Hotels in Tampa

NJLVW

Hi all. I need some help. Once again going out of Tampa. It will be for January 2015. I do have alot of time to research. The planner that I am I need to book a hotel far in advance. Anyway, this year we stayed in Disney and had VIP pick us up. Great service. Here is my question. Does anyone know and can suggest hotels within the area of where the port is located. Hopefully with an area where there are restaurants. I tried to look online but because I do not know the area I am not sure I am looking at the proper hotels. I checked out the Hampton Inn in Ybor City. Looks ok. Anyone with any experience? Not sure where Ybor City is or the hotel compared to say the Waterside? Not sure where that one is either but seems to be the closest to the port. Although, even this far out it is extremely expensive. So, anyone with any knowledge I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

Norma

Edited by NJLVW

Besides Ybor City -- great dining and nightlife, but it can get crazy and scary late at night on weekends -- focus on the Westshore area (near the TPA airport) with a mall and lots of dining options nearby, and the Rocky Point area -- some with a water view and shopping dining options in the area (most of the hotels there offer packages including both airport and port shuttles, and will take you to and pick you up from shopping and dining within a2-3 mile radius).

Avoid the area near the staduim, unless you are into strip clubs. :rolleyes:

Google maps is your friend -- you shoud be able to see where these areas are located in relation to the port.

Thank you. Do you happen to know by name any hotels to reccomend? I was trying to figure out a map before posting. I just do not know where the port is in conjuction to any of the areas. Any tips on how to find out where I would be going?

The Westshore area is near the airport and about 4-5 miles from the port. It is around $25 for a cab from the hotel to the port. Most hotels in the area will have a free airport shuttle. The Westshore area has 2 malls in the area and many restaurants to choose from. All of the big chains have hotels in the area.

The port are is in the downtown area. There are fewer hotels here and it will be more expensive. The hotels will not have an airport shuttle but may have a port shuttle. Hotels in this are are Sheraton River Walk, Embassy Suites, Hilton and Marriott.

Hi all. I need some help. Once again going out of Tampa. It will be for January 2015. I do have alot of time to research. The planner that I am I need to book a hotel far in advance. Anyway, this year we stayed in Disney and had VIP pick us up. Great service. Here is my question. Does anyone know and can suggest hotels within the area of where the port is located. Hopefully with an area where there are restaurants. I tried to look online but because I do not know the area I am not sure I am looking at the proper hotels. I checked out the Hampton Inn in Ybor City. Looks ok. Anyone with any experience? Not sure where Ybor City is or the hotel compared to say the Waterside? Not sure where that one is either but seems to be the closest to the port. Although, even this far out it is extremely expensive. So, anyone with any knowledge I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

Norma

We like the Westin at Ybor. If fit you could walk to check-in. But do not take a taxi until 1 hour before check-in, because there is only one way in and gets congested, with a ride of 5 minutes taking 45 and the fare $ rising as you just sit in a queue.

The area near the port is the Downtown Tampa area. The closest hotel to the port is the Tampa Marroitt Waterside, only 2 blocks away. High floors facing the port may get you a great view of the ship coming in on cruise day.

Embassey Suites is across the street and again, high floor facing the port would be a nice room.

My favorite is the Residence Suites Downtown. No particular reason, just great service all of the time. No view of the port however.

The downtown hotels are either on or very near the trolley line that will take you around the area. If you wanted to visit Ybor, it is only a mile away.

There are restaurants either right in the hotel or in the immediate area.

Here is a link to a map and a list of the Downtown hotels. The blue ship symbol will indicate how close you are to the port while the airplane symbol indicates hotels that are near the airport- either Westshore or

RockyPoint Island. http://www.downtowntampahotels.com

Westshore- a corporate-business area that has some shopping and restaurants within walking distance. Some hotels will offer a cruise pkg that may incl a shuttle to/from the port.

RockyPoint Island- hotels that are on the Bay, great views, some restaurants but no shopping that is withing walking distance.

Both RockyPoint and Westshore are about 15 min from the port.

This is just my own opinion, but I would avoid any hotels in the Tampa Stadium area and the Fairgrounds area. Some chain hotels mixed in wtih some seedy ones. The stadium area has lots of strip clubs -- enough said...... and the Fairgrounds area is directly off of I-4. lots of big-rig trucks and noise. Nothing against truckers but sometimes lots of noise out in the parking lots.... plus just not a nice general area to begin with.

If you have any questions about a particular hotel, I will try to help you as best I know. If not, there are a few other TampaBay posters on this board that also have good local knowledge.

To give you a general idea of what Tampa has to offer, here is link to some other Tampa Cruise Pkg hotels.

http://www.parkingstay.com/p/tampa.html

Good Luck,

Cari H.

Edited by FlaGrl4Evr

Thank you. Do you happen to know by name any hotels to reccomend? I was trying to figure out a map before posting. I just do not know where the port is in conjuction to any of the areas. Any tips on how to find out where I would be going?

Chase Suites and the Hampton Inn in the Rocky Point area are often suggested on these boards. Good luck! :)

Thank you everyone for all this information. Very helpful. The Hampton Inn in Ybor is this one in a good area? I am more interested in finding a quiet hotel close enough to the port. The shuttles do not matter to me as I can always find a taxi. We will not have a car so also need to be able to get to a restaurant. Really thinking of coming in 2 days ahead. I do not want to be stuck in a hotel for the time we are there. Nor do I want to worry about leaving our things in the room. All suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you,

Norma

If you have any questions about a particular hotel, I will try to help you as best I know. If not, there are a few other TampaBay posters on this board that also have good local knowledge.

To give you a general idea of what Tampa has to offer, here is link to some other Tampa Cruise Pkg hotels.

http://www.parkingstay.com/p/tampa.html

Good Luck,

Cari H.

Hi,

I am also taken advantage of this provided information in this thread.

I am considering the Quality Inn -Airport for a one night precruise dec 5. 2014. Probably will be a late arrival from the airport and 10 /10:30 departure to the port for Vision cruise. So I will not need much from the hotel except a safe area, clean room, comfortable bed free of bugs and clean bathroom with clean towels. Publix and some restaurant close by would be a plus.

Would this Quality Inn ( Quality Inn Airport

1020 S. Dale Mabry, Tampa, Fl ) meet my needs or should I look someplace else ?

Thank you.

Edited by wieslaw

Highly recommend Hyatt Place, Westshore. Stayed day before and day after cruise. Complimentary shuttle to and from airport, booked a package deal with transfer to and from ship. International mall within walking distance or shuttle will take and pick you up. Huge mall with both stores and restaurants. There is a Longhorn, Olive Garden(just opened), Starbucks, and Ruth Chris right out the front door. Complimentary breakfast had a good selection of both hot and cold. Staff very helpful and friendly.

Hi,

I am also taken advantage of this provided information in this thread.

I am considering the Quality Inn -Airport for a one night precruise dec 5. 2014. Probably will be a late arrival from the airport and 10 /10:30 departure to the port for Vision cruise. So I will not need much from the hotel except a safe area, clean room, comfortable bed free of bugs and clean bathroom with clean towels. Publix and some restaurant close by would be a plus.

Would this Quality Inn ( Quality Inn Airport

1020 S. Dale Mabry, Tampa, Fl ) meet my needs or should I look someplace else ?

Thank you.

You will be fine for one night at this hotel. It is on South Dale Mabry Hwy, which is about halfway between the airport and port--- give or take.

I have not stayed here but driven by several times. It is a remodeled hotel that is the older style drive-up to the room type, but appears to be in good condition. Based on posts from other CC members, it seems to offer a good cruise pkg and there have been no negatives mentioned on this board.

The fact that there is a Publix and restaurants within walking distance is certainly a plus.

You can always check TripAdvisor to see what other reviewers have said, but for one night and IMHO, I would go for it...... especially if the price was right.

Have fun,

Cari H.

Edited by FlaGrl4Evr

Thank you everyone for all this information. Very helpful. The Hampton Inn in Ybor is this one in a good area? I am more interested in finding a quiet hotel close enough to the port. The shuttles do not matter to me as I can always find a taxi. We will not have a car so also need to be able to get to a restaurant. Really thinking of coming in 2 days ahead. I do not want to be stuck in a hotel for the time we are there. Nor do I want to worry about leaving our things in the room. All suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you,

Norma

Ybor City is known for it's Cuban Culture. It offers many ethnic restaurants, shops and such. There are some bars and clubs that can get rather lively at night, especially on Fri and Sat evenings.

Here are twolinks to help give you more information on the Ybor area. http://www.yborcityonline.com/sthings-to-do/ybor-city-attractions

http://www.ybor.org/

The hotel is near the trolley line that will take you into downtown Tampa where you can visit the Aquarium and such.

The hotel is apx. 1 mile from the port.

The hotel gets good reviews and ratings and you do not have to venture out at night if you are not into the club scene. There is a lot to see just walking around in the daytime.

Just my own opinion, but if I were to visit Ybor, this is the hotel that I would stay at.

Have a great time.

Cari H.

Edited by FlaGrl4Evr

I am very interested in this thread as well. We sail out of tampa Feb 2015. I am also a little confused about the area. I've looked at priceline a little but am unsure of which areas I want to bid on.

There is a sticky at the top of this board with winning bid info, but you are better off doing your homework on locations, bidding strategy, and recent winning bids at www.betterbidding.com

........, I would go for it...... especially if the price was right.

Have fun,

Cari H.

Thank you Cari, I do appreciate the information and your help. The rooms run about 90 per night ( on my date) and that seems reasonable to me, they offer free shutle from airport and I am gussing taxi to the port will be close to 25 per taxi. So that hotel will do what I need. The publix and a place to find dinner close by is a plus.

Have a wonderful day.

Edited by wieslaw

Ybor City is known for it's Cuban Culture. It offers many ethnic restaurants, shops and such. There are some bars and clubs that can get rather lively at night, especially on Fri and Sat evenings.

Here are twolinks to help give you more information on the Ybor area. http://www.yborcityonline.com/sthings-to-do/ybor-city-attractions

http://www.ybor.org/

The hotel is near the trolley line that will take you into downtown Tampa where you can visit the Aquarium and such.

The hotel is apx. 1 mile from the port.

The hotel gets good reviews and ratings and you do not have to venture out at night if you are not into the club scene. There is a lot to see just walking around in the daytime.

Just my own opinion, but if I were to visit Ybor, this is the hotel that I would stay at.

Have a great time.

Cari H.

Thank you so much. This was the info I needed. The Waterside (where I really want to stay ) is almost twice the cost. If I am going to do twice the cost I will go back to Disney. :D Which of course is another option. I am so glad I have 10+ months to decide. :eek:

Thank you everyone for all your opinions. I do appreciate it.

Norma

Another question? Does anyone know anything about the Sheraton Westshore near the airport? How far from the port? Anything close by we can walk to for dinner? Sorry for so many questions just want to book smart. Thanx again..:D

Norma

Another question? Does anyone know anything about the Sheraton Westshore near the airport? How far from the port? Anything close by we can walk to for dinner? Sorry for so many questions just want to book smart. Thanx again..:D

Norma

Sheraton Westshore is right near the airport and I-275. - Lot of corporate offices and other hotels in this immediate area. There is a resturant on site plus 2 or 3 others that would be walkable. It is about a 15 min ride to the port. Apx $25 for a taxi. Not too sure about any stores that you could walk to, but most of the Sheratons will offer you a complimentry shuttle ride within a certain radius of the hotel.

Cari H.

Or the Sheraton Riverwalk?

The Sheraton Riverwalk sits on the Hillsborough River and is less than one mile from the port of Tpa. It is convenient if you want to do a few things in the area such as the Aquarium or such. They also have a courtesy shuttle within a small area surrounding the hotel.

There is a restaurant on site and one maybe two that would be walkable.

Cari H.

I highly recommend the Springhill Suites Tampa Airport Westshore.

Things we liked:

Free airport shuttle to hotel.

Free courtesy shuttle within 3 mile radius so we could get soda/wine and go out to eat. Might I recommend Lee Roy Selmon's and the fried green tomatos!!!! YUM!

Free breakfast with the basics, waffles, etc.

Rooms that could accommodate 5 adults w/ 2 beds and a sofa sleeper in separate area.

Outstanding staff from start to finish.

Shuttle to port for around $8 a person...sign up when you check in.

Nice pool area.

Free parking while on cruise for our friend that drove down.

Norma

Anyone know anything about either of the Sheraton's? Westshore or Riverwalk?

Thank you again...