Celebrity Nickle and Dime,

nick0danger

ah its only, money, but upfront is good. But i rather pay more upfront, and not have to drag, out the wallet to do anything. Oh well, i guess, i only gripe cause they dont really, give you an idea of what you can do, for an extra cost.

I'll list the items I can remember for which there is an additional charge, however, some of these items are complimentary if you are in a suite, CC, or at a certain level of Captain's Club.

As has already been mentioned, there is a charge for the T-pool except on the M class ships and a charge for the speciality restaurants. There is also a charge for soda, bottled water, speciality coffees, alcoholic beverages, smoothies, and virgin cocktails. There is a charge for certain items ordered from room service, such as canapes. (These are listed in the room service directory and would be considered a speciality or party food). I believe there is a charge for juices ordered in the bars and there may be a charge for juice ordered in the dining rooms or room service outside of regular breakfast hours. (I know that RCI has this charge, but I'm not sure about Celebrity).

There is a charge for certain classes in the gym, like spinning classes, but the equipment is free to use and there are some free classe too. Most of the spa services (and the Persian Garden) have charges, although they do offer some free classes where they usually demonstrate some product (which they try to sell) or they try to sell services. (But they do often give some type of coupon or discount, so if you were going to buy it anyway...) There is a charge for internet usage, either per minute or you can buy a package. There is no charge for taking the photographs (no sitting fee), but there is a charge for the photos you choose to purchase.

It shouldn't be surprising that there is a charge for shore excursions. But you do get a free map and information about the port so you can go on your own if you desire. There is also a usually a charge if you need to use the ship medical services (depends on the circumstances.)

Others may think of something I have omitted--this list doesn't purport to be complete. I think many of these items are items for which a cruise ship passenger would have expected a charge.

We have sailed on several different cruise lines and I believe that Celebrity is similar to the other mainstream cruise lines as to the items for which there is a charge. You can go on Seaborne and not worry about paying for these extra charges, but given the price of their staterooms, you could buy a lot of extras on a mainstream cruise line for the price difference. Of course, if you drank a lot of alcoholic beverages, it could be a better deal for you. :)

While most of the mainstream cruise lines charge for these extras, the charges do vary based on the cruise line. For example, the adult soda card on Celebrity and RCI is approximately twice as much as the charge for the adult soda card on HAL and Princess. But we have never let merely the price differences between the extra charge items dictate our choice of cruiseline. Knowing the costs does allow us to plan our cruise budget accordingly, though.

Hi Nick:)

When you book, do you normally use a TA? Or directly with the cruiseline?

The reason I ask is a good TA, specializing in cruises and possibly Celebrity

specifically, could probably tell you item by item what is extra and what is not.

I bought the 1-day pass to the thalassotherapy pool on our last sea day on the Galaxy. I enjoyed it so much that I wished I had discovered it earlier during our cruise. So when we sailed on the Century last year, we purchased passes for the whole cruise on the first day. The cost was $66 each ($60 plus $6 automatic tip). It was worth it to me. We went at least once each day and sometimes twice. A lot of times, I'd spend up to three hours there--relaxing in the pool, reading the book in a lounge chair, going into the sauna, going into the steam room.

.............and to the person who asked what a T pool is: it has has ben noted it is just before the spa and it is called a T pool because no one, me included can spell or pronunce the full name, this is an approximation; Thaliosotheapy pool, or a Therapy pool of sorts. It has spa type jets in many areas, is warm, and MAy have a mineral content to it, not sure. It is in a very nice area with comfy lounge chairs and also tables and chairs for card playing. There is also a buffet type set up with "light" food and drink.

That is the description of the T pool or Thalassotherapy pool on an M class ship.

On the Century class ship, it is located in the spa and there are no table and chairs for card playing (there are a few lounge chairs). The pool is much smaller and much more powerful and there is no Aqua Spa cafe.

ah its only, money, but upfront is good. But i rather pay more upfront, and not have to drag, out the wallet to do anything. Oh well, i guess, i only gripe cause they dont really, give you an idea of what you can do, for an extra cost.

You don't have to drag out the wallet to do anything - the ship works on a cashless system - you charge things to your sign and sail account which is your room key card so you need to carry it with you anyway and settle up by credit card or cash before disembarking.

The only time when you need your wallet is for your purchases ashore.

And you can keep track of your sign and sail account via the television to see how much you are spending.

Archived