Question About A Mobility Scooter?

GranysT

My husband fell, last July 3rd, while walking backwards. Landed directly on his tailbone. After 3 days of bad backpain, I finally got him to go and get an XRay. They said nothing broken, just a bad bruise. But, he has had back pain since. It has slowly eased more and more. Now he says the pain is mostly gone, but he can only walk or stand for very short periods. Now his legs can suddenly go numb, and if he doesn't sit immediately, he can fall. He uses a cane now, for more stability. I think I should rent a mobility scooter for our cruise this April. Otherwise, I don't think he will be able to navigate the ship much. After all this.

My question is, we have booked a regular balcony cabin, on deck 7 on the Indy. Does anyone know if a mobility scooter will fit through the door of a regular cabin? Should I look into booking a handicapped cabin? I think I have read that you are not allowed to park the scooters, in the hallways?

Are handicapped cabins more expensive? Any info appreciated.

You are correct, you are not "allowed" to park scooters in the hallway. Of course this doesn't stop the inconsiderate and entitled from doing just that. I've always wanted to push one to the far end of the hall and see if they got the hint!:rolleyes:

Often times the companies that rent them have more compact models available that might well fit through the smaller door. Contact the company, they will be well versed in what your options are.

I have used "Special Needs at Sea" http://www.specialneedsatsea.com/ and been very pleased with them, but there are several other companies that provide rental scooters.

The scooter is delivered directly to your stateroom before you get there (It will fit through the door) fully charged. When you debark, you leave it in your cabin and they will pick it up.

A Handicapped Cabin is 50% bigger than a regular cabin and has a shower that you can go into on a wheel chair. They go quick as there aren't very many of them.

Please don't take this as telling you what to do... but my mom has a similar situation... She sometimes has to sit right away. She does walk ok... but she has gotten a walker with a seat that has been a lifesaver for us! We cruise a lot... and honestly using one of those scooters isn't something she's at all comfortable with. So, she uses the walker. At home she uses a cane and the walker is always close by. But on the cruise she uses the walker all the time. It folds so easily put away during dinner, etc. It stores in the stateroom easily. And, if she has to sit immediately, the seat is right there. We do get a wheel chair for embarking and debarking... because the ramps are very difficult for her to manage. Special needs will assist you in obtaining a wheel chair for getting on and off the ship. The staff does the wheeling... and I always tip well... they are so nice and helpful to my mom.... who at first resisted the wheel chair... but it makes our cruise so much better. Not to mention the people that had to wait as she tried to manage the ramps walking on board... they aren't patient...and at times almost ran her over. Now she takes the chair with a smile and we are taken up a 'back' ramp... and elevator... and no one is inconvenienced.

Also, no matter what you do, contact special needs. They are so very helpful.

Finally, we do try to get an accessible cabin. These cabins are priced exactly what the others in that category are, but are limited. We often take an inside accessible cabin, because it is all we can get. But... sacrificing the view for the added features of the cabin are well worth it. With the rails and raised toilet in those cabins mom can care for herself. Without those aids she needs assistance in the bathroom.

I hope you enjoy your cruise and are able to find a device that suits your husband.

Edited by LindaO

We use CareVacations to rent a scooter for DW. I think they will fit thru the regular balcony cabin door. But, I know for sure that they easily fit thru the door on a Grand Suite. We always arrive in the port city a day or two early. You can have the scooter delivered to your hotel, and then take it to the ship with you. (Or, as others have said, they will put it in your cabin on the ship. If it is in the cabin, you can go get it before they open the cabins up for general passenger access). Since we are usually using the van from the hotel to the ship, the valet's just pick it up and put it in the back of the van. At the end of the cruise, we leave it on the ship and they will have crew members available with wheel chairs to assist you in getting into the building and out to your transportation.

Mark

I just took a look... and it appears that if you are on the 4/20 sailing of the Independence... there are several accessible cabins still available. CALL... either your TA or RCI (whoever you booked with) and see if you can transfer to one of these cabins. It will make you and your hubby life so much easier. If you can get one of these cabins you will be so much more at ease... they really are a lifesaver for the one who needs them... but as a traveling partner... they help everyone so very much. Good luck!!

I use a scooter, and have an accessible cabin. It is such a blessing. Without it I wouldn't be able to cruise. However there is a downside to using one. When you need the elevator to go down to dinner, they are mostly full, and there's no room for a scooter. Even if you're the first person in line for the elevator, rude people cut right in front of you and once I was almost knocked off the scooter with people pushing to get on. If at all possible, use a walker with a seat. I also have one of those, and use it over the scooter whenever possible, because people tolerate the walker more than the scooter. You can also take a walker on the tender if any of your ports are tendered. All that said, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time, no matter which way you decide to go.:)

Something else to think about is table location at dinner. Since I use an electric scooter, I ask my TA to request a table near the entrance of the dining room so I don't have to walk very far after parking the scooter outside the entrance. Staff have been very kind offering an arm for assistance in walking to my table, and offer to bring my scooter to me-which they enjoy!

As far as the elevator goes, I sometimes go down to go up, or the other way around. People are generally kind, but there are some who push onto the elevator before those getting off are out of the door, which eliminates my ability to enter.

Edited by songster2

Does anyone know if a mobility scooter will fit through the door of a regular cabin?

Depends on the type of scooter required. Scooters are rented based on the scooters weight capacity , users weight and the height. If a full size or bariatric scooter is require it will not fit through the door of a standard cabin. If a light weight or midsize l scooter is required than if will most likely fit through the doorway of a standard cabin. However there will be not be sufficient floor space to operate the scooter while in the cabin.

Should I look into booking a handicapped cabin? [/Quote]

Yes it would probably be best to check if an accessible cabin is still available. Note that most people requiring an accessible book a year in advance so depending on the cruise there may not be any available.

I think I have read that you are not allowed to park the scooters, in the hallways?

Per safety Regulations scooter cannot be left out in the hallways. It clearly states on RCCL's website that assistive devices including mobility scooters must be stored and recharged in your stateroom so fire doors, corridors and elevator lobbies are kept clear for emergency evacuation. When parked throughout the ship, they must be parked out of the way to allow safe and easy access by other guests and crewmembers.

Are handicapped cabins more expensive? Any info appreciated.

Accessible cabins are no more expensive than a non-accessible cabin in the same citatory. For example an N category accessible will not be more than an N category non-accessible. However there are not accessible cabins in every category and the categories can vary by ship. So you might have to pay more depending if you have to upgrade to category that has an available cabin.

It's also important to note that if the itinerary has any tendered ports mobility scooters are not allowed on the tender unless the tender has roll-on capabilities. Also generally excursions do not have buses with accessible lifts .

One more suggestion: if your DH has never used a scooter before, you might want to go someplace local (like a mall that rents them) and try one out, first. I've seen people riding scooters on ships who had no idea what they were doing -- and they were a menace to themselves and everyone around them. When we were on the pier in Cozumel, one poor lady accidentally hit "reverse", and went right off into the drink. Fortunately, they were able to rescue her from the water -- but the scooter was reportedly a total loss! :eek:

Edited by wwcruisers

Wow, thanks so much everyone, for all the great information and suggestions. I really appreciate the help.

I think I will look into getting a rollater. That's one of those walker's with the seat attached. This is something he can use almost everywhere, and be able to sit as much as he needs to. Great idea, thanks.

Just got off Indy yesterday. We were in a balcony on deck 6 and our neighbor parked her mobility scooter in the hallway for the last 3 days of the cruise. Seemed like she was able to manuever it into her balcony cabin the first couple days, though. I would definitely call to see if an accessible cabin is available, but if not, you should be able to fit the scooter in the cabin, park it in front of the couch and still have a walking path - albeit somewhat narrow.

I hope you and your husband have a great cruise!

Just got off Indy yesterday. We were in a balcony on deck 6 and our neighbor parked her mobility scooter in the hallway for the last 3 days of the cruise. Seemed like she was able to manuever it into her balcony cabin the first couple days, though. I would definitely call to see if an accessible cabin is available, but if not, you should be able to fit the scooter in the cabin, park it in front of the couch and still have a walking path - albeit somewhat narrow.

I hope you and your husband have a great cruise!

For safety reasons the scooter should not have been left in the corridor. I usually advise to have the coffee table taken out to make more room.

I don't know if your husband qualifies... but my mom got her rollater through Medicare (she also has secondary insurance so I'm not sure how much medicare covered, but any bit helps) -- She just went to the doctor and he faxed the prescription to the pharmacy where we picked it up. Drove right there from the doctors. A little paperwork... but they handled it all. And they 'fit' her to it... adjusting the height and the brakes. It really has been a great thing for her to have. But I also have to admit it is a lifesaver for me!! And... storage under the seat is an added plus!!

Also, if when you get on the cruise your husband is having difficulty and needs a wheelchair... go straight to Guest Services. They are very helpful!!

Hope you have a WONDERFUL cruise!!

For safety reasons the scooter should not have been left in the corridor.

Yet another RCI rule that goes unenforced for the most part :(

Once the cabin attendants carts are out there along with scooters, it makes it almost impossible for someone like myself in a manual wheelchair to navigate the hallways.

I run into this problem on every cruise!

Edited by ryano

I read quickly through the comments about your question relating to use of mobility scooter. Our experience was with Special Needs At Sea one of two companies with a relationship to RCCL. The experience for my wife was wonderful and using the scooter for her first time helped her to enjoy the cruise. They were easy to work with and delivered what they promised.

RCCL eventually got us a change to an Accessible Cabin and that made the vacation perfect. Though the compact scooter would fit into the cabin it would be tight.

Finally, in terms of the how people relate to those using the scooter. Most people are very good about holding elevator doors, etc. But there were a number of people who only think what is best for them. If I would book again on RCCL I would do it in an accessible room rather than a regular passenger room.