Tauranga entertains with Parade of Cruise ships

Tauranga hosted 3 ships again today , 10 Feb 2014 , Diamond Princess, Dawn Princess and Seabourn Odyssey. They all left at 6pm putting on a great show for the locals. What a wonderful evening to head to Pilot Bay and watch them leave.

10tau1_zps1a825100.jpg

10tau4c_zpsa4b3411a.jpg

10tau5_zps8c40c81e.jpg

10tau7_zpsd3269444.jpg

10tau6_zps69306fea.jpg

10tau9_zps9355d17f.jpg

Wonder why they all left at 6pm?

It reminds me of everyone getting kicked out of the pub at 6 o'clock closing time back in the old days! (I just remmember that ;))

It certainly would have been an impressive sight

Edited by Bodogbodog

Wonder why they all left at 6pm?

It reminds me of everyone getting kicked out of the pub at 6 o'clock closing time back in the old days! (I just remmember that ;))

It certainly would have been an impressive sight

In Tauranga you ... go with the flow.

The tide dictates arrival and departure times .

I bet there were thousands to see the ships sailaway. There were when we were on QE last year. The Captain sounded the horn in reponse to the crowd as a thankyou to them and the city. Everyone was whistling to shore and visa versa.

Jill:)

Edited by Gold Coast Cruisers

The tide dictates arrival and departure times .

Thanks for clarifying and adding to my cruising knowledge

When we are there in November on Crystal Symphony (V4226) we are down to arrive at 6am and depart at 9pm but its specifically tagged a "Arrival and departure times will depend on tidal restrictions" - and looking at it that's the only NZ port, out of Auckland, Tauranga, Napier, Wellington, Picton, Akaroa and Dunedin, listed as tide dependent

Thanks for clarifying and adding to my cruising knowledge

When we are there in November on Crystal Symphony (V4226) we are down to arrive at 6am and depart at 9pm but its specifically tagged a "Arrival and departure times will depend on tidal restrictions" - and looking at it that's the only NZ port, out of Auckland, Tauranga, Napier, Wellington, Picton, Akaroa and Dunedin, listed as tide dependent

I dont know the exact reason why it is so tide dependant as once inside the harbour there is plenty of deep water to manouvre in. If you look at the pics above you can follow Diamond Princess as she moved up the harbur, turned , under her own power, and then headed out to sea. She had plenty of room and plenty of water. I think it may be due to the channel they have to negoiate to get in and around the Mount. They sail pretty close to the shore and the channel at that point is not very wide.

Perhaps someone with more information on the Port may be able to add to our knowledge. The Port of Tauranga is actually the biggest port in NZ and it still has heaps of room to expand.