I succeeded. :) Proof: Three times I was taken for a local, for example I was asked for directions by a Spanish speaker. The city was full of South American tourists. My point and shoot camera is of excellent quality and can do more than just that.

We did a lot of walking in Buenos Aires, as well as using the METRO. We even walked back to our Bed and Breakfast at midnight after a Tango show.

There are areas of the city that you should not walk through. The area between La Boca and San Telmo is to be avoided.

If you walk at night, use well lit streets.

We don't have SLR camers, but have nice cameras. We were comfortable in pubic.

The cities on the Around the Horn cruise in Patagonia and Terra Del Fuego are very safe.

Also, Chile seems generally to be safe.

Is it safe to be wondering around with a SLR camera in Buenos Aires or are we better to just bring our small Canon point and shoot and leave our SLR for when we are on the ship?

We are trying to minimize any chances of being targeted for thefts/mustard scams etc.

Thanks

Angela

No problem, we were there last month.

We were a group of 4 travelers, two have SLRs. If you have a camera, you will look like a tourist. Just stay away from certain areas - we visited La Boca in the daytime so there were no problems but we did take a taxi going there from San Telmo and then returning back to the hotel since the Metro is not that close. However, the taxis may try to cheat you. It is safer to have your hotel or restaurant call one for you. Just put the SLR in a tote bag or backpack once you are done taking pictures.

We spent three days last year in BA, some with a guide, some on our own. I had a DSLR with me the entire time, often out of the camera bag. Had no problems. There was one street we were walking down in La Boca (during the day) with our guide where she told me to put the camera in my bag.

Yes I succeeded. :) Proof: Three times I was taken for a local, for example I was asked for directions by a Spanish speaker. The city was full of South American tourists. My point and shoot camera is of excellent quality and can do more than just that.

Nice work. :)

I wouldn't even try I so look like a tourist where ever I go so I just try to keep an eye out around me for riff raff and enjoy the vacation.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2