do I need a tour to do Berlin?

SparkleBee

As you know, Berlin is 3 hours from the port and time in the city is severely limited. I've read a bus is more efficient that the train to do the journey, is this true? it seems an organized tour might be the best way to use the time. what has been your experience? should we do the tour or on our own. (we are capable travels and don't rely on tours in general)

If you are planning on going to Berlin, remember its a BIG CITY and things are not always centrally located. A tour to take you to the highlights really is a must if you want to see them all.

You can do it on your own, just make sure you know where you're going and how to use the underground and trams to your destinations.

Otherwise, a nice relaxing day in the Warnemunde area is always a great option. There are fantastic things to see at the seaside, and you don't have the stress of a frenetic journey all the way to Berlin.

We did Berlin with Alla Tours last July.

Yes the drive is long, but there is usually a break about halfway.

We are very happy to have seen Berlin. Some places were awe-inspiring. Some places were very sobering.

Well worth the bus ride in my opinion.

Some from our cruise visited a concentration camp (a seperate tour).

We arrived back in Warnemunde at the same time as the train from Berlin, around 6pm. The ship was in port until 9pm.

By doing it with the bus & a tour guide, it was very effecient getting from place to place without having to worry about planning out our route, figuring out local busses & subway.

:)

308.jpg

319.jpg

337.jpg

Edited by p_mori7

did some research and am finding the majority of comments over at TripAdvisor suggest not doing the trek into Berlin. I really really want to see Berlin. just not sure what to do!

My personal opinion is that if you really want to see Berlin, then do it. I don't regret taking my long cruise day and going into Berlin. In my case, I opted to use the cruise line's "Berlin on your own" option. Due to the long distance from the port, I decided I did not want to take all of the risk of doing it on my own. However, I'm also not a fan of guided tours. I'd much rather figure out my own itinerary and then use my feet, public transit, and taxis if needed to get it done. At the time, the cruise line (NCL) offered both a train and a bus option of "Berlin on your own". Timing of both was relatively comparable. I opted for the train route since I thought that would be more fun to do. At a Berlin train station we transferred to a bus which took us into central Berlin and dropped us off at a major hotel. We were then given 6.5 hours or so to do whatever we wanted before meeting back at the same hotel for the return trip home. It was a very long day, but I saw all of the things that I wanted to see during my 6.5 hours. Of course it was whirlwind sightseeing, but Berlin is a place I may never get back to again. I'm very happy with my decision.

If you don't think you will ever be returning to Germany and this is your only chance to see Berlin, then I would absolutely take the one day tour. Berlin is a magnificent city with much history. It should not be missed, IMO.

We took the train on our own. It was easy, as quick as any other method, and cost-effective for our group of six. If you are comfortable with independent travel, I highly recommend it!

I agree with other posters that if don't foresee another opportunity to visit Berlin, it is well worth making the trek from Warnemunde.

We did the Berlin and Sachsenhausen tour with SPB. I don't regret it one bit! I agree with the previous posters--if you feel this might be your only chance to see Berlin, go see Berlin! I felt Berlin is too big to see it on your own in such a short time period, at least for our three-generational group!

Try a currywurst while you are there. Yum!:D

yes, definitely going to make it to Berlin, just not sure if we should do it on our own or with a tour. I think either way is good, no wrong answer!

Pluto_Fan, was it truly easy enough to do the train into town and see the major sites on your own?? We are fairly savvy travelers... but don't want to blow the opportunity to make the best use of our time.

Yes, we found it pretty straightforward. I had done a lot of advance research and preparation for train schedules, etc., so we knew just what we wanted to do. From the ship, it was a very short walk (under 10 minutes...probably closer to 5) to the train station. As I recall, we had to change trains at Rostock and then went straight to Berlin. For Berlin, we had prioritized what we wanted to see--of course there's not enough time to even put a large dent in all the options, but you're going to have to make those choice regardless of how you get there. Get a good guidebook and make a plan (we like Rick Steves, but he's not to everyone's taste).

Whether you do it on your own or with a tour, have a great time in Berlin!

yes, definitely going to make it to Berlin, just not sure if we should do it on our own or with a tour. I think either way is good, no wrong answer!

Pluto_Fan, was it truly easy enough to do the train into town and see the major sites on your own?? We are fairly savvy travelers... but don't want to blow the opportunity to make the best use of our time.

Hi, if you would care to tell me your ship and your day of arrival I can give you some possible choices for trains to Berlin and the amount of time you will have there.

Although the train is a good option for we residents the schedules do not always fit well with the ships arrival and departure times which results in wasted time whereas the tours, both ship and private, leave as soon as possible after arrival and get back as near as possible to departure giving the maximum time in Berlin.

I am not a fan of organised tours myself but in this case I would certainly consider the transport only option if it is offered by your ship.

Happy planning and cruising :)

Anni

Thank you, Anni. It's Royal Princess, arriving Warnemunde Thursday May 15, 7:00 am - 9:00 pm.

I really doubt we would take the ship's train because it costs $159 and to take a tour with SPB Tours it will cost $125. No brainer to take the tour in that case.

However if we could take the normal train on our own we might not only save money but get to see things we prefer. Not sure I care to just see all the buildings when what we really want to do is absorb the culture.

Thank you again! With a cruise like this, with 9 ports, there are so many decisions and plans to make.

Thank you, Anni. It's Royal Princess, arriving Warnemunde Thursday May 15, 7:00 am - 9:00 pm.

I really doubt we would take the ship's train because it costs $159 and to take a tour with SPB Tours it will cost $125. No brainer to take the tour in that case.

However if we could take the normal train on our own we might not only save money but get to see things we prefer. Not sure I care to just see all the buildings when what we really want to do is absorb the culture.

Thank you again! With a cruise like this, with 9 ports, there are so many decisions and plans to make.

Hi, you are one of the lucky ones whose ships schedule fits quite well with the trains, providing the ship is on time!

Assuming that you can be off the ship by between 7:30 and 7:45 this would be the timetable for the outward journey.

7:48 or 8:04 from Warnemünde. The former recommended as the latter gives a very short change time in Rostock.

8:33 from Rostock arriving Berlin 11:14

As you are travelling mid-week and before 9am the standard fare of 40.40euro pp. applies

The next train would involve two changes and arrival in Berlin at 12.52

For the return journey, assuming an 'onboard' time of 8:30pm, the latest train would be

4.44pm from Berlin arriving Rostock 7.23pm

7.36pm from Rostock arriving Warnemünde at 7.57pm

Once again standard fare of 40.40euro pp.

The other alternative is to take the ICE (top of the range train) from Berlin at 5.23pm direct to Warnemünde arriving 7.45pm. The standard fare for this train is 56euro pp.

The next later trains would not get you back in time for the ships sailing.

This schedule gives a maximum of 6 hours in Berlin.

Hope this helps with your planning.

Anni

PS Reading another thread I notice that you have heard that the train is hot and uncomfortable. I can assure you that this only applies to the rolling stock no longer in regular service which is chartered by the ships tours. The regular RE trains are modern double-deckers with very comfortable, open-plan seating and air-conditioning.

Edited by Travelanni

I can address this issue more intelligently in about six months after our July cruise.

Our decision was to arrange for a tour with an independent guide. We will have six in our group. Because of the size of Berlin, the number of sights, the limited time and the layers of history that make up the city, we opted for a highly rated guide to maximize our experience.

For me, there was never a question of whether we would make the Berlin excursion. In fact, I was hoping to spend several days there before the cruise, but that for several reasons did not prove possible. With the decision to see Berlin never in doubt, the question was how do we maximize our fairly limited time in the city (though in our case I am hoping to have as long as eight hours in the city).

I also have not fond of large tour groups and like to do my homework and tour on my own. But here hiring a top guide who will arrange for the transportation to and from Berlin seemed the obvious answer and worth the extra money we will be paying.

I'm almost positive I'm going to just book the thing with SPB Tours cause I think that's who I'm going to use for St. Petersburg. It seems the independent train is actually a decent idea but the cost is nearly the same as taking a tour. so, considering all I do think a tour is the best idea. I'd love to do a more custom/private version but the standard tour max is 24 people and is so low-priced I think it's a winner. thanks everyone!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, if you would care to tell me your ship and your day of arrival I can give you some possible choices for trains to Berlin and the amount of time you will have there.

Although the train is a good option for we residents the schedules do not always fit well with the ships arrival and departure times which results in wasted time whereas the tours, both ship and private, leave as soon as possible after arrival and get back as near as possible to departure giving the maximum time in Berlin.

I am not a fan of organised tours myself but in this case I would certainly consider the transport only option if it is offered by your ship.

Happy planning and cruising :)

Anni

Hi Anni,

First let me tell you my Dad was from Berlin..born in 1904, he died in 1980. My husband & I are taking a Viking River Cruise in May that will end up in Berlin. We plan on staying in Berlin an extra 2 days and I am hoping to find the street my Dad grew up on.

I have a few questions about our plans, could you email me so I can see if what we are doing is the best way? Danke:)

Tschuss

Terry

Zipcat51@Comcast.net

Ho-Ho bus is of course an option. I used "City Circle" back in 2009 but as you can see on the second picture there are other options.

P.S. Note that there is a major subway building project going on in downtown Berlin so things might be a little bit confusing along "Unter den Linden", that at the moment looks like a big trench.

Ber05.jpg

Ber07.jpg

Edited by Ultima Thule

I am German and I love Berlin. And it is always nice to see it for yourself, BUT...

It is a long distance and I would prefer the ship's tours because of this distance.

They show you the most famous places as Brandenburg Gate and so on and if there are traffic problems you will catch the ship with no problems.

Trains are not so often in time and especially if you need to change the train there are delays very often then you will miss your connecting train and this stress is not worth to have.

Berlin at your own is very good if you have some days there. If you have only a one day chance, do it with your cruise ship.:)

• 4 weeks later...
I'm almost positive I'm going to just book the thing with SPB Tours cause I think that's who I'm going to use for St. Petersburg. It seems the independent train is actually a decent idea but the cost is nearly the same as taking a tour. so, considering all I do think a tour is the best idea. I'd love to do a more custom/private version but the standard tour max is 24 people and is so low-priced I think it's a winner. thanks everyone!!!!!

SparkleBee, have been following the various threads about your upcoming Baltic cruise. We're booked for May/June 2015 and I've been researching the options. Plan to go with either SPB or Alla, most probably the former, and will be doing Berlin with the same operator. As you say the price is really good, in fact they've quoted for Stockholm and Copenhagen too. We'll be a family group of eight and I think we'd probably pay as much if we did it on our own. Please do post after your cruise telling us how it all went, would highly appreciate your input. And have a wonderful cruise, the Baltics are lovely:)