another question on a lens

mrbill62

I have a Nikon D-3200 with a nikkor 18-200 lens.Would like to get a lens just for portraits. What would be a good lens to use? Thanks for any info

Try one of the 85mm lenses, either f/1.8 or f/1.4. If you find that "too long", try something in the 50mm variety.

You will likely prefer the working distance of the 50mm on the D3200. You will also find that the f/1.8 lens will give you great results. There are very few instances where you would shoot a normal portrait portrait at f/1.4 because of the very shallow depth of field. I have a Sigma 50mm F/1.4 and while it is sharp at its widest aperture, I usually shoot at f/2.0 or higher so I can get the eyes and the end of the nose in focus at the same time. F/1.4 depth of field is really that narrow.

Dave

I agree with the others on the 50mm. I own the Nikkor 50mm f1.8D and absolutely love this lens for portraits. For the price' date=' it can't be beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app[/quote']

I have this lens as well, only prob is that it won't auto focus with the OP's camera. They would have to get the 1.8G model for it to have the focus motor in the lens.

While some prefer a 50mm on an APS DSLR due to the crop factor, there is just no getting around the advantages of using an 85mm lens. The 85mm focal length is right at the sweet spot between perspective (wide angle) and compression (telephoto) distortion. And with a longer focal length, you can get improved background blur over the 50mm.

I have both the Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.4 and Nikon AF-S 85mm f/1.8 that I use on a D7100 (APS) and even though you may have to backup a bit with the 85mm, I much prefer it for head-shot portraiture over the 50mm.

I use the 50mm for full body shots.

I also have the Nikon AF-S 28mm f/1.8 that I use for group shots.

If you are looking to get into serious portraiture get all three prime lenses (28mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8). This would make a nice f/1.8 prime lens trifecta.

Edited by awboater

I have this lens as well, only prob is that it won't auto focus with the OP's camera. They would have to get the 1.8G model for it to have the focus motor in the lens.

Oops, you are correct, thank you for noticing that as I overlooked that the OP had the D3200. The 50mm 1.8G lens is a fantastic lens.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app