Noordam HAL Laundry Service

justgina4u

Hi, is anyone aware if HAL has unlimited laundry service available? I notices some thread but the dates were from 2010 so I wasn't sure if they still offer the service or the cost. any help will be appreciated. thank you

Yes, HAL has unlimited laundry packages. They run from roughly $7 - $9 a day. Call ship's services at 1-800-541-1576 or inquire at the front desk.

We were on Noordam for a Christmas cruise and had the unlimited laundry package. It was $7/day & had great service!

Enjoy -- Noordam was a wonderful ship with fantastic crew!

Thank you. I assume I inquire then at the front service desk when I arrive on board the Noordam for the unlimited laundry package. That will help with packing lighter luggage.

Thank you. I assume I inquire then at the front service desk when I arrive on board the Noordam for the unlimited laundry package. That will help with packing lighter luggage.

Yes. They'll post it to your account. The bag should be in the closet. Just remember that it's laundry and not dry cleaning. Only send out things that can be machine washed.

It's really nice to come home with clean clothes.

Besides the $7 per night unlimited package (where you stuff a laundry bag approx. 16 inches high with a 10 inch diameter), there is also a flat rate per stuffed laundry bag of $20 or $25.

You can also pay by the piece. Think dry cleaning rates per piece.

When we have used the unlimited laundry option, the savings over paying per piece was around 50 to 60%.

Question:

Is it more interesting to take an "unlimited laudry package" rather than giving the laundry let say every 3 days and pay per piece? :confused::confused:

If you need dry cleaning, it's charged per item. Regular laundry (wash & fold) is either done by the by the bag, or purchased as unlimited. Generally speaking, the bag is a much better deal.

Take a look at the bag after you undress before bed on the first night. See how much fits. That will help you gauge how much you can fit in a bag and whither to go with the bag at a time or buy the unlimited laundry package.

If you need dry cleaning, it's charged per item. Regular laundry (wash & fold) is either done by the by the bag, or purchased as unlimited. Generally speaking, the bag is a much better deal.

Take a look at the bag after you undress before bed on the first night. See how much fits. That will help you gauge how much you can fit in a bag and whither to go with the bag at a time or buy the unlimited laundry package.

Saw a tip on here years ago.....roll up the clothes as tight as you can...you can get a lot in those bags!

Question:

Is it more interesting to take an "unlimited laudry package" rather than giving the laundry let say every 3 days and pay per piece? :confused::confused:

Unless you are having just a few things washed, either the unlimited or 'by the bag' pricing will be better than by the item.

Before HAL offered 'free' laundry for 4* Mariners, we used the 'all you can cram' bag of laundry on a cruise. Back then it was $12 per bag. However, we were charged by the piece for one bag. It was over $80 for that one bag. :eek: Even though we showed them our copy and the returned copy of the laundry form (both clearly marked for 'by the bag') it took the Front Desk several days to "investigate" our claim that we were overcharged. In 'fixing' the overcharge, we were then charged for two bags, not one. Back to the 'always smiling, never helpful' Front Desk to get that straightened out. :rolleyes:

Unless you go for the unlimited laundry, keep your copies of the laundry form, even after the laundry has been returned, to verify the charges to your account.

Edited by Mary Ellen

I would suggest that you telephone HAL Ship Services Department at 1-800-541-1576 and inquire. You can purchase the Unlimited Laundry Package before you sail, if you wish, or you can purchase it at the Front Desk of the ship after you board. Before you sail, it is put on your charge card and you pay for it immediately rather than having it put on your on-board account.

I used the Unlimited Laundry Package on the 2012 WC of the ms Amsterdam, and it was wonderful! My clothes came back folded or on hangers.

I am to be on the ms Maasdam on 31 Oct - 12 Dec, 2014, on the "Atlantic Explorer" voyage of 42 days. The Unlimited Laundry Package is $6 per day on this voyage. This is considerably higher than it was on the WC in 2012! But I think it is worth it if you don't want to spend three or four hours each time you do your own in the self-serve launderette. Also, you don't have to make sure you have quarters! And, remember, this does not include Dry Cleaning.

I am a 3-star Mariner, so the price quoted above may reflect this HAL status.

Edited by ColumbiaSC
Clarification

You don't want to pay for laundry on a per piece basis, that is unless you're trying to spend a great deal of $$$ for nothing.

Before you decided on the per bag or unlimited method, take a good look at how many of you there are, and where you're going. If there are two of you, and you are sailing in hot climates, you may want to send your clothes at the end of every day---regardless of whether or not the bag is full. In that case, the unlimited is great. If there is only one person, especially in cooler climates, things can be reworn, and it may take most of the cruise to fill a bag.

Unless you are having just a few things washed, either the unlimited or 'by the bag' pricing will be better than by the item.

Before HAL offered 'free' laundry for 4* Mariners, we used the 'all you can cram' bag of laundry on a cruise. Back then it was $12 per bag. However, we were charged by the piece for one bag. It was over $80 for that one bag. :eek: Even though we showed them our copy and the returned copy of the laundry form (both clearly marked for 'by the bag') it took the Front Desk several days to "investigate" our claim that we were overcharged. In 'fixing' the overcharge, we were then charged for two bags, not one. Back to the 'always smiling, never helpful' Front Desk to get that straightened out. :rolleyes:

Unless you go for the unlimited laundry, keep your copies of the laundry form, even after the laundry has been returned, to verify the charges to your account.

good tips on the laundry service. cruise is nearly here.

You don't want to pay for laundry on a per piece basis, that is unless you're trying to spend a great deal of $$$ for nothing.

Before you decided on the per bag or unlimited method, take a good look at how many of you there are, and where you're going. If there are two of you, and you are sailing in hot climates, you may want to send your clothes at the end of every day---regardless of whether or not the bag is full. In that case, the unlimited is great. If there is only one person, especially in cooler climates, things can be reworn, and it may take most of the cruise to fill a bag.

So true, we are cruising Caribbean so it will most l likely be warm weather.

If you send out daily are the clothes back the next day?

Mine have been back the next day, for the most part.

I leave the bag on the bed when I head out for the evening. I have had the laundry returned as early as the next morning breakfast, and sometimes the next afternoon. The most typical return time I've had, though, is at turn-down the next night.

HAL does advise to give them 48 hours. I have often wondered if the laundry comes back faster if the bag doesn't have much in it. :confused:

I have the unlimited laundry. When in a hot climate I come in from the day to get ready for the evening, and toss in that day's clothes. Not much in the bag, and what's there can be tuck into that giant industrial size washer with ease.

I have often wondered if the laundry comes back faster if the bag doesn't have much in it. :confused: .

Based on my rigorous scientific experiments, I can state with reasonable certainty that the bag's fill level doesn't impact the return speed.

I have noticed, however, that your laundry and dry cleaning almost always come back when you are taking an afternoon nap. :D

I have noticed, however, that your laundry and dry cleaning almost always come back when you are taking an afternoon nap. :D

Mine seems to come back when I'm out of the cabin---breakfast, lunch, or evening. They hide around the corner watching for me to leave, then sneak it back when I'm not looking. ;)

We plan to utilise the unlimited laundry package on our upcoming Noordam cruise and I have read on some other threads that sometimes items can be damaged. Is this because they generally use a hot wash? Can a cold wash be requested?

Thanks in advance.

Unlimited laundry is a great way to reduce your luggage. If we're doing a pre-cruise visit somewhere we send out our laundry the day we board ship and that way we start our cruise with fresh clothes. If we're doing a post-cruise we do essentially the same thing.. just remember that you can't send out anything the night before you de-embark.

If you send out daily are the clothes back the next day?

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We are 4 star and were just on the Maasdam for 63 days and the Noordam for 21 days. We normally leave the laundry for our stewards when we go to diner and all but twice it was back the next day - those times it took 2 days. Did not seem to relate to how much was in the bag.

What about having clothes ironed as well as washed? I like wearing linen and am looking forward to doing so on our upcoming Noordam cruise. Is ironing included in the unlimited package for selected items?