Royal Palms

BlondieB

• 1 month later...

was there last week, that info is correct. The waves & surf was so intense we couldn't get out enough to enjoy or swim. The wave was knocking us down and wiping everyone out, filling us with sand and seaweed. We gave up and enjoyed there pool, till it got to busy. Also small beach. we would not go back there. Enjoyed 2 other beaches other years, but don't remember names. One was a public beach.

was there last week, that info is correct. The waves & surf was so intense we couldn't get out enough to enjoy or swim. The wave was knocking us down and wiping everyone out, filling us with sand and seaweed. We gave up and enjoyed there pool, till it got to busy. Also small beach. we would not go back there. Enjoyed 2 other beaches other years, but don't remember names. One was a public beach.

Unfortunately if the waves are bad at Royal Palms on a particular day, they're going to be bad all along Seven Mile Beach, and in fact along most of that whole side of the island. It likely had to do with the wind direction that day. Companies can't really control Mother Nature. :grin: The only thing you can do on a day like that is to enjoy some of the land-based activities that Cayman has to offer, or maybe try heading to Rum Point or one of the smaller beaches on the other side of the island.

We just went last week, it was really nice smooth water. You can actually just use the sand if you don't want to rent a chair to the left of Royal Palms, lots of space to put down a blanket or even bring your own mini cabana tent if you want to (wish I had remembered to pack it). That's left of Royal Palms if you're facing it from the water side. The pool was fantastic (for adults only) to get the icky salt water feel from your body afterwards. Drinks felt over priced but that's GC costs for you. They had some interesting drink mixes on the menu I would have liked to try but this trip was on a budget.

I recommend using the bus to get here. Only $2.50 each! Their transportation system is fantastic on the island. What you'll do is when you get off port wait near the road side for a van with either a 1 or 2 circled on it. If you're on the side of the road they'll flash lights/honk at you to see if you're wanting a ride (no actual bus stops that I saw there). Just give them a wave and pay cash when you get on. Very friendly drivers, I just told them where we were going and were dropped off infront of each stop. I heard stories from others who took it that they were so nice they even drove into residential areas, dropped off passengers and helped carry groceries in. And when they had just passed one lil ol lady coming out a house she just raised one finger and the van stopped and reversed to get her! Too bad their system would never work in the states.