Pearl music charter questions

MermaidMary

Hello, my husband and I will be going on our first cruise on the Pearl in October (Welcome to Jamrock Reggae Cruise). I have been enjoying learning about cruising on this forum, but I am wondering just how much the charters differ from the regular cruises. Here are some questions I have (and any tips are welcome!):

Is the UDP a good idea on the charters? Would the longer dining times in the specialty restaurants cause us to miss some shows? We did sign up for the late shows (Flying Dutchmen gave us a choice of early or late). The specialty restaurants sound very appealing, but it is more important to me to attend the concerts.

Do they still have the all-white party, and is the music played the music theme of the charter (in other words, are we likely to get an all-white reggae party? That would be awesome!)

Is it easy to get into all of the concerts, or do you have to get there really early?

Where in the ship are the concerts held?

Are concerts held while the ship is in port?

Is it easy to get drinks at the concerts, or is it too hard to move through the crowd?

Thanks,

Mary

Wow...what a choice for a first cruise:eek: Full charter music cruises are very different from regular cruises...the music schedule drives everything on the ship

I may be incorrect, but I think this is the first sailing of the Reggae Cruise which means they are still working thru the logistics..I would be very engaged on social media to stay in the loop and you start receiving newsletters keeping you abreast of the schedule of concerts and activities

Based upon the type of music , each charter will have a different "flow", but it's safe to say....multiple bands playing in various venues around the ship at the same time, music will go very late in the night..lots of interaction with the artists, many theme nights (Flying Dutchman should send you a few weeks in advance, the entire week's schedule including theme night attire), days that you are in port, no concerts...there may be a late afternoon (sunset) concert while you are in port, but folks are usually back onboard by then anyway....everybody on the ship will be a Reggae fan, so you will make lots of friends..long leisure dining times and lots of rest and sleep will not be happening that week

Have a great time:)

There is no traditional ship entertainment. If there's a white party night, it's because your charter plans it. Sixthman does theme nights.

On the Rock Boat I only are in the dining room for my first lunch and a couple breakfasts. I didn't want to waste time eating dinner while missing shows. And I'm a buffet hater on normal cruises.

Thank you for the replies! I will resist buying the UDP - sounds like there will not be time. I have been wanting to try a cruise for years, but this is the first one that really got my attention, and got me to actually book (good thing I did, because it sold out quickly, and yes, this is the first sailing).

Mary

Hello, my husband and I will be going on our first cruise on the Pearl in October (Welcome to Jamrock Reggae Cruise). I have been enjoying learning about cruising on this forum, but I am wondering just how much the charters differ from the regular cruises. Here are some questions I have (and any tips are welcome!):

Is the UDP a good idea on the charters? Would the longer dining times in the specialty restaurants cause us to miss some shows? We did sign up for the late shows (Flying Dutchmen gave us a choice of early or late). The specialty restaurants sound very appealing, but it is more important to me to attend the concerts.

Do they still have the all-white party, and is the music played the music theme of the charter (in other words, are we likely to get an all-white reggae party? That would be awesome!)

Is it easy to get into all of the concerts, or do you have to get there really early?

Is it easy to get drinks at the concerts, or is it too hard to move through the crowd?

Thanks,

Mary

Mary:

My family is going on our first cruise this week, a Sixthman charter with the band Train. Here is a link to the schedule for our cruise. It'll give you a general idea of how things are scheduled on a music charter:

http://www.sailacrossthesun.com/schedule/

Looks like your cruise is being run by Flying Dutchmen, so YMMV. Here's a thread where people discussed their different experiences with Flying Dutchmen and Sixthman: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=41611757

Just guessing, but I would think a chartered concert cruise would be like a trip to Bonnaroo, a Bonnaroo that floats. Would be fun but it would be all about the music. Everything would be focused on it. A normal cruise is more like visiting an all inclusive resort that floats (keeping in mind that drinks and some things are not included). Normal cruise, relaxation and gentle fun. Concert cruise, action fun, fun, fun.

I am a several time repeat offender on the Legendary Rhythm and Blues Cruise. The main difference I can see from LRBC and sixthman cruises is there is no restrictions on going to shows on LRBC. It is like a festival on water, you just go where you want, when you want. But some things will be the same. I will answer what I can below in bold.

Go with the flow to the music. You will find there will be a break in the schedule around 6ish. Musicians have to eat too. Either book a speciality restaurant the day of or before or head to the MDR. Some folks will only eat in the cafeteria or where they can get a pizza slice or burger. The MDRs may not be busy at all.

The ship is taken over by the charter, so no regular entertainment on the ship. The spa will be running as per usual though. The charter will do theme nights, they will probably be way cooler than the white hot party ;) And remember, what happens on the ship - stays on the ship :D

Folks will move about at their own pace. Some will sit, others (like myself) are always front and centre at the stage. On a reggae cruise, I personally would be up dancing the whole time. If you want to be in front of the stage, yes you may want to get there a few minutes early.

They will be held on the pool deck, in the main showroom, probably in the observation lounge and maybe one or two other places. There may be workshops going on (like for song writing, or music history, or to play a particular instrument). Pretty much the whole ship is used.

Not usually. They may start before everyone is back on board though, for example, boarding time is 4:30 in port, the music may start up at 4:00.

The reason the ships love the fun music charters so much is we drink like fishes. They will have all hands on deck to serve the crowds. Not just bar staff. They will recruit the waiters to work the shows, especially on the hot days around the pool deck. Believe me, the ship wants to sell those drinks. If the sixthman charters are anything like the LRBC, they set up extra bars to serve those thirsty concert goers. Best part, you only have to wobble back to your cabin!

Thanks,

Mary

You do realize, once you have done a really great music cruise, you may never go on a snooze cruise again? Have fun!! :D

The only "normal" activities that both share are going thru security, safety drill, getting off the ship:eek:

If your first cruise ever, is a well run music charter, you will never be able to go on a "regular" cruise..you would be bored out of your mind :)

The only "normal" activities that both share are going thru security, safety drill, getting off the ship:eek:

If your first cruise ever, is a well run music charter, you will never be able to go on a "regular" cruise..you would be bored out of your mind :)

AKA a "snooze cruise" ;)

Thank you all for the replies - every single reply helped to chase away my winter blues! Kchoya, I hope you and your family have a wonderful cruise - I enjoyed looking at the newsletter and found it very helpful to see where and when they schedule things. Looks like a great cruise! And sun~, thank you for the answers to each of my questions - I do like being front and center of the stage, and I also like to dance at reggae concerts.

Mary

The best part is that everyone on the ship shares your same passion for the music...you will make tons of new friends all week...the :)flow:) of your cruise will be very hectic, so make sure you schedule :cool:down time:cool: every afternoon to rest so you can stay up late and last the entire cruise

Rule of thumb...very accessible...but there is an understanding that if they are with their families or eating, there is a respect shown to give them their space...most of the

stars will be with you the entire cruise, so you will have ample opportunity to interact with them...there are Q&A sessions scheduled in the atrium on full days at sea, CD signing & photo ops...make sure you are camera ready and have someone to take your pic with your favorite artists

You will see them all around the ship...one of the best parts is artists love to sit in with other artists so you will be treated to combinations and jam sessions that you would not see on land

The artists enjoy being with their fans as much as you enjoy being around them;)

Also, some music charters have assigned seats or ticketed shows. Others are a free-for-all. Even Sixthman has different set ups depending on the charters. Cayamo has ticketed shows with assigned seats in the Stadust Theater and everything else is open to all. Whereas, the Rock Boat has no ticketing and all shows in all venues are open to all.