Favorite and Least Favorite Ship

mander_44

have been on all classes, of ships, but the Oasis class, but that will change this fall(maybe) I love different ships for many reasons, not just size. If I had to pick a overall favorite right now it would be the Freedom class.

DISCLAIMER: Haven't sailed on all of them, so I can only report on what I know to date. Additional experiences could cause this list to change.

FAVORITE: Serenade to date, but I'd say any Radiance Class Ship. I like the more simple elegance and intimacy of the smaller ships.

LEAST FAVORITE: To date, Freedom, for the same reasons someone else mentioned. The Freedom class is simply not a significant step-up from the Voyager class ships, but I found Freedom to be far more crowded at main events on board (such as food events on the Promenade or the 70s party) and trying to get an elevator was nearly impossible.

I won't rate the Oasis class having not sailed on it, but I honestly don't see myself ever booking that class. I prefer port-intensive cruises and the Oasis class ships have extremely limited itineraries. Additionally, if I felt Freedom too large, I can't imagine not feeling Oasis too large.

Norwegian Majesty...was ready for the junk yard, and I sailed on it the last year before retired...and don't really have any memorable lovely spots on the ship except the MDR was in good condition.

Crown Princess was and is so far the prettiest ship all around in my opinion that I've been on. Great selection of pools, great promenade, and the "epicenter" of the ship was stunning...gold, marble, glass, very classy and grand. Had some design issues with getting around the ship easily...however, definite favorite aesthetics...

P.S. I understand other posts regarding the Oasis. Again in my opinion, it is an absolute cool experience...downside is many venues do not have ocean views. Even the MDR if you are doing "anytime" dining..is on the 2nd floor. Ocean views are blocked by the lifeboats...just weird design...I know why they did it..I get it...on the flip side...lots of venues that are fun, tons of activities, energy and grandeur. Promenade deck is 80% blocked by ocean views because of the life boats too. Top decks you can see all the ocean you want.

We haven't sailed on every class, only the Radiance and Freedom Class. With that we give our nod to the Radiance Class. As the Op stated, what is our favorite and least favorite, so we all should be able to give our reasons why we like or dislike a class. We may not agree with that person but the wonderful thing about cruising, there is a class, ship, location on a ship that suits us all, making our cruise enjoyable.

Favorite: Nordic Empress. I adored my trip on this little gem. Everything about it, the size, the crew, the ship, the destination (Bermuda). This cruise remains my all time favorite.

Least Favorite: Sovereign. Despite adoring the Majesty, this ship just came off lackluster overall for me.

Sentimental Favorite: Mariner. It's where I met my BF.

Like someone else, I cruised on the Oasis expecting to hate it, but didn't. It didn't capture my heart, but I would sail again on her or the Allure in a heartbeat.

Favorites: Navigator, Legend and Soveriegn. I sailed the Navigator in 06 after a long absence from cruising. The staff was wonderful and it was my first Voyager class ship. I sailed the Legend when she was brand new in Alaska. The staff was awesome. The ship was beautiful! It was the perfect size for that type of voyage. Still very memorable almost 20 years later. We were on the Soveriegn in 91 when she was still the gold standard in the Caribbean. The Monarch hadn't started sailing, yet and the. Majesty was still being built in France. The Sovereign revolutionized the industry and she will always be my favorite.

Least Favorite: Freedom and the Adventure. The Freedom just felt a little crowded to me and the staff didn't seem very friendly. Granted, this was 6 years ago, so I'm sure things have changed. I just wasn't impressed. Also, the staff seemed a little surly on the Adventure.

Haven't tried a Radience, Vision or Oasis class, yet.

Sentimental favorites: Nordic Prince and Sun Viking. Sailed them multiple times in the early 80's and had the best vacations ever.

Of the current ships, Radiance and Splendour. Sailed them both several times and have great memories.

I don't have an RCI ship that I don't like. The two worst ships I have sailed on are Tahitian Princess and Sky Princess. Really poorly designed, but the itineraries made up for any deficiencies.

Oasis Class isn't my favorite but why such a hater? We had a blast on that ship as well as the Jewel and Brilliance. No need to hate on other people's preferences.

The very premise of this thread is to name your favorite and your least favorite ship "and why." Don't think anyone needs to be offended if one of their favs is not a fav of someone else. :)

Agreed, geez!! :(

Least favorite Allure and Oasis. Not going to say why. Don't want to be flamed by their cheerleaders.

Would be interested to hear your "why", but obviously you are correct. But then, in my short time here on CC, you're likely to get flamed by someone for just about anything you post! Flamers will flame...

Quite a few list Oasis/Allure as favorites, and quite a few also list them as least favorites. So the reasons are important, to help one try to figure out which group they might most likely fall into!

DISCLAIMER: Haven't sailed on all of them, so I can only report on what I know to date. Additional experiences could cause this list to change.

FAVORITE: Serenade to date, but I'd say any Radiance Class Ship. I like the more simple elegance and intimacy of the smaller ships.

LEAST FAVORITE: To date, Freedom, for the same reasons someone else mentioned. The Freedom class is simply not a significant step-up from the Voyager class ships, but I found Freedom to be far more crowded at main events on board (such as food events on the Promenade or the 70s party) and trying to get an elevator was nearly impossible.

I won't rate the Oasis class having not sailed on it, but I honestly don't see myself ever booking that class. I prefer port-intensive cruises and the Oasis class ships have extremely limited itineraries. Additionally, if I felt Freedom too large, I can't imagine not feeling Oasis too large.

Your thoughts are similar to mine.

I even felt the same way about Oasis and only booked it the first time because a friend wanted us to go with him for his birthday. I never had any desire at all to go on a "monster ship". That was last May. We've been on her twice more already. It's nothing like Freedom class and so easy to never feel as crowded. There are times when you can have Central Park to yourself. We've always been able to find a seat in the Rising Tide bar whenever we want to go for a ride. The only place we ever find crowded is Chops. And that's easy to avoid with all the other dining venues. It's just not a ship conducive to establishing relationships but even that can be done with a little effort. It's unusually easy to get on and off the ship. Or course that could depend on the times you are there.

If you ever come up with a reason to try Oasis class ships, you'll probably like them and be pleasantly surprised. It's still not my favorite - but very likable. :)

Sentimental favorites: Nordic Prince and Sun Viking. Sailed them multiple times in the early 80's and had the best vacations ever.

Of the current ships, Radiance and Splendour. Sailed them both several times and have great memories.

I don't have an RCI ship that I don't like. The two worst ships I have sailed on are Tahitian Princess and Sky Princess. Really poorly designed, but the itineraries made up for any deficiencies.

Nordic Prince was my very first RCCL cruise, also in the early 80's! :) Was also on Song of Norway back then, which I just read a couple months ago has been sold for scrap. :(

The way I understand "least favorite" doesn't mean we don't like it. It certainly doesn't mean "I hate it". There is a difference.

OP asked about least favorite RCI ship - so other brands don't count.

Gina

You're absolutely correct on both counts. So, my lest favorite ship would be Monarch, but it didn't stop me from sailing it twice.:D

I think "hate" is a strong term to use for the displeasure I expressed with Oasis, I cruised her soon after launch, and sorry, but she wasn't my favorite. The reason, I think, is that even though she was supposed to be staffed with top people from other ships, they did not have their act together, and were not up to RC standards in many areas, especially MTD - things like being asked to join people at tables where they were already eating their entrees.

We started cruising about 10 years ago, and to be honest, pretty much liked the way things were done at that time - what I guess would be called traditional cruising.

The problem is that to me Oasis represents the evolution of RC cruising- try to cram so many on a ship that only the same few ports can be visited, after a while, why get off at the ports, its better on the ship. I'm afraid its a step in the direction of why move the ship and travel, when all the theme-park attractions are right onboard. Just sorry to see all vestiges of "old" style cruising disappear - they are new ships for a new generation of passengers with new attitudes.

I respect and understand your opinion but I thought you were being a little harsh in your original comment. I guess it was just me. My apologies. Thanks for following up with your specific concerns.

Nordic Prince was my very first RCCL cruise, also in the early 80's! :) Was also on Song of Norway back then, which I just read a couple months ago has been sold for scrap. :(

Nordic Prince was also our first cruise on RCCL, back in 1980. It was a 14 cruise and it's the one we reminisce about the most. The Song of Norway was the pride of the fleet back in those days. I couldn't wait to cruise on her. We did a b2b out of San Juan on the Song and Sun Viking. I was disappointed with the Song and much preferred the Sun Viking.

We really enjoyed the Freedom. Sitting at the Bull and Bear, people watching. Dw would walk over to Sorrentos for a slice or 2 of pizza. I would go to cafe promenade for cookies. Staff was great. Ship in great shape.

The other ships have been great as well but Freedom just seemed special

I have sailed on all the classes of RCI. I like the Freedom class the best followed by Radiance, Oasis, Voyager, Vision, and Sovereign. Have Quantum scheduled so my list could change. I would sail any ship again for the right price.

This thread is a perfect example of how we all view. Things through different glasses. It's great to read.

Great quote:).. we should repeat this quote on many threads.

I'm a HUGE Voyager class fan. I find the ship just perfect for me, with just enough of the WOW (promenade, studio B/ice show, sports deck, helipad, open solarium, 3 tier MDR, etc).

I was surprisingly disappointed after reading and respecting so many opinions here on CC regarding my first ever cruise last year on the Radiance Class (the Radiance itself). I feel it's a very small pool for number of passengers, 2 tier MDR, over-sized lounge that the seating outer fringes were never ever used as way too far from the dance floor/quest/etc, no promenade, and a very poor (I feel) sports deck area. The open rear of the ship past Rita's was the most amazing part of the ship. I guess in colder itineraries (like Alaska) and if wish to sit most of the day relaxing looking out a window, then yes Radiance with all it's glass and views must be excellent for that purpose. I personally quite like Vision Class also!! (and very surprisingly so after being on Freedom, Liberty and Oasis the last 3 years).

Freedom is our favorite!

Oasis was our least. Not because she isn't an amazing ship, but because she doesn't have the accommodations we need. :confused:

By accommodations do you mean staterooms? I am curious about this as Oasis has all the staterooms of the other RCI class ships plus some in addition that are unique to Oasis class. Or do you mean some other type of accommodations other than staterooms? What would Freedom have, which you mention as your favorite, that Oasis does not have?

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Favorite - Freedom class

Least Favorite - Oasis. My dd loved Oasis though. I'm not sure if it was the ship or just that trip. We liked some of the features but others I was not happy about (For one, Adventure Ocean is too small for that many pax).

I would go again, but it was my least favorite.

Nordic Prince was also our first cruise on RCCL, back in 1980. It was a 14 cruise and it's the one we reminisce about the most. The Song of Norway was the pride of the fleet back in those days. I couldn't wait to cruise on her. We did a b2b out of San Juan on the Song and Sun Viking. I was disappointed with the Song and much preferred the Sun Viking.

Never made it on the Sun Viking. I think when I cruised on Nordic Prince and Song of Norway, the pride of the fleet was Song of America - a ship that some said was "way too big" at that point! :) Never made it on that one either.

The way I understand "least favorite" doesn't mean we don't like it. It certainly doesn't mean "I hate it". There is a difference.

OP asked about least favorite RCI ship - so other brands don't count.

Gina

Oh, RCI ship, I said Carnival Magic.

Sorry, Rhapsody, you're the new loser.

Favorite: Allure - because she offers such a diverse and amazing experience.

Least Favorite: Enchantment - because when they stretched her and added more cabins it created inadequate public spaces. Also, the crew is not friendly and sometimes rude.

ONLY MY OPINION

Never made it on the Sun Viking. I think when I cruised on Nordic Prince and Song of Norway, the pride of the fleet was Song of America - a ship that some said was "way too big" at that point! :) Never made it on that one either.

Our youngest daughter always claimed that the Song of America was the last ship with a true Viking Crown Lounge, it was on the funnel and you had to enter it by outside stairs. It was also the first, and only, VCL that wrapped 360 degrees around the funnel.