Wine Question

MAF23

One cavet - make sure the wine bottle is empty (would it be any other way)

when gifting it to a crew member to be rewarded with the gratuity !

Regarding wine and beer NCL makes it real convenient to enjoy these drinks.

Just wish they were more liberal in their hard liquor policy although ordering

a bottle of hooch @ $80.00 plus dollars is still better than bar service by the

individual drink. Wish I could bring my own specialty hard liquor on for a

corkage type fee that does not sink a cruise ship pleasures. In most cases

would pay up to $25 a bottle for hard liquor of my choice and still come out

under the $80 beverage/bottle set up that NCL charges. Aye matey almost

makes me want to be a pirate !

Edited by don't-use-real-name

Thanks everyone for all the great information. We are sailing on the Jade on 31st May. I wasn't going to worry about taking wine on-board because I thought it was limited to 2 bottles and not worth the hassle. Now that I know the whole process I will definitely take my own wine. For me it is worth it to be able to drink my own choice of wine.

Happy Cruising:)

There are no wine glasses or cork screws in non-suite cabins by default (unless one has also gotten a bottle of wine through NCL delivered to cabin) but the room steward will provide glasses and opener if asked. In regular cabins there are normally only two normal drinking glasses by the ice, full suites have more different glassware, wine classes included.

Edited by Demonyte

So if I bring wine and want to drink it in my room, once I have followed the correct procedure (pay the fee and get the sticker), the room attendant will bring wine glasses and open the bottle for me? Just want to make sure I have this right.

Your room steward will bring you glasses if you ask, and will open your bottle. If they are good then they will keep the glasses refreshed (I've never automatically had wine glasses in the room outside of a suite).

However, my suggestion is to take your own corkscrew and if your steward hasn't left you any glasses just pick some up from a bar. The bar staff will happily give you some.

Corkage is the term given to the charge, but there is no requirement for them to actually remove the cork. If you don't want to be hanging around then just do it yourself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So if I bring wine and want to drink it in my room, once I have followed the correct procedure (pay the fee and get the sticker), the room attendant will bring wine glasses and open the bottle for me? Just want to make sure I have this right.

Nope. Wine glasses will be provided for you as well as a corkscrew. Your cabin steward will also wash the glasses daily.

Nope. Wine glasses will be provided for you as well as a corkscrew. Your cabin steward will also wash the glasses daily.

Certainly doesn't happen automatically.

I've never been supplied with a corkscrew (never asked for one, as I have my own). Some cabin stewards have supplied glasses, some haven't. I can only recall one time that the steward did it without being asked.

Certainly doesn't happen automatically.

I've never been supplied with a corkscrew (never asked for one, as I have my own). Some cabin stewards have supplied glasses, some haven't. I can only recall one time that the steward did it without being asked.

Has happened to us on every one of our NCL cruises. We bring along several wine openers anyway but was nice to find them in the mini bar. And if not there, the cabin steward would bring one. My advice is to always bring one along so you will have it.

• 7 months later...
If you have any question regarding Ncl just fire away...we are ( most of us ;) ) pleasant people.

Welcome to the Ncl community...you will never go back to ordinary cruising....this is freestyle :)

...do whatever, whenever.....

This is why I LOVE Ncl !!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Thanks for the welcome, this will be my first cruise with NCL and have a question on the bring aboard liquor and beverage policy. On CCL we were allowed to bring the bottle of wine and 12 pack of beverage on the carry on, I read the NCL policy but don't see anything regarding cans or bottle of beverage. We usually bring two 12 packs of spring water when boarding at the home port and don't know if that is permitted on NCL., does anyone knows?

Thanks for the welcome, this will be my first cruise with NCL and have a question on the bring aboard liquor and beverage policy. On CCL we were allowed to bring the bottle of wine and 12 pack of beverage on the carry on, I read the NCL policy but don't see anything regarding cans or bottle of beverage. We usually bring two 12 packs of spring water when boarding at the home port and don't know if that is permitted on NCL., does anyone knows?

You can bring on as many bottles of wine as you want, subject to a $15 corkage fee. That fee is payable regardless of where you drink it.

Soft drinks are free to bring on, and I believe there is no limit.

Royal Caribbean have just abandoned their corkage fee, is there any chance Norwegian will follow suit? Preferably before a week on Saturday when we join the Jade in Venice.

BUT - they have a 2 bottle limit.

Chances of NCL changing their policy soon? Very, very slim. Just my opinion.

AND - many folks prefer the NCL policy with unlimited bottles anyways.

You are welcome to bring unlimited amounts of soft drinks, bottled water, juices and non-alcoholic mixers.

I understand that I can bring up to 2 bottles of wine per cabin and that there is a corking fee. My friends brought a few bottles on the last cruise and I saw how security logged the bottles and marked them with a sticker. Once they were brought to dinner, the waiter charged the fees, etc. My questions is, if I consume my bottle of wine in my cabin, how does NCL know to charge me? Not trying to skip passed paying a fee, just wondering how they know.

Yes, this is an old post from February. In case somebody new reads the first post, but not some of those along the way, IT IS WRONG!

You pay corking fee upon boarding. (actually added to your account).

You do not pay when you get to the dining room.

You pay no matter where you drink it.

There is no limit to the number of bottles.

Yes, this is an old post from February. In case somebody new reads the first post, but not some of those along the way, IT IS WRONG!

You pay corking fee upon boarding. (actually added to your account).

You do not pay when you get to the dining room.

You pay no matter where you drink it.

There is no limit to the number of bottles.

Maybe the confusion is because of the charge on the account showing as a charge from the restaurant instead of a charge as a "corkage fee" for the wine. How does the charge show up on the account?

This is why I love CC. We almost always bring some wine, but never knew that staff get gratuity based on stickers they turn in.

Ask when you board where the designated storage place is, so you can drop off your wine carrier while waiting for access to your cabin.

BTW, we also receive an NCL corkscrew when we pay corkage fee. Our last cruise in September, we brought home 3. If you want one, come to cabin #10500:)

And when the waiter REMOVES the sticker, he is keeping it to claim the gratuity included in the corkage fee..

So if you somehow get a bottle of wine aboard without buying a sticker, you don't have to hide it in your cabin. Open it yourself and drink some, then you can bring the rest of the bottle to the dining room to have with your meal. If anyone confronts you about the corkage, tell them that one of their colleagues already beat them to it and removed the sticker.

Apparently, your friends were on a different ship.

You pay the fee when you board. Does not matter where you drink it, or if it has a cork.

And the advice about going back to get your $15 returned is wrong. You are supposed to take any extra bottles to cabin #9235. My wife will take it from you and give you a good night kiss. It would be a cold day in hell that we still had wine left over.

Love you,, Gary!

Just returned Friday (Pearl) 14 day Panama Canal Cruise.

Checked in early. Brought five bottles of wine on board. Going thru security we had the five bottles in plain site. Nothing was said and we walked right on board with them and no corkage fee. We opened each bottle and took them with us to Cagneys, LeBristo (twice), and main dinning room. At no time did anyone say anything.

This is the third time we have brought wine on board;

Alaska (Pearl) - checked in early with 10 bottles of wine. No Corkage Fee.

Hawaii (POA) - checked in about noon with 4 bottles of wine. Had to pay corkage right after going thru security.

Panama Canal (Pearl) - checked in early with 5 bottles of wine. No Corkage Fee.

The key seems to be bringing wine on early before the Corkage Fee desk is set up.

Hope this helps..

So if you somehow get a bottle of wine aboard without buying a sticker, you don't have to hide it in your cabin. Open it yourself and drink some, then you can bring the rest of the bottle to the dining room to have with your meal. If anyone confronts you about the corkage, tell them that one of their colleagues already beat them to it and removed the sticker.

Ah, so your advice to to lie through your teeth. Gotcha. :rolleyes:

Just a follow up about taking your own wine to the restaurants. All we did was take the cork out and then bring the bottle to dinner. After checking in they ask to carry the wine to the table. Nothing was said except very nice wine a couple of times.

We were talking to someone on the ship that had brought their own wine on board. One time at dinner they were asked if they paid a corkage fee. They said no, and then had to pay the corkage fee at dinner. It's just hit and miss on the corkage fee.

BTW, I have no problem paying a corkage fee when asked. And never try to hide wine I bring on board. It's always in plain sight in a wine carrier with bottle showing when boarding and going through security.